Cultivated Reef

SaNChEz's New 8g. Innovative Marine

sanchez

So I have yet to PM a mod to get this moved to the AIO section...

But I did add my first corals! A pink paly frag and a frag of some green/orange mixed zoas. We'll see how they do. Pics will come later, having terrible allergies and I don't feel like doing anything haha.

And thanks to iball1804 for the christmas sunfish avatar :)

• 2 weeks later...

So updated crappy pics of my corals!

They seem to be doing well, the zoas open up every day and the palys started out with 4/6 polyps closed tight. They were like that at the LFS as well but now they're all opening up.

6474055887_88c8f084b8_z.jpg

And the red macro I got has bushed up quite nicely, compare these two shots:

6378803081_2691a7d5db_z.jpg

6474055957_cbd14dc29f_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update on tank! I'm starting to get coralline on the epoxy that I used to make the scape, w00t!

Look at all the baby polyps :3

6691424039_e5f8b2fc67_z.jpg

And the one cent macro has kind of exploded:

6691417183_d35b075923_z.jpg

I saw one of these at my lfs. Looks like a good quality all in one desk top set up. Did you up grade anything? Like a bigger pump, or skimmer, or additional light?

Right, lol. Forgot about that :P I actually don't use it, it's just sitting in there. No matter where I pointed it it flung up the ultra fine sand that I stupidly bought.

• 2 weeks later...

Penny macro is takin' off!

6809330275_cdb31db23e_z.jpg

Also, still have that stringy algae that isn't GHA. Replaced the phosphate sponge, carbon sponge and added some chaeto today.

I also added one red leg hermit and two bumble bee snails. Hermit is called Eugene 2.0

• 1 month later...

Updates!

So I started putting a towel over the tank after lights out to keep the stupid fluorescents in the office out. All of my unwanted algae is gone :D

I think the hermit and bumble bees may have helped too, it went away after I added them.

So everything is happily growing, and I'm starting to get coralline on the back wall and also in the YGS's little tubey house.

The pink palys are up to 16 and the zoas are up to 12! Things are goin well so far for once haha.

6818993460_67b27bd3dc_z.jpg

6801455856_48a3d96e39_z.jpg

6947564159_20d9a68693_z.jpg

I find that kinda hard to believe, I've never seen them in the sand. I also have Nassarius, which are in fact sand stirrers, but they eat microfauna as well. They're more carnivores than herbivores.

I think it only affects the microfauna levels if there's enough snails to clear it out in a rather quick window. There's 10lbs of sand in the tank, don't think 2 bumble bees and 2 nass. will clear it all out before it repopulates.

• 2 months later...

Updates!

I'm fighting an algae outbreak at the moment.. but not one that most people come across.

Freakin coraline algae is EVERYWHERE! On the glass, on the pump, thermometer, sand, magnet, snails, crabs... everywhere. It's even on some of my macros lmao. Not that it's a bad thing, I guess the tank is doing really well, but man is it annoying to try to get off the glass :(

Hope the YWG doesn't turn pink!

Archived