ReefCleaners.org

Llj's 5.5g nps pico

lljdma06

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tank is looking great. Did a good job during the move. Really jealous of it. That aquarium is nice, I need to find one like that. Good luck.

Oh thank you! I'm very happy. Was nervous about the move, but I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. The tank can go in a very nice direction now. :)

skunk cleaners do not go for $120 per shrimp, your LFS is feeding you lies lol

Well as there aren't even any stores that sell stuff online down here, proof is tricky. But here's a thread on the MASA forum discussing the prices ($100-150):

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...60&p=596779

LLJ you were right. Apparently we cannot import any inverts into Australia, so they all have to be collected from our shores, and perhaps aren't as common around here (no idea where the ones you buy are from).

Anyway ... sorry for the hijack, llj! Tank is looking lovely =0)

Well as there aren't even any stores that sell stuff online down here, proof is tricky. But here's a thread on the MASA forum discussing the prices ($100-150):

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...60&p=596779

LLJ you were right. Apparently we cannot import any inverts into Australia, so they all have to be collected from our shores, and perhaps aren't as common around here (no idea where the ones you buy are from).

Anyway ... sorry for the hijack, llj! Tank is looking lovely =0)

No problem with the hijack. I had a feeling things were that way in Australia. It stinks, but in a way, with all the beautiful invertebrates that Australia has naturally, maybe not a bad thing. Look at FL. Already because our regulations are not so tight, we have a breeding population of Lionfish and who knows what else? Very damaging to the native ecosystem.

Thank you for the complement.

L

Well, one is named after a member here who was extremely generous to me when I was first starting out in the hobby. I joke to him that he's the only thing on the planet that maybe eats more than my Orange sun. The black sun doesn't yet have a name, but I'll confess I'm a bit dense, what's the reference?

L

Louis XIV, The Sun King ;)

Ah, geez... I AM dense. :lol:

I can't help it, I'm a former French teacher, want to make sure people pronounce it right. Sometimes it backfires . . . .

You might name your critters after Baroque musicians, Johann for instance. Or, if you have trumpet corals they could be Purcell. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I can't help it, I'm a former French teacher, want to make sure people pronounce it right. Sometimes it backfires . . . .

You might name your critters after Baroque musicians, Johann for instance. Or, if you have trumpet corals they could be Purcell. :D

Haha, that's cute. Actually most of my stuff is named after totally random things. It's funny. I need to find that random name thread and add my stuff.

What LFS did you get the tank and the pom pom crabs @?

The tank was from a LFS on SW 88th street and 117th Avenue in West Kendall. Aquarium Depot is the name. Now, the pompom crab is from a LFS on SW 147th avenue and I want to say 120th street called Reefsmart Aquariums. The owner of Reefsmart's been a hobbyist for over 30 years. She gets crazy stuff in and orders what ever I want. My jawfish are from her as are my sun corals. The best thing is that she's like 5 minutes from my house. It's awesome.

Some random pictures...

Speaking of the pompom, it shed, how gross! Ewwwwww...

d542e8c0.jpg

Sun corals. The black sun is so consistent, the orange sun is more of a challenge, but it's fat and eating. I'm still waiting on my red sun. Maria, the LFS owner, is still working on it. :)

fdf97b3b.jpg

4804e46a.jpg

f417ed3b.jpg

7ff58cfa.jpg

57fdfe20.jpg

And OMG! I know I buy a lot things but I KNOW I didn't buy this little guy! It's not an emerald, sally light foot or anything like what I've seen. He's tiny, a third the size of my pompom, if that.

th_3e353f95.jpg

fts

23f9c857.jpg

Thanks for looking. This tank also gets a water change today. I've got a head cold, but must care for the children. :)

L

Mr. Microscope

Nice little pico! I really like the upgrade.

Cool find on that HH crab! Keep an eye on it though. Sometimes mystery crab + corals = :(

Nice little pico! I really like the upgrade.

Cool find on that HH crab! Keep an eye on it though. Sometimes mystery crab + corals = :(

Thanks, it's a nice little tank. I like the wider footprint & that it comes with a glass cover.

I haven't seen the mystery crab since. :( I posted the video in the id section, but my video's too crappy.

Will watch out for him.

• 2 weeks later...
your tank looks awesome! I absolutely love all of the nps. When I get some I will definitely look to you for advice.

Thank you, picodope. Going nps has been a challenge, but it's very rewarding.. :lol: Oh, don't come for me for advice. I really suck at this. I'm just doing my best is all. Time will tell, my system may fall apart at any moment. Try me in a year if I'm still keeping things alive. I'm just learning like everybody else and claim no special skills other than enthusiasm and hardwork.

Time for an update...

I have been feeding the suns for a while and am getting used to things (routine feedings & water changes, like a crazy woman) in an nps tank. I'm taking a risk and adding my first gorgonian. A Diodogorgia nodulifera. Very small, cost me $10, so it's a $10 mistake if it doesn't do well. These are actually native to the Caribbean, so if this does well in the 4g, I'll consider larger pieces for the high current areas of my 36g, or I'll create high current areas in the shade for them. They like dim spots, and high flow. Well, the 4g tank has dim spots and flow like crazy.

These are the easiest of the gorgonians and I think a good starting place for me. I have my dreams to keep perhaps a blueberry gorgonian years and years and years down the road, but right now, I'm perfectly satisfied with this one. It's beautiful. OMG. I wasn't expecting much. I hear they are tough to get open sometimes.

When I first put it in... Haha, I was so happy when some polyps extended. Boy! Was I in store for something truly special. It doesn't take much to impress me. :rolleyes:

2a5ef064.jpg

th_5c7d1783.jpg

Then my scarlet hermits kept knocking it over and I was getting nervous. I didn't want to damage it. They are kind of fragile. I finally found a position where it seemed secure for now. And it started to open...

54a0e881.jpg

3b968644.jpg

th_bb7d9e24.jpg

OMG, when this thing is extended, it's truly stunning. I love it. It's very Christmasy, isn't it?

1ff53888.jpg

Right now, It eats the cyclops ease I drop in to entice the suns, but I'm also beginning to add to the mysis water some zoo plankton (Kent marine at 800 microns, and Brighwell aquatics which ranges from 500 microns to 2kmicrons I guess?). Unless my evil cleaner shrimp sits on it, it's been extending all day. For now. I haven't had it very long at all. Time will tell. I also have to be aware that I need to check my Ca levels now.

I also have an updated video of Mr. Mystery, the hh crab. He's still teasing me... I'm working on an id. :)

th_6e475d77.jpg

Still need to upgrade my refugium. It's ready to go, I just don't want to knock down the gorgonian now. :lol:

Thanks for looking and Happy Holidays to all of you!

L

That gorg is stunning! I actually talked Ang out of getting another gorg for her tank, given she already has an NPS gorg and the suns ... but it was a really pretty yellow and now I almost feel bad seeing how stunning yours is!

• 3 weeks later...
That gorg is stunning! I actually talked Ang out of getting another gorg for her tank, given she already has an NPS gorg and the suns ... but it was a really pretty yellow and now I almost feel bad seeing how stunning yours is!

Hehe, it got even prettier... :D

th_0c238b6a.jpg

Following...updates?

I'm so sorry. There are a few, but I haven't taken good pictures yet, so you'll have to settle for an iPhone update. I switched out the gsp for mushies and removed all traces of rhodactis. I actually caught a rhodactis trying to eat a porcelain crab, so no more rhodactis.

Video of my Porcelain anemone crab. He sooooo cute. :wub:

th_e81aba1e.jpg

Crappy, crappy, crappy fts

c045ec0f.jpg

c409ba07.jpg

Sorry, I'll do better for next time. Ooooooh wait, upgraded the refugium light to the same lighting as the display. Now fuge is bursting with chaeto. Must thin it out Saturday. Hate throwing it away. :(

L

Hi all, new gorg, well as of last week, but work's been busy.

e39f569b.jpg

th_bd75f718.jpg

And finally got my sun coral. After two months

484f745f.jpg

th_3eeeedc0.jpg

Hehe, nipple coral

d684284e.jpg

Gonna add pods to this tank. It's got some already, but I want more. Also, will be moving the Aqua clear 50 from the 8g to this tank. Yeah, I know, I just upgraded the fuge. Promise, no more upgrades.

L

That new gorg is pretty, and love the sun corals!

Thanks. I like them.

Upgraded the refugium to the old 8g's Aquaclear 50. Did a water change. Things are ok. Added 1/2 bottle of Dr. G's pods to my refugium too.

Some problems... well not really problems yet, more like, I don't want problems to develop.

1. Must come up with a better feeding regimen. With all the gorgonians and suns now, feedings are going to really take a toll on water quality. I may do smaller water changes more often and feed more often but with less in each feeding. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cleaner shrimp needs to be moved. He's stealing food from the nps corals. I'll be replacing him with something else. Maybe a squat lobster or sexy shrimp. He'll be great in the 8g.

3. I can't find my panda goby. I can spot him everyday and I couldn't yesterday. :( It's entirely possible he may be dead. I've seen him eat only on occasion. They are very small fish & fragile. Part of the reason why I purchased the pods. If he's dead. I'll be gutted. My first major livestock loss. :tears: Checked params, they are great. I dunno...

EDIT: I found my panda goby. He ok. :D

L

liz i would say go with some sexy shrimp, they will host various coral, clean algae coatings of gorgs and keep your tank clean, plus they are cool.

now how big is your refugium? if it is a nice big one then i would say get some fast growing macros in there to start sucking up nitrates, phosphates will be a big problem, they will stop your suns from laying new skeleton so run a good phosphate remover. look up PO4 x4 phosphate remover, its new on the market and shows great promise.

if you think you can hook up an auto feeder (if you want to discuss how let me know) then i would suggest running bio pellets and hooking up a big boy skimmer BUT this will strip your water so you will need to feed harder.

food for thought

liz i would say go with some sexy shrimp, they will host various coral, clean algae coatings of gorgs and keep your tank clean, plus they are cool.

I'll see if I can track them down. My porcelain crab had a bad accident with the uptake tube of my refugium so I think I'm going to wait a bit and see if he's ok.

now how big is your refugium? if it is a nice big one then i would say get some fast growing macros in there to start sucking up nitrates, phosphates will be a big problem, they will stop your suns from laying new skeleton so run a good phosphate remover. look up PO4 x4 phosphate remover, its new on the market and shows great promise.

My refugium is really only a converted aquaclear 50 filter. It already has chaeto in it. I need to thin it out already. Haha, I keep upgrading the refugiums to account for the growth. I'll check out the phosphate remover. Right now, I don't have algae in the actual tank.

if you think you can hook up an auto feeder (if you want to discuss how let me know) then i would suggest running bio pellets and hooking up a big boy skimmer BUT this will strip your water so you will need to feed harder.

food for thought

Hahaha, food for thought, I like that. I don't think I'll go the automated feed route. But I'd like to distribute my feedings more efficiently. Right now, I'm just doing one.

L

In that case go with the macro and phosphate remover.

The bigger your algae bed the better, many small NPS tanks actually have sumps/refugiums that are vastly larger then the display and are jammed with algae.

Archived