Pod Your Reef

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

I have always been one of those folks who kept a freshwater tank. Factoid: I was always too intimidated by the process of a saltwater reef keeping. Several months ago I took that plunge and here is my story....

I did some leg work and homework regarding tanks and came across a used 24g NC with a Oceanic stand in Craigslist. Which I purchased for a sweet deal, the tank, stand, and filtering media were all in prime condition. However, I did not modify anything in this tank (yet) I have barely gotten my feet wet (no pun) and my tank is almost 8 months old (present date) now since I have it up and fully running.

The scape has gone through several rebuilds due to not enough LR. The top of the scape was redone once again...

Since I have moved to New Mexico from California, my tank has suffered minimal issues. Such as, change in elevation (sea level) I have lost a few coral, however most is doing well.

FTS 5-25-2014

My tank has gone through some basic changes of added and removing inhabitance due to lack of knowledge and experience with the behaviors. I exiled my Azure Damsel (Pic 1), beautiful fish but mean and super territorial. Would not let my clowns move freely around the tank.

24G JBJ Nano Cube
inTank Media rack • Chemi Pure/Purigen 165/Filter floss
Eheim Jager 100w TrueTemp Heater - seasonal use
MaxiJet 900

My LED Manufacture is Ecoxotics:
1 Panorama Pro RGB and remote, 24V - 19Watt
http://www.ecoxotic.com/rgb-panorama-pro-led-module.html
1 12K Panorama Pro with White and 445nm Blue, 24V - 19Watt
http://www.ecoxotic.com/panorama-pro-module.html
1 - 2 way splitter
1 - 60Watt Transformer for the Stunner and Pro

30'ish pounds of Live Rock
6 different types
Live sand - shallow sand bed

Macros
None at this time.

Corals

Green tip Torch
Pink pulsating Xenia

Nano spike orange gorgonian
Green Star polyps
Purple, Red, Bright Pink, Watermelon mushrooms

Green Goniopora

Radio Active Dragon eye Zoanthids

Yellow Polys

Several different variation of Polys

• True Percula Clownfish pair (non-breeding)
• Six Line Wrasse

• Yellow Watchman Goby - isn't yellow anymore due to being trapped in the 3rd chamber of my tank for 6 months when I thought it was dead.

Fire cleaner shrimp

Tiger pistol shrimp - now 2.5 inches long and named Spot
1 Large Fighting conch - named Gary
1 Mexican Turbo snail
2 Bumble bee snail
2 Nassarius snail
1 HUGE well behaved hermit crab

1 Feather Duster and small babies around the tank

pDtyaiY.jpg

Maintenance
- API Master Reef Testing kit. I am lazy and do not test my water as often as I should.
- My water is from Carribean .26, purchase from my LFS. To lazy to mix my water.
- Fluval Sea 3-Ions and Fluval Sea Trace Elements ... I dose 5ml of each twice a week.

- Continuum Aquatics Bio-viv HUFA ... food vitamin supplement for both fish and coral.
- Feeding or crop dusting as I like to refer to it as. I feed every other day depending. Ususally 1st feeding of the week right after 5g water change. Mysis, Oyster Feast, and Marine snow. I also use pellet and flake.
- I allow my tank to sit 24 hours before I routine test on Monday. Since I dose/feed everyone. This way my it allows the inhabitance to absorb/eat what is needed.
- Eheim Jager TruTemp Heater, used only as needed due to weather conditions in California.

My tank receives 8 hours of schedule light time.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense

Thank you .... I will improve this, but it is a start to something.... however, I am so having techinal difficulties adding this to my signature. To think I work the IT department and I can figure this site out, dueces.

Don't worry :)

I'd move this to the members section (either by PM'ing a mod or making a new thread).

Now here's how you add it to your signature, go here on your profile and click edit my signature:

FWHJQ.jpg

Then from there copy/paste your URL to your thread here like so:

TwS4m.jpg

Except you'll have a different URL and body copy. Does that help? Then just click update my signature and you're set!

Still love those shroomies!

hellllooooo :)

Nice start! I'm glad Joel is here to guide you through the technicalities. My text probably confused you :lol:

The mushies you gave me have settled in the back...of course. They are getting light though, so yay! They can multiply where they are currently located with no problems :)

surgicalsense
hellllooooo :)

Nice start! I'm glad Joel is here to guide you through the technicalities. My text probably confused you :lol:

The mushies you gave me have settled in the back...of course. They are getting light though, so yay! They can multiply where they are currently located with no problems :)

Excellent ... No chica your text did not confuse me. What is odd is that I work with systems all day as you know and I can usually grab this stuff, it is not working as smoothly as I would like. LOL

It is a simple start to the tread.

Excellent ... No chica your text did not confuse me. What is odd is that I work with systems all day as you know and I can usually grab this stuff, it is not working as smoothly as I would like. LOL

Did you look into photobucket?

surgicalsense

Not yet, Gena ... I am getting mad at the site. Hahaha! .... plus my server is becoming bogged down and is not allowing me to update this.

Not yet, Gena ... I am getting mad at the site. Hahaha! .... plus my server is becoming bogged down and is not allowing me to update this.

Well, if you haven't gotten it by the time I get to see your tank...I'll help you. I'm sure you'll have it by then though.

surgicalsense

Thank you ... your awesome. I am fudging around with a few things right now. But it is coming together somewhat. I honestly think I have a, "Case of the Mondays" today.

surgicalsense
Well, if you haven't gotten it by the time I get to see your tank...I'll help you. I'm sure you'll have it by then though.

Lets aim for this weekend if that works for you?

Don't worry :)

I'd move this to the members section (either by PM'ing a mod or making a new thread).

Now here's how you add it to your signature, go here on your profile and click edit my signature:

FWHJQ.jpg

Then from there copy/paste your URL to your thread here like so:

TwS4m.jpg

Except you'll have a different URL and body copy. Does that help? Then just click update my signature and you're set!

Still love those shroomies!

Thank you, :happy: Joel .... I still have shrooms for you too! No worries.

surgicalsense

Thank you Joe! ..... since I am not going to make the frag tank I want, blah. I ordered a really sleek looking frag rack that pismo referred me to.

surgicalsense

Watchman and his wingman. Not an easy picture to get, the shrimp is camera shy and the fact that I have a old camera does not help.

post-69207-1321321456_thumb.jpg

My cleaner ... cleaning. It wanted mysis.

post-69207-1321321558_thumb.jpg

Red mushrooms

post-69207-1321321738_thumb.jpg

More to come ... I need to get more pictures of my new additions and such. :D

surgicalsense
Your cleaner shrimp is a fire shrimp. Very beautiful. I have one in my tank as well.

Yes Sir, it is.... it was soooo darn shy when I first got it. Then one day I decided to hand feed it the shrimp, after that day I had a new buddy... but now, every single time I place my hand in the tank, it is crawling on my arm and such looking for a shrimp snack. It even checks out every single new piece of coral I drop in there assuming it is a tasty snack also until it investigates it. Very cute and yes very beautiful shrimp.

surgicalsense
Cool set up! I was born and raised in the Valley. Still miss it.....sometimes.

-mark

I assure you that your not missing much. I am looking to move out of Cali in the near future anyways..... thank you on the set compliment. :)

This weekend will work for me. Saturday would be best.

Your goby/shrimp pair are fantastic. I wish my YWG didn't die in shipping. I think this week Friday will be 2wks from delivery (14 day guarantee) so I should be able to reorder the YWG Saturday and have it early next week :)

surgicalsense

Good! ... they better send you a new fishy. My YWG was a pain the first couple of weeks until it settled in. I was bummed the fish was acting loco for a bit.

Did you also move the Kenya from the back side?

Corrected.... I think the server for the site if choppy.

Good! ... they better send you a new fishy. My YWG was a pain the first couple of weeks until it settled in. I was bummed the fish was acting loco for a bit.

Are you DJ?

i think you are skipping :D

I didn't touch any of the Kenya in the back.

I hope my new YWG isn't loco. What did yours do?

surgicalsense
Are you DJ?

i think you are skipping :D

In the 80's yaya! j/k

No the server for nr.com is probably freaking out. Almost like a hiccup.

surgicalsense
I didn't touch any of the Kenya in the back.

I hope my new YWG isn't loco. What did yours do?

My goby freaked out. He dissapeared for a week. I though it was smashed under the rock (newbe thoughts, LOL) anyhow. It had jumped over the back of the tank into the pump chamber. The fish was all thrashed and stressed. Then I recusced it, it jumped again but into the second chamber. Then I beginning to have doubts and was thinking about making a net cover for the chambers.

So far so good. Since I did this last scape the fish has settled with his shrimp.

Archived