1 reply to this topic

scoobahSAM

scoobahSAM

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 26 Sep 2011
  • Broomfield, CO

I was wondering if I could mix up the bulb colors in the 12 LED plug n play dimmable retrofit kit?

i.e. 6 RB 3 NW 3 CW? I will also be purchasing 2 extra RB plug n plays to try and achieve a 2:1 color ratio, as well as a few other items if that request is possible.

Also, if this list seems sufficient enough OR if there is an item I am missing OR if there are some things that I will not need would be extremely helpful. here is the list:
  • 1 x 4.25'' x 16'' heatsink
  • 1 x Y-shaped hanging kit
  • 1 x 12 LED p-n-p dimmable retro kit
  • 2 x XP-E solderless RB LEDs
  • 1 x DIY 2 color dimming controller kit
  • 1 x Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver
  • 1 x 120mm Vantec Stealth Fan kit
all bulbs with 80 degree optics (too much optics?)

p.s. I have a standard 20x10x12 10 gallon AGA and have been researching lighting setups for good coral growth and although the items I wish to purchase could easily amount to 2 boostled par 38's with clamps or an ecoxotic led strip build. DIY fixtures seem to give more bang for the buck, as I get the bulbs I want and a more varied range of options such as dimmable drivers... anyone feel otherwise? Honestly, I'd like to know since im not an expert with lighting (AND within lighting manufacturers) in the marine world yet. Thanks all.

rapid LED

rapid LED

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2009
Yes, mixing colors in the kit is not a problem at all. However, you're only going to be able to run 13 LEDs max with two 7 LED Terminals (one of the terminals is only going to run 6 LEDs because you'll be using on slot for a terminal to terminal connector).

Also, while I hardly ever discourage people from running fans I think the 120mm fans are too much in this case. With just 13 LEDs on a 4.25" x 16" heatsink a smaller fan will suffice, I'd try the 80mm instead.

I was wondering if I could mix up the bulb colors in the 12 LED plug n play dimmable retrofit kit?

i.e. 6 RB 3 NW 3 CW? I will also be purchasing 2 extra RB plug n plays to try and achieve a 2:1 color ratio, as well as a few other items if that request is possible.

Also, if this list seems sufficient enough OR if there is an item I am missing OR if there are some things that I will not need would be extremely helpful. here is the list:

• 1 x 4.25'' x 16'' heatsink
  • 1 x Y-shaped hanging kit
  • 1 x 12 LED p-n-p dimmable retro kit
  • 2 x XP-E solderless RB LEDs
  • 1 x DIY 2 color dimming controller kit
  • 1 x Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver
  • 1 x 120mm Vantec Stealth Fan kit
all bulbs with 80 degree optics (too much optics?)

p.s. I have a standard 20x10x12 10 gallon AGA and have been researching lighting setups for good coral growth and although the items I wish to purchase could easily amount to 2 boostled par 38's with clamps or an ecoxotic led strip build. DIY fixtures seem to give more bang for the buck, as I get the bulbs I want and a more varied range of options such as dimmable drivers... anyone feel otherwise? Honestly, I'd like to know since im not an expert with lighting (AND within lighting manufacturers) in the marine world yet. Thanks all.