I have always been one of those folks who kept a freshwater tank. Factoid: I was always too intimidated by the process of a saltwater reef keeping. Several months ago I took that plunge and here is my story....
I did some leg work and homework regarding tanks and came across a used 24g NC with a Oceanic stand in Craigslist. Which I purchased for a sweet deal, the tank, stand, and filtering media were all in prime condition. However, I did not modify anything in this tank (yet) I have barely gotten my feet wet (no pun) and my tank is almost 8 months old (present date) now since I have it up and fully running.
The scape has gone through several rebuilds due to not enough LR. The top of the scape was redone once again...
Since I have moved to New Mexico from California, my tank has suffered minimal issues. Such as, change in elevation (sea level) I have lost a few coral, however most is doing well.
My tank has gone through some basic changes of added and removing inhabitance due to lack of knowledge and experience with the behaviors. I exiled my Azure Damsel (Pic 1), beautiful fish but mean and super territorial. Would not let my clowns move freely around the tank.
24G JBJ Nano Cube
inTank Media rack • Chemi Pure/Purigen 165/Filter floss
Eheim Jager 100w TrueTemp Heater - seasonal use
My LED Manufacture is Ecoxotics:
1 Panorama Pro RGB and remote, 24V - 19Watt
1 12K Panorama Pro with White and 445nm Blue, 24V - 19Watt
1 - 2 way splitter
1 - 60Watt Transformer for the Stunner and Pro
30'ish pounds of Live Rock
6 different types
Live sand - shallow sand bed
None at this time.
Green tip Torch
Pink pulsating Xenia
Nano spike orange gorgonian
Green Star polyps
Purple, Red, Bright Pink, Watermelon mushrooms
Radio Active Dragon eye Zoanthids
Several different variation of Polys
• True Percula Clownfish pair (non-breeding)
• Six Line Wrasse
• Yellow Watchman Goby - isn't yellow anymore due to being trapped in the 3rd chamber of my tank for 6 months when I thought it was dead.
Fire cleaner shrimp
Tiger pistol shrimp - now 2.5 inches long and named Spot
1 Large Fighting conch - named Gary
1 Mexican Turbo snail
2 Bumble bee snail
2 Nassarius snail
1 HUGE well behaved hermit crab
1 Feather Duster and small babies around the tank
- API Master Reef Testing kit. I am lazy and do not test my water as often as I should.
- My water is from Carribean .26, purchase from my LFS. To lazy to mix my water.
- Fluval Sea 3-Ions and Fluval Sea Trace Elements ... I dose 5ml of each twice a week.
- Continuum Aquatics Bio-viv HUFA ... food vitamin supplement for both fish and coral.
- Feeding or crop dusting as I like to refer to it as. I feed every other day depending. Ususally 1st feeding of the week right after 5g water change. Mysis, Oyster Feast, and Marine snow. I also use pellet and flake.
- I allow my tank to sit 24 hours before I routine test on Monday. Since I dose/feed everyone. This way my it allows the inhabitance to absorb/eat what is needed.
- Eheim Jager TruTemp Heater, used only as needed due to weather conditions in California.
My tank receives 8 hours of schedule light time.
Edited by surgicalsense, 25 May 2014 - 07:55 AM.