Pod Your Reef

The SPS Cube w/Acans!

Spencer7

Its good to see you making progress. You have a good plan, just keep plugging away. If you havent, dont hook up your new plumbing yet. Let the glue cure for atleast 24 hrs. One more suggestion, you may want to try and divide your sump into separate sections. Give this a look, i did this on my first tank with a good amount of success. This will allow you to create a fuge if you like.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its good to see you making progress. You have a good plan, just keep plugging away. If you havent, dont hook up your new plumbing yet. Let the glue cure for atleast 24 hrs. One more suggestion, you may want to try and divide your sump into separate sections. Give this a look, i did this on my first tank with a good amount of success. This will allow you to create a fuge if you like.

I literally just turned on pump, was running for five mins, what should I do? Is it really bad (don't see any leaking) Eventually I will divide my sump a little more but I have three pumps all in different spots that make things difficult, I took some pics b4 turning pump on (I knew the display would get cloudy)...

New SPS (plz ID)

b40e8533.jpg

Finally was able to move my giant feather duster into display

195cbe52.jpg

Green Slimer is doing awesome, all polyps out and great color, this one is going to be huge...

21a74f61.jpg

My pride and joy...

2c732f39.jpg

I finally found a perfect spot in my tank for Blue Acro, doing amazing and got color back, it's amazing that the LED's penetrate and are keeping this guy so healthy while at the bottom of the tank...

edf60157.jpg

I once again thank you sooo much Fnard!

Those acans are gorgeous! Did you use the PVC glue and primer? That stuff is pretty toxic and generally like to give it time to set. You shouldnt have a prob with leakage, but I'd be concerned about contaminants. Keep a close eye on your corals, any sign of problems, large WC's would be in order.

So, I found two new heads on my Ricordea which started as one and now has five heads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tank has been kind of cloudy recently (ever since I completely re-did the return line, dissapointing but everyone looks happy except for my torch and elegance which are getting too much light and closing up (not one of my worst problems :rolleyes:.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to hopefully test water tomorrow and maybe get a fish or two, dont hold ur breath

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sea urchin is chugging away and so do the three new corals, expect a lot of pics and a test result tomorrow... :D

------------

how do u guys feel about these as my 4th light on my aquarium?

OPTION 1

or another one of the Par 38's I currently have...

OPTION 2

November 29th TEST RESULTS

KH- 8

CA- 450

NO3- 0

PO4 - 0

I got 3 Squamis! One male and two females!

They are acclimating on a drip right now

Very exciting! :D

Its good to see everything is going good. I know the glue is safe, i was just worried about the amount of time it was allowed to set. Im just overly cautious and give it 24 hours.

I would go with option 2. There have been some mixed reviews with the first one. Premature dimming and burnouts. Also, it has very tight optics (which you can change) but i guess that wouldnt be such a big problem since you have other lights over it.

Its good to see everything is going good. I know the glue is safe, i was just worried about the amount of time it was allowed to set. Im just overly cautious and give it 24 hours.

I would go with option 2. There have been some mixed reviews with the first one. Premature dimming and burnouts. Also, it has very tight optics (which you can change) but i guess that wouldnt be such a big problem since you have other lights over it.

k, :D

should I make a diamond with the fourth light (to light back section), make a square, or put the 4th inside the current triangle formation?

I love u Fnard (as a reefer of course ;) )

should I make a diamond with the fourth light (to light back section), make a square, or put the 4th inside the current triangle formation?

Depends, what do you want the 4th light for? You should be getting plenty of penetration with the 3 you have. If it is for coverage, you would want to spread them out to where it looks the best. But, with the 3, I dont really see why you need the 4th, you could easily spread them out without losing any coverage or PAR. Just my 2¢.

I love u Fnard (as a reefer of course ;) )

Whoa, easy big fella :blink:

:lol:

all the squami Anthias are happy and acclimated, now my tank doesn't look so under stocked, im going to try to move the Torch and Elegance to somewhere where there is shade however the back gets way too much flow for them leaving only one or two other spots...

The anthias seem to hide randomly, but it's cool to see all three move together as a school :)

FOR SECRET SANTA!

just a few ideas, u do not have to get this stuff, in fact don't litsen to me, im a snotty little ##### :lol:

*ATO system of some kind

*Some kind of thing to help breed fish (for my clowns)

*Fuge/Sump light

*Something to divide my sump

*A thing to attach to my 1" return line that rotates (I guess called a wave maker) like SeaSwirl but not so expensive

*Sm Black Frag rack to suction cup on to display glass

Plz do not feel pressure or like there are any requirements, I would greatly appreciate something as simple as a nice letter, plz do the same on ur thread so i don't get u a crappy gift

PICS! :haha:

1. My army of snails six strong...

185b4102.jpg

2. Nice to see those Polyps

7ecb906f.jpg

3. Pagoda Polyps!

62b1631b.jpg

4. Male Squami

d43c6512.jpg

5. Male Squami

c5aeaec8.jpg

6. Biggy!

9588b529.jpg

7. M/F Squami

8edea445.jpg

8. Female

4beecd53.jpg

9. Clam

08fe6f62.jpg

10. Male

124c3979.jpg

11. Sixline

750f003e.jpg

12. Acan

553f9f12.jpg

13. Sixline

89a4dcae.jpg

14. Biggy

16350927.jpg

Just got back from work, bought a green goniopora colony and some cyclopeeze...

December 3rd Test Results

KH-7

CA-500 :angry:

NO3-0

PO4-0

lol, my Ca is always a little high and my Kh is always a little low ):

Can't wait to see my goniopora open up, it is a good size chunk about the size of my pagoda cup 3x3"

Doing a 5 gallon water change now, maybe some pics tomorrow...

Everyone is happy and the water looks great from the 5g change yesterday...

Size comparison with new green goniopora, both closed up after moving them across the tank :P

339bfe9f.jpg

My Orange SPS is slowly dying, its getting flow and light+its polyps are open??? Any suggestions or ID what are ur experiences with this coral?

b8a115fc.jpg

Tank looks like it is really coming along. Is your SPS by any other corals? It could be being stung, especially by the goniopora, very aggressive coral with long tentacles. One word of caution, you are really stocking the tank super fast. The tank is only 3-4 months old, you have to give it time to build up bacteria and fully mature. This could lead to multiple cycles and unhealthy corals, especially the clam. Clams usually should be kept in mature tanks of 1+ years. Keep us updated and good luck.

Tank looks like it is really coming along. Is your SPS by any other corals? It could be being stung, especially by the goniopora, very aggressive coral with long tentacles. One word of caution, you are really stocking the tank super fast. The tank is only 3-4 months old, you have to give it time to build up bacteria and fully mature. This could lead to multiple cycles and unhealthy corals, especially the clam. Clams usually should be kept in mature tanks of 1+ years. Keep us updated and good luck.

The tank is 5 months old (7/1-12/1) and it cured for a month, with just LR and LS, I already went through an algae bloom (in the first month) and my water quality is somewhat perfect. Excluding the SPS i showed last post the only other time my corals died was when I spilled half a thing of iodine into the tank (killed 3 corals). I will keep an eye out on the clam, thx for that tip, but the clam was one of the first five corals put into the tank and has consistently been healthy. My December FTS will come shortly...

20x20x20 and not really, call me mr. overkill but i might get a 4th too also i had a Green Monti Plate that died most likely from not enough light (perfect conditions and flow) and if u look at the Orange Branching SPS above, that is also bleaching (nobody is stinging it). I don't think they are overkill

No offence but u average a little under 17 posts a year so ur opinion means less to me, sry but that's the way it works

If I am completely wrong or a dick, speak up, i would like to hear someone elses input on the lights...

Corals I hope to get within the month...

*Rics

*Maxminis

*Colorful Birdsnest (like blue or green with the polyps out)

*Maybe another Acan

Equiptment I hope to get...

*ATO

*Sump Light

*Maybe a 4th Display Light

*Fancy Frag Rack for display

Almost forgot about the to do list!

BEFORE 2012...

-GET AND INSTALL LIGHT FOR SUMP :rant:

-CLEAR OUT SAND FROM SUMP :ninja:

-FINISH DISPLAY LR SETUP :ninja:

-ADD EXTRA LED LAMP TO DISPLAY :rant:

-FIX PVC RETURN LINE FROM SUMP :ninja:

-GET CHAETO/MACRO FOR SUMP :ninja:

-REORGANIZE SUMP TO MAKE SPACE AND KEEP EQUIPTMENT IN ITS PLACE :ninja:

-MORE FISH!!!!! :ninja:

-POSSIBLY MORE FEATHER DUSTERS :ninja:

-GET RID OF CLEANER SHRIMP AND SAND SIFTING STAR :ninja:

I got #### done!

Looks nice Spencer. Do you get all of your livestock from Greenwich Aquaria?

lol yea, get a lot of free stuff and even more valuable, advice!

I get paid $9 an hour ($10 next year)

But also it's super flexible, my boss (Jason) says that if i wanna work just walk in and start, no requirements or set schedule, i work whenever i want. Which is whenever i can normally, unless tired or have school -_-

I wanna try buying corals online, mainly cuz Jason doesn't buy Acans b/c im the only one who buys them :P

No offense taken. I have been keeping reef tanks for about 7 years but LED is rather new to me. I have been researching it and am using one par38 on my 16x16x12 tank I'm currently setting up. I took a 2-3 year break from this forum and from reef keeping and that's why my average post count is low. I'm hoping some LED experts will comment on the lights.

This has been the state of my Elegance for about three weeks now, I am %90 sure this is due to too much light as Elegances dont aren't very light needy+it has been alive and well the whole time, just extend doesn't tentacles really, nothing is stinging it and i have been moving it to dim areas for reaction, water is perfect...

Any ideas?

4adba0ff.jpg

Awesome News...

The elegance above has been in that spot for two days now after moving it all over the tank, It was so closed up that u just saw skeleton, now after being in the shade of my cup coral it has started to open up (above pic is big improvement already) but now it looks like this...

a4163fca.jpg

So I think i finally got the reaction i wanted and hopefully now my elegance will open up like it initially did!

December 7th, 2011 Test Results

PO4 0

NO3- 0

KH- 7 <_<

CA- 500 <_<

lol, my ca is always a little high and my Kh a little low, but i can't complain :D

Archived