Pod Your Reef

mpsti05's rimless reef..... Tank coming down...

mpsti05

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So did you ever check out Midwest Coral Farm yet? I'm 30 min from you over in Huntley(crystal lake/Algonquin area) and it takes close to an hour-no easy way.... Totally worth the drive though!

Most everything i have is from there-go check it out ! :) Blake and Reed who work there are very cool and incredibly helpful...

So did you ever check out Midwest Coral Farm yet? I'm 30 min from you over in Huntley(crystal lake/Algonquin area) and it takes close to an hour-no easy way.... Totally worth the drive though!

Most everything i have is from there-go check it out ! :) Blake and Reed who work there are very cool and incredibly helpful...

Not yet trust me I plan on it! After I get the media basket in my tank i plan on taking the trip and coming home with a bunch of corals!

Not yet trust me I plan on it! After I get the media basket in my tank i plan on taking the trip and coming home with a bunch of corals!

Careful.... Weekly trips is a common addiction at MCF ;)

They will order pretty much any fish you request also.

They post pics on their FB page if you are on there. You can see all the new goods every week and they will hold anything you like :)

They rock! :)

Picked up my 1/2" acrylic lid on sunday from Steve aka glazer. Awesome guy and did one awesome job on this.

I hope to put my inTank media basket in sometime in the next 5days. Going to remove another hand full of the live rock rubble tomorrow then there should only be enough left to pull out 3days after that so i can put everything in next week. My poor orange clown seems like he continues to look for his friend, was planning on going to midwest coral farm today but the snow storm kept me in. I'll make another attempt next thurs and hopefully come home with some more frags and a black clown. Here's some crappy iphone pic's

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

Awesome tank! how much light do you think you loose with the lid on there, and the condensation? I would be interested in doing that to my nanocube, but I hear a lot of light is lost.

Awesome tank! how much light do you think you loose with the lid on there, and the condensation? I would be interested in doing that to my nanocube, but I hear a lot of light is lost.

Thanks, Not to sure yet on how much light is lost, the condensation doesn't bother me too much. With the ai fixture i can adjust how strong the led's are, Currently peak is only at 33% on the blue and royal blue led's and the corals seem to really like it. I raise the peak % every 2 weeks by 5 % and keep an eye on the corals to make sure im not bleaching them. When im off work and home for an entire day i just take the lid off. I really like it with no lid but my fish like to jump and dont want any carpet surfers.

Shot an email to midwest coral farm yesterday inquiring if they had any black clowns in stock, they do not but one of there employees breeds clowns and could have one there for me around 1". So ill be taking a trip there thurs to pick up a clown and maybe a rbta and a frag or 2!! Cant wait to check it out! Also getting ready to swap the inTank media basket in weds and then locate some cheato for the fuge.

Just got back from Midwest Coral Farm... Awesome!!!! The place is great, by far the best store in all of chicago land area imo. Got a bunch of things, Small black clown, GBTA, Pink Zoa's, Riccordia, And a frag sps. And some more snails. I plan on going there from now on! I'll get some pics up later today or early tomorrow, Im excited about all the new additions.

Also installed the inTank media basket and chemipure elite and purigen yesterday. Ran it for a few hours then did a 5gal water change. Before i left for MWCF i drop some flake in and wow all my corals looked way better than last week with the wc and inTank stuff. Gotta get some cheato so i can put the fuge in.

So woke up this morning and the new black clown and gbta were gone!!! How does that happen over night?

So i searched around in the tank.... Nothing. i have the fish saver in place expect infront of the protein skimmer, Looked in the back of the tank and the clown was swimming next to the media basket, dont know how he got there! ( i picture the seen from finding nemo and the other fish made him do it, Since they have been picking on him since i put him in) The gbta was under the protein skimmer! How the hell did he crawl over the wall and plop himself in there. Well hope he survives it was a ##### getting him off the wall in chamber one

I bet your new clown is from the same fry as mine :)

We picked up ours from Blake about a month a go.... Tiny :) and so cute!!!

Glad you like MCF :) .... Told ya they rock :D

I bet your new clown is from the same fry as mine :)

We picked up ours from Blake about a month a go.... Tiny :) and so cute!!!

Glad you like MCF :) .... Told ya they rock :D

Yep from Blake, So small and eats tons!! He seems to get along with the 6line and other clown now atleast they dont pick on him anymore... NOW host the damn bubble tip and id be happy as hell! Yea cant wait to go back to MCF... so awesome!

Looks good!

Thank you...

I'll get some pics up hopefully tomorrow...

Yep from Blake, So small and eats tons!! He seems to get along with the 6line and other clown now atleast they dont pick on him anymore... NOW host the damn bubble tip and id be happy as hell! Yea cant wait to go back to MCF... so awesome!

Yes-mine is a total PIG too! :)

I wish either one of my clowns would host... The only thing close to my bta is my yasha goby... And he already got stung once! :o

Keep an eye out on FB or sign up on MCF email list if you haven't already. They have decent sales all the time. The best one they had was 5 frags for $20 :D

Red Sea Reefer

Please let us know how the acrlyic lid works out. My BC29 is topless/rimless with a kessil. I have a design ready to go at a local acrylic fabrication company but was concearned about sag in the lid. I've heard the acrylic will absorb moisture and bow due to weight.

My plan was to use 1/4 inch thick acrylic with 1/4 inch holes drilled in the center to aid in evaporative cooling. Heat is an issue for me in the summer that's why I went topless but I want to keep my fish in the tank.

Just wondering if my design will work as it will cost $140 to produce.

Picked up my 1/2" acrylic lid on sunday from Steve aka glazer. Awesome guy and did one awesome job on this.

I hope to put my inTank media basket in sometime in the next 5days. Going to remove another hand full of the live rock rubble tomorrow then there should only be enough left to pull out 3days after that so i can put everything in next week. My poor orange clown seems like he continues to look for his friend, was planning on going to midwest coral farm today but the snow storm kept me in. I'll make another attempt next thurs and hopefully come home with some more frags and a black clown. Here's some crappy iphone pic's

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

So did a 5 gal water change yesterday ( have been noticing some brownish algae growing over the sand a bit so I was thinking diatoms... ) and just added the cheato on thurs... So I test the water tonight and 1.025 salinity. Ph 8.2- 8.4 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20ppm.. Omg how the heck did that happen?!? Over feeding? I usually sprinkle a tiny bit of flake in the am and a small mix of mysis and rods coral in the evening 5 days a week and 2 days just flake in the am... The nem looks super pissed shriveled into a ball now even though this morning he looked ok, gonna do another quick 2 gal water change now

Couple quick pics, just did another quick 2 gal water change and figured id snap a couple quick pics. and the nem seemed to open back up...

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

try finding a google image of clowns in a BTA... i posted a giant one on my glass of 2 clowns in a similar nem... went to see transformers dark of the moon when it came out (back then....)

came home and voila! 5 weeks of nothing til i tried it! lol

try finding a google image of clowns in a BTA... i posted a giant one on my glass of 2 clowns in a similar nem... went to see transformers dark of the moon when it came out (back then....)

came home and voila! 5 weeks of nothing til i tried it! lol

Lol are you serious? My buzz is wearing off from a couple bottles of wine and started laughing reading this!

SouthFlorida_Tron
Lol are you serious? My buzz is wearing off from a couple bottles of wine and started laughing reading this!

True story.

Archived