252 replies to this topic

jam77

jam77

PAXTON POWERED

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • Joined 25 Aug 2010
  • Chicago, IL

Tron is a bad influence lol. I added a Midas blenny as well because of his pictures. They are awesome fish. Great looking tank !

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010

Tron is a bad influence lol. I added a Midas blenny as well because of his pictures. They are awesome fish. Great looking tank !

Thanks! Any issues with your blenny wanting to check out the other side of the glass? I love mine and its personality. Other than the jumping and it occasionally chasing my small cleaner shrimp and nipping at my chromis it is fine. I am so glad my dog wasn't wandering around that moment!

jam77

jam77

PAXTON POWERED

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • Joined 25 Aug 2010
  • Chicago, IL
Not yet I have a glass top on my tank but there is space that isn't covered so I hope he doesn't find the opening. How do you like the radion ? I want to switch out my halide for led but I'm torn between the sol and radion. I most likely will upgrade to a 90 gallon and I like the idea of only having to run two radions vs three sol fixtures to cover the tank. So that's going to play a huge part in my upgrade choice.

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,109 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal
look at this, another great tank here on NR! omgomgomg

ek9vboi

ek9vboi

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Joined 02 Jun 2006
  • South FL
Looking good, you got me thinking about that Radion now. I was planning on custom LEDs + a controller.

Reef Diaries: 56G Reef Savvy Tank - ATI Powermodule 6x39w - EcoTech Vortech MP40wES
Neptune System Apex - Jebao DC12000 - BM Curve 5 Skimmer

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,109 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal
Also does your Benny have a blue butthole?

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010

Not yet I have a glass top on my tank but there is space that isn't covered so I hope he doesn't find the opening. How do you like the radion ? I want to switch out my halide for led but I'm torn between the sol and radion. I most likely will upgrade to a 90 gallon and I like the idea of only having to run two radions vs three sol fixtures to cover the tank. So that's going to play a huge part in my upgrade choice.

I am loving the Radion. I've been following reef lighting technology for about five years now and when it finally came down to it this year I was between the AI Sol and the Radion. What got me in the end was styling, 135 degree optics, lack of spotlighting, modularity, output and the computer programing.

I need to do an updated writeup on it but it is amazing. The tank glows with light just like a MH bulb, I can customize the light to ANY color temp, program it for any thing I want easily, or set it to natural mode and pick my ocean depth, and it just works. My corals are growing like crazy since I got it. Everything in my tank loves it and is reacting about the same as I have seen them in the ocean.

The AI Sol is a fantastic product, but I like being able to have detailed control over the light, and the 135 degree optics give me great spread without harsh shadows or dark areas. I wasn't sure at first, but I haven't regretted it.

look at this, another great tank here on NR! omgomgomg

Thanks!

Also does your Benny have a blue butthole?

It does, oddly enough! I haven't seen any others at the LFS that do.

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,109 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal
Cool, A member here thinks that could mean its male. Just wondering how yours looked. :)

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010

You might check out Mark Callahan's reef. He tested it against his MH on his 90 gallon, then finally switched to two over it. He loves it and it fits his needs perfectly. It helped me a lot. http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/radion/

Cool, A member here thinks that could mean its male. Just wondering how yours looked. :)

I have no idea. I'll have to check into it. I don't think my reef is big enough, but I wonder if they can be bred in captivity if you can differentiate between a male and female...

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,109 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal
That would be awesome. One time I did see a couple of Midas Benny's in the same tank at the Lfs. Wonder if they were a true m/f pair.

Chris George

Chris George

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2009
  • Silverstand Beach, CA
Beautiful tank. I love the clown with the blunt nose.

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State
I'm only posting because I saw a blunt mentioned somewhere.

Edited by siwelk, 09 January 2012 - 10:54 PM.

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

~~ SPS Gawd ~~

• Members
  • 7,430 posts
  • Joined 03 May 2011
  • Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Thanks! Any issues with your blenny wanting to check out the other side of the glass? I love mine and its personality. Other than the jumping and it occasionally chasing my small cleaner shrimp and nipping at my chromis it is fine. I am so glad my dog wasn't wandering around that moment!

Mine is content in his hole & swimming infront of the mp10

Click the CAD Logo for my tank thread ~~~~~~~~>

11395035004_a2fb2433ab.jpg

9473987402_daf10039d2_t.jpgkorallen.pnglogo-grey.png9473996358_a519c17dfc_t.jpg

14604369254_687e597486_m.jpg

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010
Since the carpet surfing episode mine has spent a lot more time in front of his hole, but he has been out in my mp10 current just as much. Glad to see he is ok.

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

~~ SPS Gawd ~~

• Members
  • 7,430 posts
  • Joined 03 May 2011
  • Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Since the carpet surfing episode mine has spent a lot more time in front of his hole, but he has been out in my mp10 current just as much. Glad to see he is ok.

:happydance:

Click the CAD Logo for my tank thread ~~~~~~~~>

11395035004_a2fb2433ab.jpg

9473987402_daf10039d2_t.jpgkorallen.pnglogo-grey.png9473996358_a519c17dfc_t.jpg

14604369254_687e597486_m.jpg

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010
A better blenny shot.
Posted Image

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
  • where the wild things are
Wow.

PSYS

PSYS

Resident Ninja

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2009
  • Oshkosh, WI
Great shot!! B)

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010

Great shot!! B)

Thanks! I need to figure out a way to filter out some of the particles in my water. I don't run a skimmer and the filter floss I am running in my AC50 isn't fine enough to filter some of it out.

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010
The clam-like hitchhiker that has quadrupled in size since I got that frag. If anyone knows what it might be let me know!
Posted Image
Posted Image

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010
Anyone have any experience or thoughts about crocea clams being on the sandbed? I've had mine for over a year and had it on a rock on the sandbed (usually) and it keeps moving off the rock and onto the sand bed and burrowing into it. I don't want it to attach to the bottom of my tank in case I have to move, so I took a piece of acrylic and put it on the bottom under the sand bed, and the the clam seems to have attached to that in the last week. Thoughts?

Spencer7

Spencer7

Smokey

• Members
  • 1,840 posts
  • Joined 18 Mar 2011
  • Greenwich CT
doesn't sound like a problem, i have a maxima that always moved to the bottom of my tank, as long as it is healthy and happy, go with the flow...
Looks like everyone is loving the Radions!

7092393489_6d7c307e11_o.jpg

pop-eye-o.gif 

The 35g Cube * Retired*

Stand Build

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010
FTS for February. It took me a bit to get it up. I may retake it later sometime when it is dark and I don't have the reflections on the glass.

Posted Image

Growth shots of one of my birdsnests from last month and this month.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by beau13, 11 February 2012 - 03:42 PM.

PakRX8

PakRX8

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 543 posts
  • Joined 25 Dec 2008
  • Rochester Hills, MI
Looks like you've got a lot of really good growth in the tank.
Posted Image

beau13

beau13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2010
It has been doing really well! I can't wait until some of the green birdsnest frags are big enough to trade in for some more corals or clams.