Top Shelf Aquatics

Yoshii's 55g Makeover » Second Time's the Charm!

yoshii

Lol I've shocked myself like 2 or 3 times

Looks like you're going to have to wait for pics, my dad left the ladder I'm going to use at storage

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys! Pics are coming soon! The studs in the ceiling all disappeared so we had to come up with a slightly different way to hang the light-you'll see in a sec!

Uploading to photobucket right now, sorry they were super quick, in-a-rush pics, plus my camera got reset or something so there's flash in some of the pics

DSC06913.jpg

Had to use these "Mollie" somethings (my dad told me to use them since we couldn't drill into wood)

DSC06912.jpg

Which meant I had to use this HUGE drill bit, it was like raining ceiling chalky stuff

DSC06918.jpg

My dad wanted me to use these so I could easily detach the ropes, but I think they're ugly so I'm taking them off tomorrow. Also, the rope/knots we're using right now are most likely temporary

DSC06915.jpg

Over the tank, ignore the un-scaped rock

Thanks guys :)

Oh! Another thing! See the skimmer sitting in an empty 20H on the floor to the right of the 55? My sump is going over there but I've decided to replace the 20H with a 29 so I have a longer sump, idk how I would even fit a bubble trap in there right now if all had in there was the skimmer (and its pump), heater and return

Be careful with the drywall anchors (molly bolts), The can tear out of the sheet rock fairly easily. When you were looking for the joists in the ceiling, did you run the stud finder both ways (east to west and north to south). I don't know how heavy that light is, but I would be afraid that I would get home one day and it would be in the tank.

It does look really nice though.

Kazooie - a 20 x-high is two 10aga's stacked

Be careful with the drywall anchors (molly bolts), The can tear out of the sheet rock fairly easily. When you were looking for the joists in the ceiling, did you run the stud finder both ways (east to west and north to south). I don't know how heavy that light is, but I would be afraid that I would get home one day and it would be in the tank.

It does look really nice though.

Kazooie - a 20 x-high is two 10aga's stacked

I ran that thing everywhere, it's like all the joists ran away, and the stud finder gave me a bunch of false readings. at first I used a small drill bit and drilled a little hole where I wanted the hooks to be, none of the places had wood(even though the stud finder said otherwise), so I had to use the molly bolts. I know they are not as strong but I was very surprised the light fixture is extremely light, only like 16 I think. I also pulled all the bolts and they seemed good.

Also, I decided to anchor the fixture at 4 points instead of 2, besides stability, I think it will put less weight for each bolt

Ahh. :)

By the way, tank/stand/sump looks sexy :) A minimalistic scape would look awesome in that tank :)

I'm glad you guys aren't bothered by the mismatching colors :P

I have a scape planned, it's not really minimalist though, you'll see soon!

I ran that thing everywhere, it's like all the joists ran away, and the stud finder gave me a bunch of false readings.

I'm glad you guys aren't bothered by the mismatching colors :P

I always had that problem with studfinders too. At my last apartment, I literally drilled a hole in the wall every 1\2 inch for about 14 inches before I found a stud. My room mate was not too pleased. The solution is to tell your dad that his tool is cheap and that he should go buy a real studfinder, the ones you get for <$20 never work.

I dont think that the wood grain tank / white stand look bad. I noticed it in the pics but didn't think anything of it.

I always had that problem with studfinders too. At my last apartment, I literally drilled a hole in the wall every 1\2 inch for about 14 inches before I found a stud. My room mate was not too pleased. The solution is to tell your dad that his tool is cheap and that he should go buy a real studfinder, the ones you get for <$20 never work.

I dont think that the wood grain tank / white stand look bad. I noticed it in the pics but didn't think anything of it.

Lol yeah I didn't want to drill holes everywhere

He has like two others (good ones) but we still don't have everything unpacked yet from the move so idk where they are. It works great on walls, but ceilings are harder, and people tend to leave random pieces of wood and other trash in the attic/above the ceiling

Goodie :)

I didn't notice. :) Any plans to paint the trim white with white krylon?

No, I wouldn't want it white anyway, the background is black and the DIY screen top I'm going to make will probably have a dark color trim

Score.

I shot my cousins wedding with a Sony a100 right after they came out. Sony really started making some good cameras after they acquired konica minolta. You should be able to take some nice pics with that.

I might do that today, since I have no life and I'm not trick-or-treating

I just need to take out some rock

Onice. I'm not trick-or-treating as well. I'm gonna watch the two-hour special Finding Bigfoot, but it's a rerun. They're in northwest Californi-i-a. xD

Teehee, I'm ruining your thread with non-reef-related posts! >:D

Score.

I shot my cousins wedding with a Sony a100 right after they came out. Sony really started making some good cameras after they acquired konica minolta. You should be able to take some nice pics with that.

Omgsh I'm so excited I love it already, it has 13.2 more megapixels than the camcorder/"camera" I used before :D

I haven't read the manual yet or messed much with Manual Mode, but LOOK HERE'S SOME FRUIT

DSC00007.jpg

Barely any noise in the dark corners, the colors are awesome without editing, etc omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Now I just need stuff in this tank to take pics of! I saw some ball nems out last night, but they're not out during the day

Onice. I'm not trick-or-treating as well. I'm gonna watch the two-hour special Finding Bigfoot, but it's a rerun. They're in northwest Californi-i-a. xD

Teehee, I'm ruining your thread with non-reef-related posts! >:D

I saw that that was on yesterday, looks like the most boring show ever

Try not to much more tho :)

Archived