Top Shelf Aquatics

20g long lagoon-New flasher wrasse

Captain Hook

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Captain Hook
love this tank man. job well done. :D

Thanks man its coming together pretty well, now I need the Vega to be released...bulbs are getting old as S*** and im not buying replacements, ill just wait for the vega......

Captain Hook

Lots of changes happening in my tank at the moment. Currently added aqua c remora nano skimmer, so Im getting ready to start carbon dosing once I read more about it. Took out all but 1 maxi mini and cut the rest in half so I can trade them for other corals/nems. Took out a couple rocks with alot of red bubble algae and rescaped several times in the last 3 weeks due to all the changes and trying to get minis away from the back of the rocks. I also sold my clowns in hopes to get a flasher wrasse. Also sold some other corals and frags, and surprisingly some tigger pods that Ive been culturing.

Captain Hook
What exactly is an algae scrubber?

Basically you use the 6500K light spectrum which maximizes green algae growth. You have to run it in a bucket with a pump, or in a sump like mine. Increased flow and light will alloy green algae to thrive. Green turf algae is as effective as removing organics from the water as a protein skimmer if you have enough of it and maintain it properly. The more light the better, as thick turf algae will absorb nitrates and phosphates no problem. I have mine flowing from the plumbing coming from my overflowbox, down completely vertical across a piece of knitting canvas. The algae grows so thick I can pull off golfball size clumps every couple days and it just grows back. Thats the sign of a health algae scrubber. For more info, just google it and theres lots of plans out there, thats where I got the idea for mine.

Amazing build! Looking at starting a 20L myself (was originally looking at a 10 gallon but everywhere seems to say start as big as you can so now I'm looking at the 20). I think I'm going to stick to T5's for now but I'm excited to see how everything looks under those leds!

Also loving the mandarin pair, I dont trust myself to have one so I'll just have to follow your 2 :P

Captain Hook

New SOL in place. Made my own DIY handing kit consisting of 10 feet of black linked chain, 2 eyebolt screw which fit in the slots already on the top of the SOL, and 2 ceiling hooks, all for 12$....I think mine looks better than theirs anyways.

New SOL in place. Made my own DIY handing kit consisting of 10 feet of black linked chain, 2 eyebolt screw which fit in the slots already on the top of the SOL, and 2 ceiling hooks, all for 12$....I think mine looks better than theirs anyways.

sweet! whats your settings at currently?

Captain Hook

Full blast lol....gotta get the controller still so its raised pretty high above the water. So Id assume its 1/3 for each spectrum.

Going to have lots of time to enjoy my tank this week im on stress leave cause my boss tried to fight me last night at work. lol

Full blast lol....gotta get the controller still so its raised pretty high above the water. So Id assume its 1/3 for each spectrum.

Going to have lots of time to enjoy my tank this week im on stress leave cause my boss tried to fight me last night at work. lol

oh right! no controller haha :lol:

wth lol thats some serious stuff...

enjoy the lights dude! its a sick light :happy:

acropora1981

Two things;

1. Careful with the m. capricornis; they are easily damaged by the SOL Blue. I have put holes in mine on 5 separate occasions by increasing the light intensity too fast.

2. Got pics of the algal turf scrubber?

edit: found algal turf scubber pic on previous page.

Captain Hook

Thanks for the tip on the monti cap, I'll keep an eye on it closely.

Unfortunately for the algae scrubber, the protein skimmer that I installed last month (Aqua c Remora nano) was removing all the nutrients and the algae started turning brown and falling off. So I removed that, and may add it back in the future and put the protein skimmer on a timer.

The algae scrubber before the protein skimmer was working amazing and full of green lush algae. I really do miss it lol

Captain Hook

DIY hanging of AI SOL Includes 2 eye bolts, light ceiling hangers, and 5 ft of chain all for 12$

Captain Hook

So I chopped my rainbow maxi mini in 4, so I now have 13 maxi mini nems in my mini propagation project. Im going to set up a 15g tank with my old light fixture as a propagation tank, since they are in my sump for the time being under 6500k lights.

Archived