inTank Media Baskets

SaNChEz's New 8g. Innovative Marine

sanchez

Here's the live-cam if anyone is interested:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mustardfish

Okay, so some of you may have seen my previous thread http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=284763, about my 3 gallon pico that was in shambles for unknown reasons. So I decided to donate that tank to my Betta fish at home that lives in a little bubble so that he can live out the rest of his years in a nice home. He's going on 4 years old, and for a betta that's about 150 in human years.

6343092488_f2e1501e5f.jpg

Went to the LFS today, started looking at tanks and left with a bunch of new stuff.

Starting with an 8 gallon Innovative Marine Nuvo:

http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nano8-0202.html

It's pretty rad, it's an all in one system with a media rack, a total of 12 watts of LED light with actinics/whites and a neat little stand that goes along with it. It also comes with a glass lid, which is nice to help prevent too much evap. The media rack that it came with is pretty cool, it had three different sponge elements in it, one is for mechanical filtration, one is an activated carbon sponge and the last one is a phosphate reducer (basically a sponge with phosban intertwined). I replaced the activated carbon sponge with a Chemi-Pure mini and lef the Phosphate reducer in there, we'll see how it works. There's a nice little room for a mini-115 nano-skimmer in the back chamber too which is pretty solid.

I also picked up some other stuff, heater, Koralia Nano, sand, rock and some chemi-pure.

Here's the tank as it sits next to the old disgusting one:

6342987778_73d2f68f73_z.jpg

Hoping this tank won't crap out as the other one did, no matter what I did the algae would just come back so.. betta tank it was.

Here's the scape I went with, it's kinda minimal, only two rocks joined by some putty with plenty of caves for the YWG and Hermit that will be living in here. I plan to add corals and whatnot eventually, but for now it will just be the fish and hermit. The rock is that man made stuff, so it's not really coraline covered just yet, hopefully that will change in a matter of months.

6343060570_416f85aae2_z.jpg

Here's how it sits full and settling:

6342341377_c0374d08a6_z.jpg

So that's all for now, I'll keep updating this as time goes on!

Forgot to attach Pics!!

I have had one setup for a a month or too....I got the white one. Very nice. I through a pic up

post-55775-1321303514_thumb.jpg

I have a purple psuedo and a YWG/pistol pair.

Forgot to attach Pics!!

I have had one setup for a a month or too....I got the white one. Very nice. I through a pic up

post-55775-1321303514_thumb.jpg

I have a purple psuedo and a YWG/pistol pair.

Nice!! What lights are you running, doesn't look like the stock LED that comes with it.

Nice!! What lights are you running, doesn't look like the stock LED that comes with it.

No, it was a rapidLED DIY 3w/3b. I use the light the tank came with as a fuge light for by 57 rimless!

Ah, sweet! I like your scape btw. I really hope this stock LED can support coral well. Not hoping to keep any SPS in here at this point, just softies.

Ah, sweet! I like your scape btw. I really hope this stock LED can support coral well. Not hoping to keep any SPS in here at this point, just softies.

Thanks, I was going for a central "pillar" with some ledges for whatever I decide to put in there. I think it came out pretty good.

Here are a couple more pics:

post-55775-1321305524_thumb.jpg

post-55775-1321305516_thumb.jpg

post-55775-1321305531_thumb.jpg

Awesome, I'm stoked to get some corals going in this guy. Might frag some orange zoas from my main tank when I get home :)

Yeah, this tank is heavy in zoas. Just got some Sunny D's......so nice.

So I ordered a CUC from reefcleaners last week.

I ordered 3 florida cerith, 3 nassarius vibex, and 5 dwarf ceriths.

Here's what I got in addition to the 3 ceriths and 3 nass:

6378795341_e6f48b0940_z.jpg

YWG does not seem happy with his new tankmates lmao :P

Thanks John!!

I also got some red Gracilaria and some unknown penny macro. Here's the tank as it sits now:

6378803081_2691a7d5db_z.jpg

I just saw you peeking in the tank! Kinda creepy... :lol:

:creeper: hahahah Yeah, if I get close enough to if you can see my ugly mug :P I forget people may be watching!

Close up of the .01 cent macro that John sent!

6378841191_7f52aaa0d7_z.jpg

awesome, i didnt see this thread until now!

i had my nuvo8 going for a while, until i discovered it had a defect. i transplanted everything last week, but it looks crappy now. =/

i hope all is well with yours!

Nice uStream.

I've considered linking my wi-fi doggie cam on here once I finish my build.

Ya'll can keep tabs on my living room for intruders.

The dog subdues them, then they sleep with the fishes.

:lol:

Nice uStream.

I considered linking my wi-fi dog cam on here once I finish my build.

Ya'll can keep tabs on my living room for intruders.

The dog subdues them, then they sleep with the fishes.

:lol:

Haha, it's a blessing and a curse. I didn't see the YWG all weekend so that was a bit nerve racking, must admit :)

awesome, i didnt see this thread until now!

i had my nuvo8 going for a while, until i discovered it had a defect. i transplanted everything last week, but it looks crappy now. =/

i hope all is well with yours!

All's well so far, it's only been up a week at this point. So far all the params are in check, no sign of a cycle yet. What was up with your nuvo8? Are you getting a replacement or anything?

Also, should I do a small water change yet? Or let it go for another week to see if I get any kind of algae bloom.

I already recieved the replacement.

The false wall wasn't siliconed properly, which led to a breech from the display to the return pump section. This allowed sand and water to move to the back area and clog the pump. Also it wouldn't filter properly since the water was never going through the overflow and down the filter media.

I already recieved the replacement.

The false wall wasn't siliconed properly, which led to a breech from the display to the return pump section. This allowed sand and water to move to the back area and clog the pump. Also it wouldn't filter properly since the water was never going through the overflow and down the filter media.

Gotcha, well glad they replaced it. Is the water supposed to go through the filter media in that chamber? I moved the rack to the smaller chamber to the right so that the water gets pushed up through the media rack. Figured it was more of a tight fit that forced the water through it instead of possibly going around it.

Gotcha, well glad they replaced it. Is the water supposed to go through the filter media in that chamber? I moved the rack to the smaller chamber to the right so that the water gets pushed up through the media rack. Figured it was more of a tight fit that forced the water through it instead of possibly going around it.

It is supposed to utilize the first chamber, the center one is for a heater. At least this is how they had them set up at reefaplooza. It's really dependent on the water level to function correctly. I know what you mean about the water just flowing over the media in The first chamber, so I stuffed filter floss in the space behind it.

Gl with the ywg. I put a yasha/ shrimp combo in mine and I HATE it. They kick up tons of sand, bad enough to where they burried some corals and killed them. I had to completely rescape so that no coral would be near the ground. Everything is off the sands surface at least three inches now. The only good is that my sand stays white and clean from all their excavation.

Oy vey, yeah this guy isn't getting a pistol as I know what kind of havoc they can cause haha. I may move my heater into that chamber, good idea.

I was trying to find this thread in the AIO section, move it over Sanchez !

I dunno how! I put it in the Member's aquarium section lol.

Archived