Innovative Marine Aquariums

The SPS Cube w/Acans!

Spencer7

This Aquarium was started on July 1st 2011 :lol:
EQUIPMENT

Aquarium- Custom Acrylic Cube (Reef Ready) 35 Gallons (20"x20"x20")
Aquarium Link
Sump- Custom from GA (30"x16"x16")
Sump Link
Lights- 3 TruPop LEDTRiC Par 38's
Lighting Link!
Additional Lighting- 1 Tri Color LEDTRiC Par 38
Lighting Link 2.0
Skimmer- SWC Xtreme 160 Cone Skimmer
Skimmer Link!
Return Pump- MAG 5
Pump Link!
Heater- 150w Jager
Heater Link!
Auto Top Off- JBJ
ATO Link!

FISH

Sixline Wrasse- Pseudocheilinus hexataenia *Removed*
Barnacle Blenny- Acanthemblemaria macrospilus
Yellow Candy Hogfish- Bodianus bimaculatus
Disappearing Wrasse- Pseudocheilinus evanidus *Removed*
2x Hectors Goby- Amblygobius hectori
Yasha Goby- Stonogobiops yasha
Purple Firefish- Nemateleotris decora

Black Ocellaris Clown Pair- Amphiprion ocellaris

INVERTS

2x Tiger Sand Conches
8x Nassarius Snails
2x Turbo Snails
6x Bumblebee Snails
2x Astrea Snails
3x Hawaiian Feather Dusters

Flame Scallop

CORALS

Assorted Acans
Green and Orange Button Zoa's
Torch Coral
Candy Cane Frags (2)
Assorted SPS Frags (15+)
Green Pagoda Cup
Bubble Tip Anemone
Maxima Clam
Green Ricordea
Orange and Green Montiopora
Green Spotted Oxypora
Orange Fungia
Oxypora

My Camera!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a pic of my tank after a month of being setup, no fish, little inverts, 1 Acan, 1 Birdsnest, 1 Green Acro, and one Red Planet (?)

P1000718.jpg

August 2011
a74466cd.jpg

November 2011
6cc3660f.jpg

December 2011
f91713dc.jpg

January 2012
acc3dc81.jpg

February 2012
e9c80300.jpg

March 2012
c7df43b1.jpg

April 2012
a0b13d0c.jpg

May 2012
9dce473d.jpg

June 2012
2fd07fcb.jpg

July 2012
1779419c.jpg

August 2012
file.jpg
March 2013

file_zps4847976b.jpg

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your tank looks great! It is hard for me for some reason to look at all of your pictures on Photobucket it keeps freezing up on me. But it looks great!

Pics please. Looking to get an idea for my 40B tank. Thanks, Joe

P.S. What are you using to get the water in the sump? I see the pump listed for the return. Also do the pumps have to be the same GPH?

Pics please. Looking to get an idea for my 40B tank. Thanks, Joe

P.S. What are you using to get the water in the sump? I see the pump listed for the return. Also do the pumps have to be the same GPH?

In the back left of my tank there is an overflow box (drilled hole with bulkhead and PVC inside) so once at the water level of the slits on the overflow the water will naturally flow down, you could probably use a MAG 2 but i suggest 3 for sure (MAG 3=350 GPH) this and one generic circulator (nothing big or fancy) provide good flow. The GPH does matter so go for something between 300-400 GPH, link for pics is at the bottom of my 1st post, there are about 200 great quality and constantly updated (+10 earlier 2day) hope to hear back from u!

-Spencer

Survived power outage, had a battery bubbler going, tank was covered in cardboard and blankets (looked very ghetto) tank was about 70 F at its lowest, all corals and fished lived! when putting in pump i re-arranged things (not on purpose) and im going to see how it looks, im loving the tank right now, if ur wondering what my routine is ill tell you.

I have 5 gallons of fresh top off water and 5 gallons of saltwater sitting in my nearby bathroom, every 10 days or so i do a water change and remix some more water to let sit for another 10 days (no RODI) I put about 1 cup of top off water in a day. I dose Calcium (Ca), Alkalinity (KH), and iodine (Lugols solution), Every 3 days i squirt Ca and KH into the tank (more KH than Ca), I try to test once a week using my workplaces test kit (i get to use the Elos test kit for free when in store) but its not exact for example i haven't tested in 2 weeks, b4 that i had perfect results 0 Nitrates, 0 Phosphates, 400 Ca, 8-10 KH. I have a RODI but dont use it b/c it is a pain in the ass, and looking at my tank now im not worried. Hope this helped, thx for reading! -Spencer

I like your tank, I don't like navigating away from the site to see it. :P seriously though, I like your tank and what you got going on.

I'm sure you'd get a better response if you at least included your FTS here.

OK, so i figured out how to post my pics directly on the thread due to the awesome hep of JoelRHale above, now u can sit back and relax b/c i got plenty of pics coming ur way...

a0981368.jpg

ac37d4f6.jpg

c9257a74.jpg

dfe67833.jpg

699015fb.jpg

8df7dff8.jpg

P1000710.jpg

bc825245.jpg

5f969859.jpg

32565ea9.jpg

481ae85e.jpg

61ef210c.jpg

aa24d66b.jpg

ec2a9175.jpg

more to come including monthly FTS pics that will be on first post...

i guess that my thread/tank is just that boring <_<

lol all depends on what ppl are looking at.. i love the custom cube.. I'm a little confused by what your objective on your sump is? :)

the sump is my favorite decision for this tank, the tank has a 3-4 inch rim on all sides so i couldn't use my equiptment if i wanted to (its all HOB) plus with the dump i have more gallons and its easier matainence. Eventually im going to put a 12" stunner strip and some macro, plus frags. Sumps are the bomb-diggity

Yup thats why im going to a 20L with a 500+ gph return pump and a skimmer with a LED kit and macro algae + possible frags..

i just seen you have the sand and no light.. so had me wondering, expanded volume is fair enough! and less of an eye sore! :)

Yup thats why im going to a 20L with a 500+ gph return pump and a skimmer with a LED kit and macro algae + possible frags..

i just seen you have the sand and no light.. so had me wondering, expanded volume is fair enough! and less of an eye sore! :)

Yea i think i might get the Ecoxotic 12" Stunner Strip for Christmas plus a frag rack, maybe eventually make some money, that would be great for a change :rolleyes:

Sumps just give the aquarist a lot of freedom and for the effort they're worth it, my pump and sump tank costed $100 along with some glue, PVC, and a bulkhead it was $120 or so total, WORTH EVERY PENNY AND MORE, my old tank was 60g but had no sump or UV and looking back i realized how much of a noob i was, makes me feel like a pro now :D

500+ GPH seems a like too much for ur tank, i would go with the MAG 4 or MAG 3 (thats what i have on my tank)

It is either a Caulastrea Echinulata or a Caulastrea furcata or a Caulastrea curvata. haha take your pick. :)

Basically it is a candy Cane coral or sometimes known as a Trumpet coral.

Killed Aiptasia, did 5 gal water change and cleaned tank, i have 5 ppm nitrates, 0 phosphates, 400 Ca, and 7.5 Alkalinity which makes me very happy...

Got back from work with 3 frags, 1 small red Monti Cap, a blue branching piece of Acro, and a piece of SPS that i forgot the name of, hopefully u will ID for me :D

Will post pics tomorrow, corals were just acclimated and the water is a cloudy from the water change...

how come a new page for this thread wont pop up, seems like this one page is super long...

Im thinking of getting 1 or 2 Ecoxotic 12" Stunner Strips from my sump so i put frags and macro down there, how many should i get? Do i ned any of that other stuff like transformer or splitter?

I am not sure how many you will need to support coral and macro but you will need a transformer and if you want more than one strip then you will need a splitter or another transformer.

This will be helpful as well as this.

Disappointing PAR numbers, just got back from work and brought with me a Elegance coral that is about 3-4 inches wide, expect pics soon like always.

I'm looking into getting another Rapid LED Par 38 bulb (7 LED's) b/c im not too happy with my Acro or Monti and i am sure its the lights,

Nothing picks on them

All corals are well feed with coral food and pellets

Both corals are light intensive

and... i tested my water today...

Ca 450

-------------

No3 0

-------------

PO4 0

-------------

KH 10

-------------

So except for Calcium (little high) everything is perfect

The light would go inside the triangle i have now which after experimenting with, would push the others

a perfect amount more to the outside so the whole tank will be very well lit and the center wiill be intense, what do y'all think :P ?

im going to kill someone... :rant:

I came into my room to see my blower aimed directly into the sand, all my corals completely covered in sand/ silt and most of the rock under an inch of sand this is the 3rd time the suction cups of gotten enough air in them to release.

#### MY LIFE!

:tears:

Archived