Coral Vue Hydros

holly hell this is AMAZING FISH

thecloser

so any one I get will have the same color as that? the yellow top etc?

Are they easy/good fish to have? I think I am going ot buy him tomorrow.

altolamprologus
so any one I get will have the same color as that? the yellow top etc?

Are they easy/good fish to have? I think I am going ot buy him tomorrow.

I think it varies a bit because we have 2 at my work and they aren't quite that colorful. Then again, they are at a fish store with no females to display to so that may be why. If the website doesn't say it's WYSIWYG, you probably won't get one as pretty.

altolamprologus
when do they flash that crazy look, the top fin yellow part.

how are they? Easy to take care of?

I've never actually had one, so I'm hoping someone who has will chime in. I can tell you the stuff I've read, but idk if you'd prefer to just do the research yourself. They shouldn't be too difficult though. 40 gallons+ and some good food should kepp him happy. I know they flash when there's a female, so if you have room for a pair that would definitely pay off. But I'm pretty sure they'll flash if they're happy and well taken care of.

29G for that particular wrasse? Do you see how fast it swims around? That tank it is in on the video looks too small if anything ...

Agree that it is an awesome looking fish though.

heres a question, I researched that the Wrasse and Angelfish need established tanks...so does taht mean people don't quarantine these fish? especially if its only 2 month old QT?

I am going to QT any fish I buy, and my QT is about 2 months old so does that mean I can't QT fish that need established tanks or a 2-4 week QT process won't harm them.

crazyfishgirl

I have a filamented flasher and he's a great fish to have. Eats really well ( pellets, mysis) is active, and sometimes flashes my other fish which is cool to see. He's a pretty bold fish fish except when I try to take his picture, then he gets nervous and hides in the rocks. Mine looks similiar to the one in the picture only not quite as red, he's got more of an orange body.

29G for that particular wrasse? Do you see how fast it swims around? That tank it is in on the video looks too small if anything ...

Agree that it is an awesome looking fish though.

40 is probably to small, need something 3+ feet long.

I am actually starting to think it is a McCoskers flasher wrasse instead...

Don't think so.

Flasher wrasses are notorious jumpers, you have to cover that tank. I think it would be fine to keep it any qt tank as long as you are changing water frequently. The dt should be established, they are more sensistive then others. I suggest a slower flasher like a McCoskers for a 29.

^ This. A guy here in town is internationally known for his wrasse collection; all of the tanks he has are at least 24" deep because many of them like to swim straight up when courting. This is where we get the jumping from as most tanks are 18" or less from top to bottom.

Dude knows his stuff on wrasses. Link to his Earlei trio:

Video

I have a filamented flasher and he's a great fish to have. Eats really well ( pellets, mysis) is active, and sometimes flashes my other fish which is cool to see. He's a pretty bold fish fish except when I try to take his picture, then he gets nervous and hides in the rocks. Mine looks similiar to the one in the picture only not quite as red, he's got more of an orange body.

does yours have that yellow top fin like the one in the video?

any pics would be great too :)

I am trying to figure out what kind of a top to get for my tank, something cheap and easy custom made.

see in that video, he isn't an active swimmer at all compared to the other guys video.

I know sixline wrasse are crazy swimmers but are okay in 20 gallon tanks. I think it depends more so on the fish itself no?

TheUnfocusedOne
heres a question, I researched that the Wrasse and Angelfish need established tanks...so does taht mean people don't quarantine these fish? especially if its only 2 month old QT?

? No you still qt them. A QT tank isn't subjected to the same rules. Usually QT tanks have no LR and good fitration. Couple that with way staying on top of water changes.

QTing anything you put in your tank is a good idea.

Not QTing is like banging whores raw dog. Eventually, you'll catch something.

I had a sixline in my 20H for a couple of years until the living room looked better than the aquarium...

I'll never own ANY type of wrasse in my 40b until I build a top for it.

Not QTing is like banging whores raw dog. Eventually, you'll catch something.

That is my new sig.

Look into the Spot Line flasher wrasse also. I have pics of mine in my thread.

nice tank bro. Love the fish.

I looked into the Mandarin you have but i researched its a hard fish to take care of...is that true?

how is the Wrasse doing? I can't find a single one taht has the yellow fins like the one in the video i posted.

Also love your cherub, hows he doing? its a toss up for me btw that and a Coral beauty.

The picture on Vivid's website is mislabeled, the picture is of a Line-Spot Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus lineopunctatus).

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2890

Unfortunately I believe the one on youtube is also mislabeled. Here is a real Filamented Flasher:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1400

The yellow coloratin is very unique, my guess would be it is a hybrid between two flashers (they commonly interbreed, so many of them look slightly different). It could also be a Carpenter's flasher wrasse possibly, but I have never seen that amount of yellow, along with the blue streaks.

nice tank bro. Love the fish.

I looked into the Mandarin you have but i researched its a hard fish to take care of...is that true?

how is the Wrasse doing? I can't find a single one taht has the yellow fins like the one in the video i posted.

Also love your cherub, hows he doing? its a toss up for me btw that and a Coral beauty.

Thanks! Mandarins are hard to care for because they require a live diet. You have to have a very well established tank with a huge copepod polulation.

The wrasse is doing awesome! He eats everything and anything. He is always out swimming around and always follows me in front of the glass.

My Cherub is 100% reef safe. He doesn't pick at any coral period. You should look in a Flameback pygmy Angel instead of the coral beauty.

The picture on Vivid's website is mislabeled, the picture is of a Line-Spot Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus lineopunctatus).

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2890

Unfortunately I believe the one on youtube is also mislabeled. Here is a real Filamented Flasher:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1400

The yellow coloratin is very unique, my guess would be it is a hybrid between two flashers (they commonly interbreed, so many of them look slightly different). It could also be a Carpenter's flasher wrasse possibly, but I have never seen that amount of yellow, along with the blue streaks.

I think they have this issue a bit as well, the "radioactive" polyp they have is NOT what they sell when you go to buy it. or at least the one i got looks NOTHING like that.

What would resemble the one in the video the most? A Carpenter, a Filamented or a McCosker?

Thanks! Mandarins are hard to care for because they require a live diet. You have to have a very well established tank with a huge copepod polulation.

The wrasse is doing awesome! He eats everything and anything. He is always out swimming around and always follows me in front of the glass.

My Cherub is 100% reef safe. He doesn't pick at any coral period. You should look in a Flameback pygmy Angel instead of the coral beauty.

Oh okay.

Yeah I love the 6lines personality but not a fan of the color and these seem to possess the same personalities but wiht vivid colors.

Why so? The Flameback is a bit out of my reach, I'd get the FlameAngel instead if I were to spend that much already. How is the BiColor?

Bi color are generally reef safe. But watch the Flame angel. Some people get lucky with them but a lot are polyp pickers and some have a very weird sustainability in tanks.

Archived