Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hey! Summer Summer! Smedric Shmiggory's - an ADA 60-F - reef ledge style!

milk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahahaha - still here friends... and foes! just a little update, new, well paid professional pics coming soon! for now.. here is an update

and congrats on the tank marc!

294hsvo.jpg

Sweet tank. Is the water level low? I don't know based on the fact that ADA's are always set up differently. Also, how is the evap with such a huge surface area?

p.s. loving the feather duster

haha - well I setup the overflow on the tank kind of low - there's probably close to an inch open to the top of the glass.. it probably looks lower because of the angle of the pic lol... its proved beneficial though - a few fish have tried to make the jump (i've seen it happen) but stopped by the glass wall!

The revival is back - lots of updates and goodies to be had soon as I get my DSLR back up!

i got a mandarin sooooooo i could name is maaaaaaandyyy

thank you coral reef spirit for this pellet eating fish

11ll8wj.jpg

After about a month and a half from purchasing the spotted ORA mandarin that resides in my tank, I can almost say that he is completely trained to eat prepared foods. He was eating new life spectrum pellets when I got him at the store, and continued to do so for a week while I kept him in a breeder box just to be sure.

I continued to vary his diet from bloodworms, cyclopeeze and mysis - he's now eating all that he can of Rod's food. He looks like a little spotted loaf of bread. Still seeing tons of pods everywhere. I spot feed him new life spectrum pellets whenever I walk by the tank (about 4-5x a day) and see him in his favorite feeding grounds. I usually see him eat about 20+ pellets a day.. or from what he eats and doesn't spit out later.

Everyone else is groovin hard.. clownfish has made her host in the duncan, pagoda and hairy mushrooms. Everything I could expect at the 4.5 month mark!

Low sun comes in through the window just a sliver at dusk for about 20 minutes.. makes for some beautiful images sometimes!

wjaqf9.jpg

tank is so sick milk. great job

Thanks yo - you are a very supportive member of this community; me gusta!

What camera are you using? Those are some really nice pictures. Great tank!

Whoa! awesome so rad! humbled paddy paws - - - I'm using a canon rebel XT with a 50mm prime lens (the lens is really what gets the good shots) .. in my opinion... best lens for the dollar you could ever buy for a canon.

REscaped the tank a little bit yesterday... am working on gluing random pieces of coral and frags from around the tank onto the overflow box.... hopefully will one day turn out like a coral mosaic of bits of encrusting coral.... one will probably kill all the others and take over eventually though (probably that dang sasquatch of an encrusting gorgonian.)

eh just added 1 more turbo snail this evening to make it an even 2... what was weird was I'm pretty sure I've seen baby turbo snails on the rocks after the lights go off.. but I only had one in the tank since I started... don't know the reproductive cycle of Turbo fluctuosa

other news - just a small piece of something I was thinking about - when I first started my tank.. I overstocked the cleanup crew by a good amount, even though I added 3 turbos, a few astreas and about 15 hermits... waaaay too much for the 8.6 gallon display.... Although the tank was not yet mature to sustain enough growth for the grazers, I fed heavily and provided nori daily for this reason... the cleanup crew has dwindled down to 1 turbo (plus the one I brought home this evening) 3 astrea snails and 1 hermit crab plus the skunk cleaner shrimp....

What I was thinking about was how unique each of our tanks are in the ecosystem they sustain..... my ADA 60-f's ecosystem has supported this ratio (i've added more crabs and snails as they dwindled, but my reef seems to like this ratio as what it keeps going back to) but another 60-f might need an entirely different ratio.. Of course this is reliant on the amount of rock, coral and other inhabitants in the tank as well as flow, lighting bla bla bla... but we are truly gods with the little worlds recreate

(takes another drag)

eh just added 1 more turbo snail this evening to make it an even 2... what was weird was I'm pretty sure I've seen baby turbo snails on the rocks after the lights go off.. but I only had one in the tank since I started... don't know the reproductive cycle of Turbo fluctuosa

other news - just a small piece of something I was thinking about - when I first started my tank.. I overstocked the cleanup crew by a good amount, even though I added 3 turbos, a few astreas and about 15 hermits... waaaay too much for the 8.6 gallon display.... Although the tank was not yet mature to sustain enough growth for the grazers, I fed heavily and provided nori daily for this reason... the cleanup crew has dwindled down to 1 turbo (plus the one I brought home this evening) 3 astrea snails and 1 hermit crab plus the skunk cleaner shrimp....

What I was thinking about was how unique each of our tanks are in the ecosystem they sustain..... my ADA 60-f's ecosystem has supported this ratio (i've added more crabs and snails as they dwindled, but my reef seems to like this ratio as what it keeps going back to) but another 60-f might need an entirely different ratio.. Of course this is reliant on the amount of rock, coral and other inhabitants in the tank as well as flow, lighting bla bla bla... but we are truly gods with the little worlds recreate

(takes another drag)

was just talking to a fellow reefer about how our clean up crews have changed over time. im suprised that i have only lost 1 hermit and 2 astreas over the time that ive had the 2 tanks. but ive gained about 5 baby astreas in the last 2 months or so.

Great shots! Your tank looks great. I love the shallow reef look.

Your fish eye lens intrigues me - must acquire appropriate named equipment... i love shallow reefs - I can't see myself every setting up a non-shallow tank - unless it was like a 300g cube...

was just talking to a fellow reefer about how our clean up crews have changed over time. im suprised that i have only lost 1 hermit and 2 astreas over the time that ive had the 2 tanks. but ive gained about 5 baby astreas in the last 2 months or so.

yeah my clean up crew inspires me everyday to get up and start working...

I forgot.. I have a mated pair of bumblebee snails.. I think they are responsible for covering every square inch of my display tank walls and sump (although they are just in the display........ how is this possible!!!!?) With snail eggs.

btw - I never stuck your name to your awesome tank scape I ran across a few weeks ago.. one of the best sloping, size bending aquascapes I've come across online.... I really hope you take it to the bonsai level and keep the illusion of a much great size going with your coral stocking! such a dying art I see in nano-tanks these days.

morning view by incubus is a perfect album

yeah my clean up crew inspires me everyday to get up and start working...

I forgot.. I have a mated pair of bumblebee snails.. I think they are responsible for covering every square inch of my display tank walls and sump (although they are just in the display........ how is this possible!!!!?) With snail eggs.

btw - I never stuck your name to your awesome tank scape I ran across a few weeks ago.. one of the best sloping, size bending aquascapes I've come across online.... I really hope you take it to the bonsai level and keep the illusion of a much great size going with your coral stocking! such a dying art I see in nano-tanks these days.

morning view by incubus is a perfect album

thanks man. i have fallen in love with sps coral as of late so i wanna cover the whole "upper slop" with all kinds. and i have to agree, morning view was perfect. ;)

neonstingray

Beautiful tank! Is that the nano con dientes overflow? If so, I'm now wondering if it may be too big for my 60-P build :-/ I'm not looking for too high a flow rate.

Austin

Beautiful tank! Is that the nano con dientes overflow? If so, I'm now wondering if it may be too big for my 60-P build :-/ I'm not looking for too high a flow rate.

Austin

Thanks! its actually a custom overflow box that a friend make for me out of acrylic.. i forgot the actual dimensions.. i think its 5" wide and 3.5" tall. I don't think its tooooo big, although I've glued some encrusting gorgonian onto it, hoping it will encrust over time. Its actually made a nice shaded area/overhand that my shrimp and occasionally some other normally nocturnal dwellers like to hang out during the day when the lights are on.

I wanted a lot of flow I guess for my algae scrubber that drains into the sump... its loosely modeled after the glass holes overflow boxes.

i think more people need to add foliage, potted plants, around their tanks (at least in the back) that can. it makes for a really cool viewing experience!

btw.... i love the hydor pico powerhead for this tank. The mp10 had a small footprint in the tank, but it was tough to get a good circulating flow through my tank due to the rockwork. The hydor pico allows you to angle the flow, and keep it really close to the surface without sucking in air like the mp10. For such a shallow tank... not so sure if I would put mp10s in these. I didn't really find myself taking advantage of the features.

exploring a different universe - sometimes this guy climbs out onto the exposed rock to get into the little pockets of water to eat detritus.. his shell will get completely dry

33vnqsm.jpg

Archived