Cultivated Reef

Smity's 40BB

Smity

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comment I cant wait either.

Figured out the culprit for the huge amount of micro bubbles in the tank it's the skimmer. So I decided not to run it due to it not even doing anything because of a next to nothing bio load. The skimmer wasnt even filling the body of the cone above the water line of the sump.

Also decided to remove the filter sock I put on the drain.

Update: Restarted the skimmer after a few days of it being off and it looks like it is working like it should. It's still in break-in period but there is foam climbing the cone now. It may have been the filter sock that was causing the issue.

Also got a call from my LFS and my Bio-pellet reactor is in!!! Should be able to pick it up tomorrow. Im not sure if I should start running it now or wait a month or so?

Also next week I plan on picking up a pair of picasso clowns that depends on if my cycle is complete though. The three chromis have been swimming around eating healthy this whole week so im thinking I should be good.

I'll be testing for ammonia spikes later in the weekend. So far Dr. Tims "one and only" seems to be working fine. This was a dry rock start with no sand and 3 small fish for ammonia kick start

Well added the pellet reactor in to the mix for the first time yesterday. Output goes directly to the skimmer input unfortunitly the skimmer has stopped skimming again after adding the pellets?

Maybe it was to soon for the tank but nothing I can do now except watch and wait. Dont want to stop the reactor because I'll have to dump the pellets if I let them sit...

The fish are still going strong and I've been adding more food during feeding time. I figure the more excess food the better to build more bacteria.

Still have some slight microbubble issues in the display but hoping it will dissipate soon.

theevilsock

Nice looking tank, I like the scape! Good luck with the microbubbles, hopefully they go away as the equipment breaks in. I'll be watching to see how things shape up.

Did my first water change yesterday it was roughly 15 gallons. Also decided to move a piece of coral from my 10 gallon to this tank to see how it does.

new FTS

dsc00252jf.jpg

Acan

dsc00253n.jpg

Try running the skimmer and Bio Pellets in reverse. Run the skimmer 1st then the Bio Pellets. The pellets are removing most of the organic material that the skimmer would skim. Try it and see if it helps.

Thanks, yeah I took the pellets offline 2 weeks ago almost 3 days after I started running them. Since then the skimmer has been skimming fine. So I may let the tank establish abit more before I put the pellets back in action.

But I was very confused because even if I was running the pellets I thought the by-product of the pellets would make the skimmer go crazy but it did the reverse?

I emailed the creaters of the pellet (Dr. Tims) and they had never heard of a skimmer doing that before. They were also no help.

So I had to make the decision to just let it run or pull them offline. Offline sounded better at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well was able to test the water today.

PH 8.2

NO2 0

NO3 5ppm

Ammonia 0

Calcium 440

Tank is ready to be stocked with lots of corals!!!

acan is doing great in the tank

dsc00329vl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got some new bulbs in 3 UVL super actinic, 1 UVL indago sun, and 2 ATI aquablue special. Also picked up a nice frag of green monti cap.

*sorry about the pics the super actinics are playing havoc with my camera.

updated FTS

dsc00416vv.jpg

Monti

dsc00417vk.jpg

dsc00418mp.jpg

Also decided on putting some pics of my 10 gallon that is turning into not just a frag tank but a hair and bubble algae factory :)

dsc00419oz.jpg

dsc00423xr.jpg

dsc00424t.jpg

dsc00425go.jpg

awesome build smity! digging your tank then mind. lol i am drooling over your acans and zoas collection and that scape in the tank just insane. i like where this is going.

what you plan on stocking in your 40b? corals and fish?

awesome build smity! digging your tank then mind. lol i am drooling over your acans and zoas collection and that scape in the tank just insane. i like where this is going.

what you plan on stocking in your 40b? corals and fish?

Thanks bud! I dont get much action in this thread so all comments are welcome. Trust me, my scape is nothing compared to yours.

As for stocking I am done with more fish. I may get one more 6 months down the road. Right now I have 3 medium sized blue/green chromis and 2 clowns. As for coral SPS will be filling it soon.

The 10 gallon tank you see above is going to be transfered to a Red Sea Max 130 I just picked up recently for a killer price. I still need a few items for the RSM before the transfer. Need a Steve T media rack, Tunze 9002, and I plan on doing a multichip LED build into the hood of it... A thread for that tank will be up soon.

Sweet cap! I like that idea of the caps, last week I went to wwc in Orlando and saw a colonies of orange and green montipora cap fusion together and it look so sick. I want to try it someday!

Need moar pictures!

Yeah I'll get better pics tomorrow when the midday lights are on also. These super actinics are really screwing my camera up. Now I see why people complain about LED's and trying to take a photo.

That's awesome on the RSM tank. So you gonna break down the 40b?

LOL no, Im going to transfer the contents of the 10 gallon frag tank with the acans and zoas over to the RSM.

Just need a few upgrades to the RSM before it happens

What's the purpose of having no teeth on the overflow? Very cool tank

Well during the planning stages of the tank I was doing research on types of overflows that would be available. Durso, Stockman, Bean but couldnt decide on what to drill. Then I came across glasss-holes and found that alot of people on this forum used the 700gph on there 40 breeders. I also read discussions on various forums about using teeth vs no teeth and figured having no teeth out weighed having them due to the fact that having teeth on a overflow really wont stop snails and fish from jumping into it. I also read that there is a waterfall effect when you use teeth which contributes to increase sound of the overflow itself. I may have also read that the "skimming" ability on the top of the water was increased too.

Archived