Cultivated Reef

{insert-user}+{insert-tank} = topic_title

siwelk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, that changes the game. BC 14 baskets are hard to come by... I'm sure we can work something out. Are you sure I can't interest you in one for an NC 28? I've got several of those models right here in stock. Take a look at this one with the custom GFY logo on it.

really? so will a GFY NC28 model be efficient? does it come in pink? with a yellow fiji leather? I wouldn't mind if it was also outfitted with a MP10, maybe a reefkeeper lite, and a tunze skimmer. how much for all o that?

I want to work for Stevie T whichever is cheaper.

You hot? inTank is always looking for models to pose with products. Ray can vouch.

i like this.

alot.

Thanks. I haven't made it all the way through your Deep Blue thread yet, but it's looking very promising.

i want one, either that or I want to work for Stevie T whichever is cheaper.

OP: welcome back!

:flower:

Hey, siwelk, get control of your thread! This sounds like its gonna look great with great stuff from the start.

-mark

Lol, it got a little

in here for a moment...

Called some local 'custom aquarium' businesses today.

One person acted as if they'd never heard of Starphire... :rolleyes:

One person was just a middle man, putting orders in Vegas and charging a premium to 'setup' the tank.

One person only dealt in acrylic.

I can get Starphire cut at a local interior glass fabrication company but that still leaves the assembly.

OK, so none of these bums around here will assemble a glass aquarium.

I've called a half-dozen local 'custom' aquarium outfits and NO ONE will put glass together.

They either deal exclusively in acrylic or they outsource the build to an existing manufacturer and charge you a premium to handle the order. I've got a quote in to a local company who deals with CAD Lights, just to see if they can handle my request. It's amazing sometimes how difficult it can be to get someone to take your money.

I also contacted ADG for a shipping quote on a 75-P. AFA has them in stock as well for a total shipped price of $420 to my zip. ADG's auto-calc price is like $510 shipped. I'm REALLY having a difficult time seeing the benefits of paying anywhere from $130-$200 more for an ADA (over a GLA). I'm also still afraid that a 30" long tank might be too big for a single Radion. I don't want 2-3" of 'ultra low PAR' on either side of my tank.

Thinking Cap <ON/off>...

:wizard:

S -- PurpleUp

H -- FateX9

O -- herranton

U -- HecticDialectics

T -- StevieT

O -- pattykat99

U -- The Propagator

T -- justin81

!! -- opaquelace

:blush:

I must commend Oceans Apart for their prompt customer service.

This is the reply I got within an hour:

• Jim here. I talked to CAD lights and they can make that tank. They said that the aquarium is only 37 gallons and could easily be made out of 1/4" glass so he quoted me both thicknesses. Both sides and one end would be made of starfire. The back end and the bottom would be made out of glass that you can drill. Here are the prices:

26" x 18" x 18" (1/4" material) $360 plus $65 shipping, drop shipped to you.
    26" x 18" x 18" (3/8" material) $475 plus $65 shipping, drop shipped to you.

Either one could be constructed in about 3 weeks and then shipped....so approximately 4 weeks total.
    Let me know if you need anything else or would like to order one. Thanks for your interest in our aquariums.

Anyone with custom CAD Lights experience wish to weigh in?

I was a little surprised by the 1/4" thickness though.

I thought a rimless 35ish gallon would require AT LEAST 3/8" thickness.

Hmmm...

Pricing Research (shipped)

• ADA 75-P [75x45x45] (8mm) $438.85 - AFA
    ADA 75-P [75x45x45] (8mm) $467.74 - ADG
    GLA 63-S [63x45x45] (8mm) $296.70 - GLA
    CADLights [66x45x45] (6mm) $425.00 - OA
    CADLights [66x45x45] (9mm) $540.00 - OA
    Mr. Aqua [63x45x45] (8mm) $213.00 - MD

It's down to GLA, ADA, or custom CAD Lights now.

Ditching the Mr. Aqua due to quality control issues.

Well, I decided that I don't have ample closet space to accommodate an increase in equipment.

I think an attached storage cabinet for salt, buckets, tubing, etc. would be a welcome addition.

Here's a sneak peek at the new design:

th_new_concept.png|th_new_concept_1.png|th_new_concept_2.png|th_new_concept_3.png

Both sides under the tank would slide out on drawer slides for easy maintenance.

The end cabinet is 60" tall and would house an ATO, and buckets for salt and salt mixing.

More to come...

:wizard:

Well, I decided that I don't have ample closet space to accommodate the increase in equipment.

Here's a sneek peek at the new design:

th_new_concept.png

Both sides under the tank would slide out on drawer slides for easy maintenance.

The end cabinet is 60" and would house an ATO, and buckets for salt and salt mixing.

More to come...

Where does the lady go?

A weekend trip to Petco ($1/g sale), Lowes (50% off store closing), Home Depot, and WalMart yields:

IMAG0021.jpg

1x Aqueon 20H tank - $20.00

1x Krylon Fusion Satin Black - $4.34

1x Home Depot 5g bucket w/lid - $3.76

1x GFCI single plug outlet - $7.53

1x 5' of 1" SCH40 PVC pipe - $1.19

2x 1" SCH40 adapter - $0.52

2x 1" SCH40 adapter - $1.28

1x 3/4"x1" SCH40 adapter - $0.50

1x 1"x3/4" SCH40 adapter - $0.55

1x Oatey 8oz. PVC Purple Primer - $2.69

1x Oatey 8oz. PVC Cement - $1.72

1x roll of pipe thread tape - $0.52

Total: $44.60

Current Project Running Total

Here's what I have in mind for the stand.

It's based off of the simple, yet overbuilt design illustrated here.

This stand is based on the dimensions of an ADA 75-P.

th_stand_frame_1.png|th_stand_frame_2.png|th_stand_frame_3.png|th_stand_frame_4.png

th_stand_frame_6.png|th_stand_frame_5.png

I also plan to use heavy duty furniture levelers for fine adjustments, like the ones shown below.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Heavy-Duty-L...r/dp/B001DT4Q48

http://www.amazon.com/2000-Capacity-Heavy-...ref=pd_sim_hi_8

Additionally, AFA has pretty slow communication IMO.

I emailed them on Sunday morning and as of today I had no response, so I called.

I've been waiting to be called back for a shipping rate confirmation for 5 hours now...

CAD Lights, ADGshop, and Oceans Apart (local) all got back to me within an hour of my initial inquiry.

Edit: Just heard back from George @ AFA. Their good service just took a little persistence on my part. ;)

Final Contenders:

• ADA 75-P [75x45x45] (8mm) $474.99 - AFA
    ADA 75-P [75x45x45] (8mm) $467.74 - ADG
    GLA 63-S [63x45x45] (8mm) $296.70 - GLA
    CADLights [66x45x45] (6mm) $425.00 - OA
    CADLights [66x45x45] (9mm) $540.00 - OA
    Mr. Aqua [63x45x45] (8mm) $213.00 - MD

I've decided CAD Lights custom is too much money for what I want to do.

I'm fairly sure the Radion would cover the 75-P (-4"ish for the overflow).

GLA vs ADA at this point. Round 1...Ok? Ok. GO!

saltwatercoral

Hey siwelk, I know this is aliitle off topic... But I noticed that you had a Golden dwarf eel... I was looking to get one for my tank and thought that you might hve some sugestions.

Hey siwelk, I know this is aliitle off topic... But I noticed that you had a Golden dwarf eel... I was looking to get one for my tank and thought that you might hve some sugestions.

:huh:

Sorry I can't help you out there, I don't currently have a golden dwarf moray.

If you're talking about a comment I made in the Beginner's Forum, I got that info from here and here.

Archived