Cultivated Reef

Wish list

kgoldy

I just cracked open my last jar of Filter Feeders Formula. Going to need some more soon...

The mantis could use some play things too. Do you have any other cheap shelled inverts available for it to hunt? It managed to get all those feeder shrimp... Either that, or they jumped into my back chambers where I can't see them. He seems to have a liking for crabs- but they've been expensive (mithrax and those bright red ones with small claws). I'll definitely be ordering the mixed hermits- but want some more diversity.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a little past the sea monkey phase that mantis shrimp go through as todlers. Now he's more of the bored, angry and violent teenager phase.

The filter feeder formula is back, but now they sent us the wrong lids....arrgh. They have the liners formed into the lid, it is supposed to be an improvement, but I think opening the jar and seeing the seal is reassuring. We are carrying this batch anyway, (the product will be unaffected) but suppliers drive me nuts. :) I am going to make my own plastic, form my own jars etc... vertical integration means less headaches. :)

I can look around, but I can think of anything off hand. I have been playing catch up lately, just a busy time of year and bad seas. I did see a lionfish yesterday, but didnt have anything to collect him with.

John, if you make your own jars, you could borrow John the rockstar to be your mascot.

IMG_20110923_185446.jpg

:eek:

So

Much

Equipment

Looks like an engine! :lol:

The filter feeder formula is back, but now they sent us the wrong lids....arrgh. They have the liners formed into the lid, it is supposed to be an improvement, but I think opening the jar and seeing the seal is reassuring. We are carrying this batch anyway, (the product will be unaffected) but suppliers drive me nuts. :) I am going to make my own plastic, form my own jars etc... vertical integration means less headaches. :)

I can look around, but I can think of anything off hand. I have been playing catch up lately, just a busy time of year and bad seas. I did see a lionfish yesterday, but didnt have anything to collect him with.

Got any more gorgonians or that white teslo you teased me with on my last order? Haha. The purple gorg you sent me is doing great- I'd like to add a few more colors.

I think we have to make him the new nerite picture, I dont have our mascot anywhere on the page...seems like you should give me permission to do that... :ninja: :ninja: :D

Got any more gorgonians or that white teslo you teased me with on my last order? Haha. The purple gorg you sent me is doing great- I'd like to add a few more colors.

I can get those over the Thanksgiving break. I will have time to catch up then.

Awesome, thanks dude. Hide three jars of filter feeder formula for me so I can order when you get the gorgs in.

If you come across any oddball small and reef safe inverts, let me know. Are you back to diving on the regular again?

We have a lot of jars left, it should be around awhile.

I am back in the water, I still haven't pushed it though. Sea have been miserable, 13-15 feet last week, rough and murky the weeks before....

We have a lot of jars left, it should be around awhile.

I am back in the water, I still haven't pushed it though. Sea have been miserable, 13-15 feet last week, rough and murky the weeks before....

K- I can wait until things clear up so you can get me some gorgs and stuff. Probably have three weeks or so before the Filter Feeder Formula runs out.

Just a reminder from our emails what I'm looking for-

Kris Goldy

Aug 22

to John

I'm more than sure I'll be ordering from ya again... no worries.

I've gotta scrounge that old "what else can I get" thread...

Also, the filter feed formula I got on the second to last order... The stuff is awesome. I just dump a bunch into my reef every day, and it feeds everything in the tank. My clowns go nuts any time they see me pick up the jar.

John Maloney / Reef Cleaners

Aug 22

to me

Yeah and I am finding new things too and have more tanks. Now that I know you are into those items, I can save one of those tanks for those items and you can clear it out when you are ready. :) Tiny items are my new thing, probably get lost a bit in your tank, but I have some new species I am finding out about. Decorator crabs and shrimp that are TINY. Hermits too, some are amphipod size. I can get 15000 to feed your mantis one day lol...:) Glad you like the filter feeder formula, it reminds me I have to order more it went fast this time.

Kris Goldy Aug 22

The theme of my tank is tiny- hence why I'm the only person who doesn't complain about Mr Coral's frags. Haha. My YWG are "outgrowing" my 90, so I've got em up for sale. Once they're gone I'll be in the market for small pistol shrimp/goby combos.

If you see something out there and figure AnimalMaster would want it, you should probably get me one too.

John Maloney / Reef Cleaners

Aug 22

to me

lol...oh OK I get it, big tank with lots of small animals. I am going to do the same I think, I like the idea of a ton of movement.

Any chance you could find a teeny tiny orange tuxedo urchin (Halloween urchin)? I'm thinking in the ballpark of 1" in diameter- though smaller would be awesome.

Give me one more week on that...I am trying something new...a shipment from a Bali diver I have been talking with. We will see if they get in there, I did order that specific variety, they are trying to fill it now.

colorful inverts here we come....

Sweet. And how about these guys-

sandflea.jpg

I always assumed they were a cold water crab since we have them up here on Long Island... But I suppose it would make sense if they were along all coastlines. Reefs2Go sells them as "reef safe", so I'm guessing they come out of warmer water too.

They would probably make good mantis food. Watching the mantis stalk ceriths that are burrowing is always pretty funny. While I've never seen him actually dig one up, he becomes obsessed with watching it like a cat and a laser pointer.

Sweet. And how about these guys-

sandflea.jpg

I always assumed they were a cold water crab since we have them up here on Long Island... But I suppose it would make sense if they were along all coastlines. Reefs2Go sells them as "reef safe", so I'm guessing they come out of warmer water too.

They would probably make good mantis food. Watching the mantis stalk ceriths that are burrowing is always pretty funny. While I've never seen him actually dig one up, he becomes obsessed with watching it like a cat and a laser pointer.

We used to catch them all the time at the beach - I thought about bringing some home, but after some research determined that they wouldn't last long. There do seem to be warmer water species, but they are generally filter feeders which means they can have trouble getting enough food in a reef tank. I think they do also need a somewhat fluidized sandbed to dig properly - though that is somewhat debatable. If you do get some, keep me updated on how they do.

We used to catch them all the time at the beach - I thought about bringing some home, but after some research determined that they wouldn't last long. There do seem to be warmer water species, but they are generally filter feeders which means they can have trouble getting enough food in a reef tank. I think they do also need a somewhat fluidized sandbed to dig properly - though that is somewhat debatable. If you do get some, keep me updated on how they do.

I have an oolitic sandbed, so it'd be perfect for them. John's Filter Feeder Formula should take care of them just fine if they are indeed filter feeders.

Now that you mention it... I feel like I remember seeing them feed with porcelain crab/barnacle like mouth parts...

Archived