Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hey! Summer Summer! Smedric Shmiggory's - an ADA 60-F - reef ledge style!

milk

lol - I had a towel covering the sump that I had running with a heater and a powerhead for the live rock I just picked up yesterday..

My cat decided to jump onto what he thought was a solid surface from the pool table - hilarity ensued

i can haz rox?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I did the first water test today.. was excited. I didn't squeeze the piping on super tight because I wanted to take it off easily, but it turns out some of the connections were leaking a little bit. Guess I could fix that in with some pvc glue or silicon once I finalize the location of the setup.

here's the jump a dump

2a0gdty.jpg

midwl0.jpg

some inspiration I've been using for the tank (and of course, patrice oneal and john frusciante)

5lwd4p.png

2i6kvbs.png

289y5hz.png

silly ol' plumbin

1175iis.jpg

not bullet proof yet

rk0nkp.jpg

Water Test - this looks like a still from an 80s music video to me for some reason

295twu1.jpg

the scape - thats it

der7zn.jpg

and there was one - rock .

286wpz5.jpg

So after some thinking - I realized that the big rock that I had in the pictures prior is sort of skewing away from the ultra minimalist scape that I had originally planned. But now I understand why you never see that.. I don't know if I have the balls to pull that off...

Having that large, porous rock has surprisingly a lot of large entry ways into its inner core.. perfect hangouts for inverts, tailspot blenny and maybe a few eviota's I might get or a pipefish to hunt pods.

With the tiny amount of rock I had originally considered to create a bommie, I didn't really think of the stocking logistics. I'd have to make some sot of cheesy blenny barnacle motel and my poor cleaner shrimp would barely have enough rock to cling to once I get that vortech crankin.

Anyway that being said, here is the ultra minimalist scape I conjured out of some large pieces of gravel I had picked up for the sump; just about enough for a milliepora, monti cap, pagoda parking spot.. NOTHING ELSE.. (maybe a gorgonian, or some macros) :o

img4435h.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The first scape looks more minimal IMO, It also looks more bommie'ish ;)

hey? yeah? far out man - I'll probably go with that rock, its bad ass.

man i really like where this is going. i'm following along.

Thanks gabe - always playa... your ada was definitely an inspiration while it was still poppin

Looks great so far. But I have to ask... what is going on in that hamper?

Picture

Oh that? That happens to be a special kind of anatomy of seduction, where I get all my style from .... my veiled chameleon chiccaronnes!!.. RIP my friend

That's gonna be a nice tank! How are you gonna handle the water drain in case there's power outage? Do you think one single bulkhead will be enough for the overflow? will it be a Durso, or a regular overflow? Sorry many questions, but your project is quite similar to the one I am preparing for myself. Thanks!

That's gonna be a nice tank! How are you gonna handle the water drain in case there's power outage? Do you think one single bulkhead will be enough for the overflow? will it be a Durso, or a regular overflow? Sorry many questions, but your project is quite similar to the one I am preparing for myself. Thanks!

I did a water test on the system the other days and the only kinks were the leaky connections of the pvc, i'll be sealing that nice and tight with some pvc goo - other than that, everything went well. The bulkhead (1") drained plenty and my return pump was perfect.. didn't even have to put a ball valve on it.

The overflow is dead quiet with an acrylic baffle I put over the bulkhead under the top. Its a really easy design..

The loudest part of the system by far seems to be coming from the algae scrubber underneath the cabinet, and its just sounds like trickling water occasionally, for the most part its dead quiet.

I have an 18g sump underneath that I wont be filling all the way in case of a power outage - at most, the tank with drain about 1/2gallon - 1 gallon into the sump ( I think?_).. there will be plenty of room for it..

lookin really good!!

Thanks hawk!

this is a beautiful tank that I found on another forum - unfortunately it isn't mine - anyone know what type of plant it towards the top of the tank? It seems to be some sort of pine joint... probably fake.. it still looks cool!

awesomeshallowrimlessre.th.jpg

littlelactose

I think you should coat ALL of your exposed electrical cords with biter yuck. I mean, you have a whole bottle...

better be safe than sorry

<3

this is a beautiful tank that I found on another forum - unfortunately it isn't mine - anyone know what type of plant it towards the top of the tank? It seems to be some sort of pine joint... probably fake.. it still looks cool!

awesomeshallowrimlessre.th.jpg

That thing is awesome. Love Bommies.

so a good friend of mine tells me too look into salt cedar as a possible clue - found this through columbia university - http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/danoff-bu...amosissima.html

"It has a wide range of tolerance to saline and alkaline soil and water."

don't know if thats the one or not

Anyway - I put everything from old tank into new tank - everything is doing fantastic and I think I finally found my grow out system - I'll post some photos in a bit... I have to introduce a new turtle to the turtle I've had since I was just a blur of a kid. They're both around 15 years old and have never interacted with another turtle before - hope no one gets shot!

That thing is awesome. Love Bommies.

bommies!

better be safe than sorry

<3

Thats what my grandma says when I don't want to hold in a faart

right! yeah.. terry (1) my turtle, seemed to be leading the conversation .. but after an hour of so of jostling,I guess theres only so much a couple of 15 yr old turtles can take.. finally some sleep!

have fun tomorrow steve!

without further adieu, here some shots of the new tank lightly stocked..

the milliepora got a little bleached when I shocked it under the LEDs in the old tank.. it was also shadowed in some part under the pagoda cup and all the rocks and small area for such a big piece in the old 10 gallon. Looks like its coming back though

oh by the way - the scary, shoeprint 2x4 board is just a rustic lighting situation for the moment until I get my track-lighting 'on.

Also gotta hit up steve for an mp10 guard v2.0 to keep that sand from futzin around

I think I did something right on this one though..

euon77.jpg

15dp56e.jpg

xo43yc.jpg

izvup3.jpg

2v30z1e.jpg

2vd0fg7.jpg

2uh1u9z.jpg

fnbg1w.jpg

1675wte.jpg

6hsqyc.jpg

future stocking includes a torch fatty, dendro and maybe a clam eventually.

so far I have the milliepora, pagoda cup, small red monti cap and a duncan in the back

bluestripe pipefish and maybe a couple of eviota gobies

Inverts - going to put a cleaner shrimp, pom pom and maybe a fiddler and some hermits - any suggestions for inverts?

littlelactose

and to top it all off- you vacuumed your carpet to take these pictures!

I know what you mean, i keep thinking about your bulge... and how potentially dangerous a situation it could become.

but mostly i just think about your bulge

Archived