Top Shelf Aquatics

Smity's 40BB

Smity

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I decided to go alittle bigger and since Im still renting cant get anything to large at the moment. The 40 Breeder looks to be the best size I cant think of without causing issues moving it down the road.

Petco had there famous $1 per gallon sale and of course had to talk the wife into it but it wasnt that hard she loves the 29 gallon and was all for it. So I went ahead and picked up the 40 brought it home where its been sitting dry for about 2 months so far. I had no stand and I love canopies for hiding light "overspray" to a minimum. I found a local guys that had a canopy for sale but it was off his 65 gallon tank but the dimensions fit just right for this tank so I scooped it up. I originally wanted LED's on this but I found a deal I could not pass up on a local forum for a 6 bulb retro kit with lightly used bulbs. So I jumped to gun and picked them up for cheap also.

img0269dw.jpg

At this point all I had to worry about was a stand. So I stated looking around online and without breaking the bank all I could find was a nice sturdy steel frame which I think are very ugly and for that price figured I could try and build my own stand. I wanted room for a sump so this was the best option and total only cost about $100 to build.

img0190lf.jpg

Finished the stand and up at my dads since he has a garage full of power tools and saws. Wasn't looking to make it very pretty since its going in our basement but definitely wanted something stong to hold some weight. Turned out pretty good for my first time really using some wood and finding a few DIY's around the web to help.

img0270gu.jpg

img0271nb.jpg

So here it sits with no water so far. Also forgot to mention that I picked up a 20long for a sump from petco but I still need to get a nice skimmer before I put baffles in...

My Glassss-holes kit actually showed up today also! Its the 700gph overflow which I had them make without teeth. It also had the returns which I'll be running two 3/4 loc-line with flares.

img0267fn.jpg

Unfortunately they did not send the lid for the overflow or the template for starting the hole. I understand the lid issue but I planed on raising it with acrylic rods so I could still achieve a gap for the water. Contacted Mike @ glassss-holes and he is shipping both out today. Cant give enough respect to there products very well made thats for sure and customer service is outstanding.

Looks like a nice start.

I've said many times that a 40b is the ultimate "medium" sized tank. Small enough to be manageable but big enough to feel big. Plus you can't beat getting both tank and sump for $60! With 6 t5s you'll be able to keep anything you want in there. Following along!

Thanks Chris, I completely agree.

Paleoreef103- I want to try mixed reef dominating in SPS this time around. On my 29 gallon I dont trust it due to only having 4 bulbs and I dont dose at all which makes my calcium level borderline.

Plus forgot to mention that the BB in the title means I am going Bare Bottom and try and get the most flow I can with this overflow and possibly an MP10 in the mix.

Hopefully going bare bottom doesnt keep people away from the thread :)

Chris are you reading my mind? Thats exactly the info I needed was trying to decide if I want starboard or just paint it white and be done with it. You have me going towards the easiest way and just painting it.

Thanks for the info on the type of paint to use.

Well got all the holes drilled and Im waiting for the paint to dry...

img0275qg.jpg

img0277gx.jpg

img0278uq.jpg

Quick question though for the return bulkheads there is only 1 rubber washer for each does the rubber washer go on the inside of the glass or on the outside?

img0279rcz.jpg

The rubber washer goes on the inside of the glass. The textured paint on the bottom is a really good idea. I would have never thought of that. Looking really good so far.

• 2 weeks later...

new stuff.

my brain for this tank

img0290ki.jpg

still need to pick up a SL1 or SL2 with a pH probe.

MP 10 from my 29 gallon break down

img0291ew.jpg

Now this next item was from my tank breakdown CPR aquafuge 2 medium. Im think of just making two sections in the sump skimmer/return and using this as the main fuge.

img0293n.jpg

I was actually in a rush to get it painted since it was getting colder out here in Michigan and just ran to the local hardware store and got some gloss white paint.

Im sure it looks good, fewskillz might be the person to ask since he has used it and suggested it in this thread.

And in all actuality once the tank gets established the bottom will eventually get covered with coraline anyways.

Thanks for checking out my thread.

Thanks guys I got some new equipment on the way so stay tuned. I hope to have this wet before christmas.

To keep you guys thirsty for more these are a few of my acans I have saved from my 29 gallon break down. I have a 10 gallon holding tank with 2 bulb T5 and a HOB filter, nothing fancy but I never had growth out of these acans like this until I put them in this little 10 gallon go figure. There popping 1-2 heads per week and I only feed mysis once a week same as before?

acanlord.jpg

colonies.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This tank is about to get filled this weekend! Decided to ditch the idea of building the sump and just bought a bashsea refugium/sump. got my huge BRS order in with 50 lbs. of dry fiji rock and some other items. More pics to come just waiting on Dr. Tims one and only to start this bad boy up!

dsc00133nq.jpg

Tank was filled last night finally!!!!

Got my Dr.Tims quick start benifical bateria in a bottle in and bought 3 blue/green chromis to start the tank off. Lets see if Dr.Tims stuff works. Im starting as you know with 50 lbs. of dry fiji so we have to wait and wonder.

One issue I did notice and hopefully will clear up is a ton of micro bubbles in the display. I dont know if its a combination of the dry rock, skimmer, or newly mixed saltwater but I hope to see it clear in a few days if not then something is wrong. I made sure that both return nozzles are submerged so...

Anyways I should have some pics up soon of the sump and display, fish if they survive :)

Feel free to leave comments and not just browse.

Archived