Cultivated Reef

Disco is dead!

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Say no to Disco!

IMG_1163.JPG

One of the problems with LED fixtures is the farther the LEDs are from each other, the more “Disco” effect you will see. This is the effect of the different LEDs not mixing their color properly. With this 3-up CREE star you can say NO to Disco because the LEDs are so close together.

No more trying to “figure out the pattern”

No more disco

No more guessing how many of each LED you need

Its all done for you

Just spread these stars evenly across your heatsink for the perfect color blending

The best combination of CREE colors to get the correct blend needed to give you a nice 14K look on your reef. This 3-up star combines 1 XP-G Neutral White with 2 XT-E Royal Blue 455nm. Custom optics are available in 40 degrees that easily slide into the holes on the star.

Check them out at LEDGroupBuy.com

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
very cool. I was just browsing your site and I stumbled upon these and was wonder why I have never heard of them before

now I know! lol

Yup, great product. No mixing and matching. Downside is there is only 40 degree optics for them so you either have to run them bare, or with the 40 degree optics and hang them a little higher than normal but the upsides greatly out weight downsides.

surgicalsense

I have a question for you please.... right now I have 2, 36w ballasts in my NC hood and the moonlights consist of 2 blue led. I want to convert the ballasts to led and considering I have zero experience in this nor do I have a clue about modifying lighting like this in a tank. What do you suggest?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I have a question for you please.... right now I have 2, 36w ballasts in my NC hood and the moonlights consist of 2 blue led. I want to convert the ballasts to led and considering I have zero experience in this nor do I have a clue about modifying lighting like this in a tank. What do you suggest?

Well im doing a how to this week on a 14g cube, you could take into consideration the steps and scale it up to a 29g when im done.

What are you keeping in your tank? I can make a suggestion for you on the setup.

surgicalsense
Well im doing a how to this week on a 14g cube, you could take into consideration the steps and scale it up to a 29g when im done.

What are you keeping in your tank? I can make a suggestion for you on the setup.

24g NC

No modification to the filtering media, all stock.

I have been waiting for something like this. Will I be able to put the 1 white on a seperate driver to provide independant white/blue dimming (like other 3 up stars on the market)?

Well, you can tell by the way I use my LEd's,

I'm a reefing's man: no time to talk.

Par is high and tank not warm,

I've had stable prams since I was born.

And now it's all right. It's OK.

And you may look the other way.

We can try to understand

the Milad LEDGroupBuy' effect on man.

Lights goin' nowhere. Somebody help me.

Somebody help me, yeah.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
24g NC

No modification to the filtering media, all stock.

Are you keeping just SPS or a mix? Also are you wanting to use the 3UP mentioned here?

I have been waiting for something like this. Will I be able to put the 1 white on a seperate driver to provide independant white/blue dimming (like other 3 up stars on the market)?

Yes. You can put each on a different driver, or solderblob the two Royal Blue together and have them on one driver saving you from having to do extra wiring.

Well, you can tell by the way I use my LEd's,

I'm a reefing's man: no time to talk.

Par is high and tank not warm,

I've had stable prams since I was born.

And now it's all right. It's OK.

And you may look the other way.

We can try to understand

the Milad LEDGroupBuy' effect on man.

Lights goin' nowhere. Somebody help me.

Somebody help me, yeah.

Nice!

surgicalsense

Are you keeping just SPS or a mix? Also are you wanting to use the 3UP mentioned here?

I would like a to mix, my tank is about 2.5 months. Still adding ... What do you mean by 3UP?

I am not familiar with this term you speak of.. Haha!

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

I would like a to mix, my tank is about 2.5 months. Still adding ... What do you mean by 3UP?

I am not familiar with this term you speak of.. Haha!

Well this thread is about the 3UP stars that we have for sale.

The basic idea to do a retro of that hood is actually simple. you basically gut the hood of the CF that are in there and their refelectors and slide in and mount a heatsink that has your LEDs on it.

For your tank you could get away using only about 9 of these 3UP stars mentioned at the beginning of this thread connected to 1 inventroincs 40w 700ma driver to run the Royal Blues on the stars and 1Inventroincs 25w 700mA driver to run the Neutral Whites.

you wouldnt need any optics.

surgicalsense
Well this thread is about the 3UP stars that we have for sale.

The basic idea to do a retro of that hood is actually simple. you basically gut the hood of the CF that are in there and their refelectors and slide in and mount a heatsink that has your LEDs on it.

For your tank you could get away using only about 9 of these 3UP stars mentioned at the beginning of this thread connected to 1 inventroincs 40w 700ma driver to run the Royal Blues on the stars and 1Inventroincs 25w 700mA driver to run the Neutral Whites.

you wouldnt need any optics.

Thank you. My understanding of this couldn't be any more clearer on how to install this. :blink:

waiting on pins and needles... can you add cliffs notes for those of us working on our 29s. thank you!

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Thank you. My understanding of this couldn't be any more clearer on how to install this. :blink:

Sorry, Ill be doing a video and pictures for the 14G retrofit so maybe just wait until the end of the week for that.

waiting on pins and needles... can you add cliffs notes for those of us working on our 29s. thank you!

Im guessing the 29g is going to be exactly the same just larger. I dont have the hood to look at it but ill try. The write up is going to use the new bridgelux we are carrying since I have a bunch laying around. You can adjust it for the 3UP stars that is on this thread because ill be doing the same idea but with 3 stars instead of 1 3UP star.

• 3 weeks later...
Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Would these be available as 2x XPG and 1x XTE??

That would be really white light. What were you planning on using them for in that ratio?

That would be really white light. What were you planning on using them for in that ratio?

T5 combo bulbs and then some LEDs as needed for spot lighting. Do you have any pictures of these in operation to get an idea of the color?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
T5 combo bulbs and then some LEDs as needed for spot lighting. Do you have any pictures of these in operation to get an idea of the color?

I will have these on a small build and a very large build after Christmas. They are the same as any other setup using 2x royal blue and neutral white, you can control each LED separately so the color is different per setup.

• 2 months later...

Hey, got a surprise in the mail this week, the 3-up stars I pre-ordered on Black Friday finally arrived. Getting excited to finally build a little nano light with the heatsink and other stars I received a while back.

One question on using the 3-up stars - I can bridge the stars quickly by putting a touch of solder across the adjacent pads. Two of the three adjacent pad pairs have tiny micro-square pads towards the edge. Do I need to avoid soldering those?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Hey, got a surprise in the mail this week, the 3-up stars I pre-ordered on Black Friday finally arrived. Getting excited to finally build a little nano light with the heatsink and other stars I received a while back.

One question on using the 3-up stars - I can bridge the stars quickly by putting a touch of solder across the adjacent pads. Two of the three adjacent pad pairs have tiny micro-square pads towards the edge. Do I need to avoid soldering those?

You can just solder blob the pads to put them in a string

So basically solder the pad between the two royal blues and thats a string of 2.

Ya we have them coming in by the truck loads now so everyone's is going out daily as you order. Next big shipment is coming in early next week.

• 2 weeks later...
Kribensis_fish

Hello, i want to use the 3up for my nano reef. The aquarium is 6.6 gallons (39x21x28)cm.

2 of them with 40 degree optics are enough ; Hοw high must be from the top of the aquarium ?

thx.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Hello, i want to use the 3up for my nano reef. The aquarium is 6.6 gallons (39x21x28)cm.

2 of them with 40 degree optics are enough ; Hοw high must be from the top of the aquarium ?

thx.

Im not sure I would use 40 degree optics on such a shallow tank. If you did you would need the light about 18inches away from the top of the tank.

I would just run them around 4inches from the top of the tank using no optics.

Archived