Cultivated Reef

20g long lagoon-New flasher wrasse

Captain Hook

So I somewhat acidentally/purposely knocked my old scape over and decided to build a new one....actually started as an accident than the putty holding my rocks together came apart so I spend 4 hours christmas night organizing than reorganizing several dozen times, playing with different scape ideas and finally came up with this by chance and it seems to work for me. Still crappy BB pics right now, going to get gf's camera tonite!

All my corals are stressed out to say the least, however nothing died and I expect a tiny cycle, but nothing my filtration cant handle.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is gonna look great when everything opens up. You will have more room for placement too. That yellow frogspawn is awesome, my lfs has them but their sweepers are too long for my tank.

It is gonna look great when everything opens up. You will have more room for placement too. That yellow frogspawn is awesome, my lfs has them but their sweepers are too long for my tank.

Yea it opens up alot more than that. when I got it, it was the size of a penny, now its as big as a golf ball, never had any sweeper tentacles come out yet in 9 months so I think im safe with this one. My LPS are hating life right now. I did a water change yesterday going to do one again tomorrow. Going to pick up an attachment so I can use my RODI unit.

The RODI unit from (Buckeye Field Supply 100gpd premium 4stg series only 177$) is awesome. 0 tds from start-up, already made more than 15gallons and still ZERO. Very impressed

Captain Hook

Acropora Tenuis and Acropora Tortuosa...These were browned out when I got them (very cheap) and there slowly gaining color back, thanks to proper care and lighting.

Captain Hook

....so I reworked my rockscape...again....and did a water change. Almost boiled my tank doing a water change when the water level dropped and my heater cracked and it wasnt until changing some filter floss I could feel a current in the water. WHEW! Thankfully I have a backup heater.

Captain Hook

thanks, thats the 3rd time I rearanged it. My lights are a little strong to have a scape that is 6" away so I tried to flatten/widen it out and use more surface area of the tank. Just got 100lbs of premium live rock for 180$, had tons of coralline and live mysid shrimp on it. Saw a couple aiptasia so its all being quarantined and my friend and I are going to sort through and I'll be adding more to it in the next week, although he is getting the majority of it. Also got a full bottle of zeoback for free along with a bunch of kent chemicals and some 2part buffers. Aparently the guy selling his stuff lost his job and I scooped over 1200$ worth of stuff for only 300$

Captain Hook

Both of the mandarins are eating prepared foods thank god, because the kid I got them from said he didnt ever feed them and they were just living off live copods. So I mixed some mysis with chromaplex, zoo plex, zeobak, reef roids, spirulina, and spot fed the mandarins and they went nuts eating it, so Im pretty happy that there going to enjoy living in this tank as much as Im going to enjoy watching them

YAY! Looks great!

Your male is so bright! I have a male as well but he is a fatty.

Glad to hear they are eating whatever you put in their faces!

Captain Hook
YAY! Looks great!

Your male is so bright! I have a male as well but he is a fatty.

Glad to hear they are eating whatever you put in their faces!

They really give the tank a nice exotic touch. I was confident I could train them to eat mysis and dead pods but aparently they are already willing to even though they were never trained to eat prepared foods. WOOOO!

Both of the mandarins are eating prepared foods thank god, because the kid I got them from said he didnt ever feed them and they were just living off live copods. So I mixed some mysis with chromaplex, zoo plex, zeobak, reef roids, spirulina, and spot fed the mandarins and they went nuts eating it, so Im pretty happy that there going to enjoy living in this tank as much as Im going to enjoy watching them

That's awesome you got them eating, I was thinking they looked a little thin. They are 24/7 pod hunters so they can deplete a population pretty quickly. Great addition to your tank!

yea there constantly eating. I just added another 15+ lbs of rock to my sump and I already have a ton of chaeto in there spawing lots of amphipods and coepods. Im feeding them once a day right now with mysis soaked in pods, rotifyers, phyto, zooplankton, and spirulina. There colours are so vivid. Im going to try a culture of pods so I can supplement the tank with extra for their diet demands.

One week and the mandarins have put on sum weight, or so it seems. Ive seen them eating prepared foods earlier in the week, but now its hard to tell if there eating prepared food fallen on the bottom or live pods scurrying around.

• 1 month later...

The mandarins are doing great, Ive had a tigger pod culture going for a month now and have multiplied the count by thousands. Everyday I scoop out 50-100ish for the mandarins, plus they have been eating mysis shrimp. Waiting on the Vega to come out to upgrade my lighting....grrrrrr

Its great actually...the bulbs are probably 1+ years old, I cant find replacements for them....any idea where? Once the Vega comes out Im getting it regardless and dont really wanna spend money on replacements.

Its great actually...the bulbs are probably 1+ years old, I cant find replacements for them....any idea where? Once the Vega comes out Im getting it regardless and dont really wanna spend money on replacements.

Is yours the 24" model? I got mine from Micro-Reefs. Mike might be able to get you the bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived