ReefCleaners.org

Breeding Snowflake and Snowcasso Clownfish

smitty_1280

So are they in your DT with rock? The female should have no problem cleaning a spot on the rocks to lay her eggs. This is really a strange situation! I hope it works itself out for ya!

Lol, tell me about it. I got them from somebody else and I really don't know how old they are either. It could be that they are just doing some dry runs and I have no idea what she getting rid of that look like eggs.

Sounds really weird. Have you hit up the peeps on the breeding forums like MOFIB?

Not yet, I keep meaning to. I really need to do that though. Maybe tonight. Thanks for reminding me again lol.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smitty_1280

• Alpha Aquaculture

• oceancube

• Luckedout

So my wife and I are thinking of dividing the 29 gallon tank that is just kind of setting around right now for our three pairs of clowns. I am wanting to divide these using black acrylic, but I'm having a hard time finding some. This would set up behind a false wall behind my 40 gallon that has a 14 gallon tank underneath it. I would probably put a bigger tank underneath for the sump. The sump will be for the 29 gallon and my 40 gallon breeder DT that has softies in it for coral. What would be a good size sump for 69 gallons of water volume in order to keep the water quality up? My current stand is approx 36" long x 17" wide x 27" tall inside. I might be able to convince my wife to let me build a new stand for the 29 gallon since it is just sitting on a metal stand that came with the tank.

I couldn't find black acrylic either so I bought clear and spray painted it with krylon fusion. Worked perfect. Just an idea :D

And obviously the bigger sump the better. But right now I have nine pairs and only around 100 gallons of water volume total. So its possible to do it in a smaller system.

I'll put this reply here as well, but you should be able to find acrylic sheets at TAP Plastics in Seattle, they also have a store in Bellevue. I priced out a black acrylic sheet 2'x2' at 1/8" thickness for $26. I think they'll even cut it for you.

I'll put this reply here as well, but you should be able to find acrylic sheets at TAP Plastics in Seattle, they also have a store in Bellevue. I priced out a black acrylic sheet 2'x2' at 1/8" thickness for $26. I think they'll even cut it for you.

Very cool. I will have to check that out. Thank you.

Here is the thread I started at MOFIB. My username there is smitty1280 lol.

Here are some the responses I got from MOFIB:

Ben wrote:

you have some struture already by the sounds of it maybe they just need time to get use to there new surroundings

I would definately put a pot in there big enough for both of them to be in at the same time

Good luck

Suzy wrote:

I think Ben is right. They need more time to get their nest ready. I think the female has eggs at regular intervals, but if they are not ready to actually "mate" (it's a family website!), she just drops them. At least, that's what seahorses and Catalina gobies do...

I didn't really get a big response on the topic, but I feel that I got quality responses at least. At least they say that it could've been eggs that she was getting rid of.

Is it me, or do you clowns look tiny to be breeding. Are they in a large tank?

Those ones are way to small. I have 3 pairs. The ones you are talking about are most likely the snowcasso's and they have around 2 years before they are ready lol. My pair of snowflakes will be ready in about a year hopefully, maybe sooner. The acquired another pair when I bought a complete set up from somebody else that is ready. They are just regular ocellaris clowns. We are taking this whole project very slow so we don't get overwhelmed and investing in great brood stock from the start.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my ocellaris clowns are actually starting to clean a space in the tank in order to lay eggs. What I was wanting to know is this:

Could I just order Rotifer Starter Kit - Basic from Reeds to start my rotifer culture out with? Or would it be better to just buy Live Rotifers, 1 Million count Then I could feed them with Rotigrow® Plus right? I read Pickle's thread (Pickle’s Guide to Breeding Clowns) but just wanted to ask to make sure.

Edited by smitty_1280

If you've never cultured rotifers before, Reeds starter kit would be good practice until the fish actually start laying eggs. But once you start producing rotifers, you will need to discard some every day (or feed them to something) or they will overpopulate and crash. Products like Rotigrow Plus do have a shelf life...if you were to buy a large bottle or the Liter bag, you'd need to make smaller portions and freeze the rest. I buy the liter bag and pour it into ice cube trays to freeze. Then I defrost a few ice cubes as needed.

Edited by Eileen
  • 3 weeks later...
Doni puts them on her site on saturday mornings...sign up for her e-mail, once it goes out the fish will be put on the site within an hour of it. They go fast!
Thanks!
  • 1 month later...
smitty_1280

We got a new clown today! :) I'm not sure exactly what kind it is, but it looks to be an onyx ocellaris clownfish of some sort.

DSC_1081.jpg

DSC_1071.jpg

DSC_1079.jpg

DSC_1078.jpg

If anybody knows the name of this clown that would be greatly appreciated. I didn't this type of clown on ORA or SA's website.

Mocha clown would be my guess.

+1 Looks like a Mocha Ocellaris - I get them from my Snowflke since he is a black ice (1 B&W parent) the regular ocellaris I get in my hatches darken up like that. I have a really awesome misbar mocha pair from one of my first Snowhatches. I'll see if I can't post a pic of them when I get home tonight.

smitty_1280
Mocha clown would be my guess.

Tahnks! :)

+1 Looks like a Mocha Ocellaris - I get them from my Snowflke since he is a black ice (1 B&W parent) the regular ocellaris I get in my hatches darken up like that. I have a really awesome misbar mocha pair from one of my first Snowhatches. I'll see if I can't post a pic of them when I get home tonight.

Thanks Pickle's. I can always count on you to come to the rescue. I couldn't remember mocha for the life of me today. I knew that is what it had to be, but I was drawing a blank lol. Do you know if the clown will darken up or stay about this same color?

It's pretty dark already - but I would bet it get's a little darker - you can see the mocha tint in my Snowflake in my sig and he is darker then that now... that pic is at least a year and half old.

• 3 weeks later...
smitty_1280

Picked up a new snowflake yesterday for the mocha. It is about 3" already as well and looks great, well at least to us lol.

DSC_1313.jpg

DSC_1315.jpg

I need to clean the algae off the glass and get some good pics of the clown though once it gets settled in to its new home. They seem to be getting along great. I haven't noticed any aggression issues at all. I'm pretty sure it is an ORA clown, I could be wrong on this though.