March 2013
dsc01163b.jpg

FTS (February 2013)
dsc01079tl.jpg
4g Finnex FTS (start up February 2013)
dsc01124eq.jpg

January FTS 1/25/2013
dsc01055ar.jpg

I prefer the black, so I'm glad changing the background was successful! Also the tips to dial down the blue on my LED fixture worked much better. The fish were hiding, and so was the arrow crab but I'll try to get a video of them later at feeding time to show you guys more...without the zzzzoommmm noise too...hopefully.

Look at the most recent post. :D Something got fudged up in this one!

Oh, well here. I copy-pastad for you:

So, the 40 gallon has been up and running for...a year and a half? We recently upgraded from a 4 bulb T5 light fixture to a Kessil A350 LED fixture. We're super happy with it and have noticed a great change in the corals' coloring. We just started adding coral a few months ago and we're minimally stocked with frags of the following:

Candy canes
Assorted zoas/palys (of the green, pink, and red variety)
Neon green frogspawn
Florida Rics
Assorted mushies
Blue clove polyps
Green star polyps
Montipora Foliosa

Other livestock includes:

2 Firefish we have named Harold and Maude
1 Arrow crab we have named Sir Gunther
and your typical CUC that consists of mostly Astrea snails from SeaLife (love those things!)

Future livestock planned:
Nekkid clownfish. I've had one before. I must have one again. Simple as that.
Maxi Mini carpet garden (thanks Lalani!)
more ricordeas
Purple star polyps
Rock anemone(s)
Noah wants a Target Mandarin Dragonet but I told him it would be a MUST for the fish to be tank bred and be able to be target fed various foods since I'm not comfortable having one without a thriving refugium.

Anyway, for some pictures. Sorry about the quality. My camera doesn't like the LED lights apparently. I do have a video that I'll post of feeding time for the fish so you can get a better idea of what it looks like without my horrible camera/skills.

dsc00905a.jpg
It looks so blue, but it's not quite that blue in real life.
dsc00918h.jpg

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will. They were in awe at the fish stores when we brought them. They're eyes got real wide lol and they started wiggling their arms.

that's mean. :(

Aww...I wasn't srs. But seriously though, I can't change the scape in the 40gallon. I'm too short to reach all the way to the bottom.

The diatoms are a-bloomin'. I forgot how ugly a new tank can get! Some of the rocks look like they've been covered in chili. :mellow:

The diatoms are a-bloomin'. I forgot how ugly a new tank can get! Some of the rocks look like they've been covered in chili. :mellow:

I think you're confusing poop with diatoms.

Where did you buy the 40 gallon tank from? The only Fluvals that I see are the Fluval Studio 600 and 900 series and the pictures they provide make them both look more rectangular. I really like the look of that fluval 40 gallon you have and it will go well with the fluval edge I already own :)

Where did you buy the 40 gallon tank from? The only Fluvals that I see are the Fluval Studio 600 and 900 series and the pictures they provide make them both look more rectangular. I really like the look of that fluval 40 gallon you have and it will go well with the fluval edge I already own :)

PM sent to you...but for anybody else you can buy them on Drs Foster Smith. It's the Fluval Osaka Aquarium 41g tank.

The diatoms are starting to go away, which means the tanks aren't so ugly anymore. The diatom bloom in the 4 gallon wasn't huge, but we also didn't use any live rock. I can't wait to get some macro algae for the tanks.

The diatoms are starting to go away, which means the tanks aren't so ugly anymore. The diatom bloom in the 4 gallon wasn't huge, but we also didn't use any live rock. I can't wait to get some macro algae for the tanks.

opaque!

:flower:

• 1 month later...

Got some fishies! Clean up crew was added about 3 weeks ago and they're doing great. In my four gallon I've had two of my hermits shed already. No fish as of yet in my 4 gallon but we added two yesterday to the 40gallon. Very simple fish, just a bar goby and a really large and friendly blue damsel. Pictures to come later.

• 1 year later...

So, the 40 gallon has been up and running for...a year and a half? We recently upgraded from a 4 bulb T5 light fixture to a Kessil A350 LED fixture. We're super happy with it and have noticed a great change in the corals' coloring. We just started adding coral a few months ago and we're minimally stocked with frags of the following:

Candy canes

Assorted zoas/palys (of the green, pink, and red variety)

Neon green frogspawn

Florida Rics

Assorted mushies

Blue clove polyps

Green star polyps

Montipora Foliosa

Other livestock includes:

2 Firefish we have named Harold and Maude

1 Arrow crab we have named Sir Gunther

and your typical CUC that consists of mostly Astrea snails from SeaLife (love those things!)

Future livestock planned:

Nekkid clownfish. I've had one before. I must have one again. Simple as that.

Maxi Mini carpet garden (thanks Lalani!)

more ricordeas

Purple star polyps

Rock anemone(s)

Noah wants a Target Mandarin Dragonet but I told him it would be a MUST for the fish to be tank bred and be able to be target fed various foods since I'm not comfortable having one without a thriving refugium.

Anyway, for some pictures. Sorry about the quality. My camera doesn't like the LED lights apparently. I do have a video that I'll post of feeding time for the fish so you can get a better idea of what it looks like without my horrible camera/skills.

dsc00905a.jpg

It looks so blue, but it's not quite that blue in real life.

dsc00918h.jpg

Hahaha I know. I watched the video play back and I thought the same thing. It's ridiculously loud. It shows the tank much better than the photographs though. I'll have to ask my mom if I can borrow her Nikon D70 soon so I can get some better shots.

I love having a pair of firefish. They stick together and have two burrows they like to hide in. One underneath the ricordeas and one on the left side of the tank. They're a bit spooked by the new arrow crab though. :happy:

Also, thinking of changing the background to black. It's just on of those stick ons that you put on with mineral oil and I'm finding it way too blue with the new light. Would it be possible to change it since it's full?

That sounds awesome, I tried to buy a pair when I got my helfrichi but it just isn't a possibility here :(. The arrow crab is freaky looking!.

Black would definitely be an improvement, I always thought blue backgrounds make the tank look washed out or something. Are you saying the film is on the inside of the tank? if not then I can't see why it would be an issue.

It's on the outside. Just worried about using oil to stick it, but I could always cut it just a little bit shorter than the top so I don't have to worry about it getting inside the tank.

Archived