Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

I use a mix of Seachem Reef and RC, probably moving to all RC soon. My requirement is that I can buy them in a box with individual packages I can move without hurting my back. This limits me to IO, RC, Kent, and Seachem.

I really like the speed that Kent mixed at, I don't see a need for you to switch. I didn't have a good reason to switch away from it and I will probably switch back at some point. My only complaint was the bags inside the box were sometimes broken while RC and Seachem use thicker higher quality bags. Not salt quality related. :)

I always order the buckets so I have another bucket if I need it. But, agreed. They are a pain to move.
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

BTW, I found four more of these on my glass yesterday which likely means there are more!

My banded trochus have been getting busy! I'm 90% positive this is not a collonista snail. It's definitely conical in shape and has the extra spider leg like features that the larger ones have. This little guy is only like 1-2mm! ;)

babytrochus20141028_zpsd0c289dc.jpg

• Like 4
Mr. Microscope

..and..

the dosing situation seems to be improving.

I've been following Mark's advise on basing my dosing only on Alkanilinty. Consumption didn't change overnight, but things seem to be leveling out a little. Last night, after my water change, I balanced out Alk and Ca (Alk was 8.1, but Ca was 425, I raised Alk to 9 which is balanced to 425), and raised Mg from 1360 to 1400. This morning, Alk was at 8.4 not 7! Yay! I only had to dose 15 mL Alk and Ca. Hopefully, it will be the same situation tonight and continue to stay relatively stable.

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

Well, now Alk seems to be dropping to 7.7 after 12 hours, but that's still better than 7 where it was. I'm dosing 30mL of alk and Ca in the morning and the evening (60 total).

Mr. Microscope

Great growth pics.

Thanks neuwave! I'm going to have to make an animated gif or timeline with growth pics sometime down the line. It's my goal to continue to take a pic of each of these every two weeks.

On that Palmer's Blue, the two new growth spots in the middle of the two branches are getting close to one another. I imagine the two larger branches will form into one soon. It's gonna be table city in there in a few months!

Mr. Microscope

GRRR!!!!
:rant: :rant: :rant:

My Jebao WP-10 stopped working last night. I've been maintaining it well and thoroughly cleaning it and the thing still died. Again, tonight I disassembled it and gave it a cleaning and still no luck. I'm pretty sure it's the motor on the wet side that gave out.

Any suggestions on what to do?

GRRR!!!!

:rant: :rant: :rant:

My Jebao WP-10 stopped working last night. I've been maintaining it well and thoroughly cleaning it and the thing still died. Again, tonight I disassembled it and gave it a cleaning and still no luck. I'm pretty sure it's the motor on the wet side that gave out.

Wish I did, I have two Jebao 25s and they've not had issue yet. Is it still within the year? Do they replace?

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Wish I did, I have two Jebao 25s and they've not had issue yet. Is it still within the year? Do they replace?

Glad to hear yours are still doing well. I think mine is less than a year old. I'm not sure if they will replace them, but I just found this. http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-WP-10-Aquarium-Wavemaker-Controller/dp/B00INTDJLC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Looks like the price dropped again. $36! Though, it's Amazon. I don't really want to support that company anymore. Supposedly, they're pretty crappy to their employees. hmm...

Supposedly, they're pretty crappy to their employees. hmm...

If you ask the right people most places are crappy, just like if you ask the other right ones many places could be the best place to work for. ;)

• Like 5

Growth is looking good! Really look forward to seeing that nasuta grow out more :)

By an mp-10 :D. Sure might not be the cheapest initial investment but I can't say I know of any Jebao powerheads still in use after 6-7+ yrs (like the ones in my old LFS, and they weren't even regularly cleaned LOL). Heck my mp40 has always been ran at 100% (in reef crest mode) and is still dead silent (properly aligned) after 3yrs.

• Like 1

If you ask the right people most places are crappy, just like if you ask the other right ones many places could be the best place to work for. ;)

This.

You just have to decide how much you want to spend on a new one, or if you wanna try to get a replacement through warranty.

That sucks though...

• Like 1

You just have to decide how much you want to spend on a new one, or if you wanna try to get a replacement through warranty.

Or how long you want to wait on trying to get a warranty replacement as I have heard the process isn't easy or fast.

• Like 2

My WP10 stopped when i first got it. The motor is pretty simple so either the electronics died or something is preventing the rotor from turning. Does it want to spin at all, or is it really lifeless? If lifeless then check the cords. This is simply electromagnetism used to spin the rotor, no moving parts. If the rotor doesn't move or turn at all when powered, and it's not jammed and can be moved freely with your hand, then a wire or something else must have broken.

Mine was jammed and could not turn freely.

You probably know this, but just in case. :) Glad to hear the Alk dosing is going well!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Does that Gyre have a battery backup, or do you need to ghetto rig that?

The pump itself just runs on 24VDC like Vortech pumps, so a battery backup would be pretty simple, but there is an official solution from Maxspect coming early next year.

• Like 4

Glad to hear yours are still doing well. I think mine is less than a year old. I'm not sure if they will replace them, but I just found this. http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-WP-10-Aquarium-Wavemaker-Controller/dp/B00INTDJLC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Looks like the price dropped again. $36! Though, it's Amazon. I don't really want to support that company anymore. Supposedly, they're pretty crappy to their employees. hmm...

I don't work for Amazon but I have first hand knowledge of their treatment of employees. I'm a paramedic by trade and their are two giant Amazon distribution centers in my coverage area. During the summer they don't run any kind of ventilation or AC in those warehouses and work their people like dogs. It gets so bad in there that we started posting an ambulance on the property because we were hauling so many people out of there for exhaustion. This past summer it wasn't so bad though. I think someone made them clean up their working conditions a little.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Growth is looking good! Really look forward to seeing that nasuta grow out more :)

By an mp-10 :D. Sure might not be the cheapest initial investment but I can't say I know of any Jebao powerheads still in use after 6-7+ yrs (like the ones in my old LFS, and they weren't even regularly cleaned LOL). Heck my mp40 has always been ran at 100% (in reef crest mode) and is still dead silent (properly aligned) after 3yrs.

Thanks Chris! Me too. It looks bigger every time I look at it. BTW, I'm still not 100% (or even 75%) sure it's actually a nasuta. If you have another thought on ID, feel free to throw it out. Nasuta is just my best guess based on growth morphology.

I have an MP-10. I keep it on long pulse mode all the time. The WP-10 was my secondary pump to try and clear up some dead spots.

This.

That sucks though...

Or how long you want to wait on trying to get a warranty replacement as I have heard the process isn't easy or fast.

Yeah..I'm really not one to mail things back and wait for a replacement. $36 isn't too bad to replace it. Perhaps I can find another website from a smaller company with a comparable cost. I believe this one is an older model which is why they're selling it cheaper.

My WP10 stopped when i first got it. The motor is pretty simple so either the electronics died or something is preventing the rotor from turning. Does it want to spin at all, or is it really lifeless? If lifeless then check the cords. This is simply electromagnetism used to spin the rotor, no moving parts. If the rotor doesn't move or turn at all when powered, and it's not jammed and can be moved freely with your hand, then a wire or something else must have broken.

Mine was jammed and could not turn freely.

You probably know this, but just in case. :) Glad to hear the Alk dosing is going well!

Once again. Solid advice from Mark! Thank you!

Here's what I think might have caused the issue, but I don't understand why. I had the pump off for some target feeding. While it was off, a snail made its way into the unit. This may have happened before or after I turned it back on as I didn't notice right away that it wasn't turning (the control box still seems okay, lights up, made me think all was okay). If it got in there before I turned it back on, it could have obstructed the impeller, but I don't see why that would have killed the device.

Good point about electromagnetism. I cleaned it and the impeller is free. I can spin it manually and it catches in two places magnetically (it does that without the power on too). I didn't notice any issue with the cord, but I wasn't looking for anything. I'll check it out more thoroughly when I get home tonight. It does seem like a power issue the more I think about it.

Thanks again Mark!

cough cough gyre cough cough

I would LOVE a Gyre! Don't have the cash for that at the moment though. Perhaps when they come out with the smaller version (unless you have an extra laying around ;) )

I don't work for Amazon but I have first hand knowledge of their treatment of employees. I'm a paramedic by trade and their are two giant Amazon distribution centers in my coverage area. During the summer they don't run any kind of ventilation or AC in those warehouses and work their people like dogs. It gets so bad in there that we started posting an ambulance on the property because we were hauling so many people out of there for exhaustion. This past summer it wasn't so bad though. I think someone made them clean up their working conditions a little.

Yes, I heard a couple of podcasts with interviews from people who work there. This first hand info was several years old and from former employees, so perhaps things have changed since then, but there was some messed up stuff. Apparently, you have a count down timer attached to you for retrieving each item. So, it's high pressure all the time. Also, I heard you have to wait in line like a half hour to go through security check when you leave and don't get paid for that time.

That's crazy about the ambulance on the property!

Thanks Chris! Me too. It looks bigger every time I look at it. BTW, I'm still not 100% (or even 75%) sure it's actually a nasuta. If you have another thought on ID, feel free to throw it out. Nasuta is just my best guess based on growth morphology.

I'm not 100% on Nasuta either really, looks close at this stage but time will tell a little better. Regardless I see alot of potential with it and really like those growth tips (which do resemble A. nasuta fairly well IMO).

• Like 1

This picture is awesome. Will you let it grow on the glass? It would be cool to see upskirt pictures as it grows.

Oops! I guess I forgot about this satosa frag on my rack. It grew into the glass. lol!
satosaoops20141105_zpsf7585aec.jpg
Don't mind the dirty glass or pods on it. :lol:

• Like 2