• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

MTWiley

MTWiley

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • Joined 30 Mar 2011

Thinking of getting the 48 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers to light my new SolanaXL67(48"x18"x18") The kit comes with my choice of 40, 60, or 80 degree optic, but I have no idea what optics if any I'd need to get the right lighting on my tank. I'd like to keep a mostly SPS mixed reef. Also if you have any suggestions or ideas for enclosures or ways to make it look a little cleaner/nicer I'd love to hear them.

rapid LED

rapid LED

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2009

Thinking of getting the 48 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers to light my new SolanaXL67(48"x18"x18") The kit comes with my choice of 40, 60, or 80 degree optic, but I have no idea what optics if any I'd need to get the right lighting on my tank. I'd like to keep a mostly SPS mixed reef. Also if you have any suggestions or ideas for enclosures or ways to make it look a little cleaner/nicer I'd love to hear them.

Are the lights going to be put into your hood or will they be hung over the tank? If they're going in your hood then you're going to have a hard time with spotlighting, even with the widest lenses (80's). In our nano kits that go directly into hoods we don't include optics for that reason.

If it's not going inside your hood (doesn't sound like it now that I see you're asking about enclosures), I'd go with the 80 degree optics if the lights will be less than ~12" from the water. If it's more than 15" then go with the 60's.

Unfortunately there are no easy retrofit enclosures out there that I've seen, sorry about that.

MTWiley

MTWiley

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • Joined 30 Mar 2011

Are the lights going to be put into your hood or will they be hung over the tank? If they're going in your hood then you're going to have a hard time with spotlighting, even with the widest lenses (80's). In our nano kits that go directly into hoods we don't include optics for that reason.

If it's not going inside your hood (doesn't sound like it now that I see you're asking about enclosures), I'd go with the 80 degree optics if the lights will be less than ~12" from the water. If it's more than 15" then go with the 60's.

Unfortunately there are no easy retrofit enclosures out there that I've seen, sorry about that.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I was looking at trying to find an old used T5 light and remove the internals and replace them with an DIY LED kit or something along those lines. I really don't want to hang it from the ceiling if I don't have to. Sounds like I'll probably run without optics or might pick up some of the 80s if I find out I need them. I also plan on using the glass top that comes with the tank since we want to keep blue spotted jawfish, is this going to affect the number of LEDs that I need?