ReefCleaners.org

Hi.

I have a Ai Nano blue over my 21 gallon Aqua Medic Blenny.

Does any of you have recommendations on settings?

What is the max % I can run on.

The corals are mostly LPS - Zoa, Euphylis, Acan, Scolymia, Blastomussa.

Would like to ad photo - but do not know how.

Allan

What are your tank dimensions?

Would like to join the party. 2 AI Vegas over an Innovative Marine Nuvo SR-80 and 1 Vega over my Biocbue 29G. Using a Director to control everything. AI products are great and the service is exceptional. Super shout out to Jason from AI Support. Super responsive and very helpful.

Hi.

I have a Ai Nano blue over my 21 gallon Aqua Medic Blenny.

Does any of you have recommendations on settings?

What is the max % I can run on.

The corals are mostly LPS - Zoa, Euphylis, Acan, Scolymia, Blastomussa.

Would like to ad photo - but do not know how.

Allan

You can add a photo by clicking on "More Reply Options". When you do that you should see an option to attach files.

• Like 2

Would like to join the party. 2 AI Vegas over an Innovative Marine Nuvo SR-80 and 1 Vega over my Biocbue 29G. Using a Director to control everything. AI products are great and the service is exceptional. Super shout out to Jason from AI Support. Super responsive and very helpful.

You can add a photo by clicking on "More Reply Options". When you do that you should see an option to attach files.

SR-80?! my dream tank.

• Like 1
SR-80?! my dream tank.

It really is a great tank. So far not one bad thing to say about it. Just wish I could add more fish and coral a lot quicker!

• Like 1

40 cm wide x 40 cm high x 50cm deep.

I have a Sol Blue over my custom 50x50x45deep cube and run it close to 80% at about 8-9inches from the water. I don't have any issues growing zoas and euphylia on the sand or mid way up the tank, I grow SPS up the top. I don't know how powerful a Nano is but from a guess you may have trouble getting decent coverage while maintaining decent PAR.

Maybe someone can help me. I have the AI Nano centered over a shallow mixed reef 12g and the dimensions of the tank are 18x18x9. The light is mounted 9" above water level. For the life of me I cant dial the settings in for my tank to thrive. If it set too low some corals stretch, not too much higher and others bleach. I really cant find anyone online successfully running this light either, they all switch to something else. Maybe someone who works for AI can chime in this. I'm really not pleased with the light.

Maybe someone can help me. I have the AI Nano centered over a shallow mixed reef 12g and the dimensions of the tank are 18x18x9. The light is mounted 9" above water level. For the life of me I cant dial the settings in for my tank to thrive. If it set too low some corals stretch, not too much higher and others bleach. I really cant find anyone online successfully running this light either, they all switch to something else. Maybe someone who works for AI can chime in this. I'm really not pleased with the light.

What settings have you tried? The key is to slowely ramp up up so everything can acclimate. I would first adjust the light so you have none or minimal light spill from the tank, this could mean raising or lowering the light a little. After that you can start with a baseline of probably 30% white 40-45% blue and slowely creep up from there.

What settings have you tried? The key is to slowely ramp up up so everything can acclimate. I would first adjust the light so you have none or minimal light spill from the tank, this could mean raising or lowering the light a little. After that you can start with a baseline of probably 30% white 40-45% blue and slowely creep up from there.

I have tried as low as 15% all around to as high as 80%-90% for periods of time. I cant really lower the light anymore as I don't get a decent spread to cover the whole tank then. Just out of curiosity why down 30%, it seems arbitrary.

I am beginning to suspect that the light just doesn't cover the spectrum needed for decent color and growth. Can anyone reference a tank that has had success with this light for a long period of time?

I have tried as low as 15% all around to as high as 80%-90% for periods of time. I cant really lower the light anymore as I don't get a decent spread to cover the whole tank then. Just out of curiosity why down 30%, it seems arbitrary.

I am beginning to suspect that the light just doesn't cover the spectrum needed for decent color and growth. Can anyone reference a tank that has had success with this light for a long period of time?

The issue with the Nano is that a lot of people overestimate its power and penetration, on a tank as shallow as yours penetration shouldn't be an issue. The reason I say start of at 30% white and 40-45% blue is from what you will read most users recommend starting LEDs off at a low setting, typically 1/3 of the fixture total output is recommended. When I transitioned from 2x PAR38 bulbs to my Sol it took a long time for my corals to adjust. I started off at 35% across the 3 colour channels and slowly crept my way up over the passing months, I have the fixture running at around 85% now. I was lucky though as all my LFS use high powered T5 fixtures or LEDs already so newly purchased corals adjusted much quicker than my older corals. You will find that yes some corals will stretch for light and some will shy away from it and bleach, a lot of corals will look worse before they look better. Out of curiosity which corals are stretching for light and which started to bleach out?

I wouldn't say the Nano doesn't cover the spectrum required for growth and colour. The Nano and Sol are very similar is design and spectrum and pretty much everyone I have seen using the Sol have had great results, take a look at the last few pages of my thread so you can see what these lights are capable of. The only downfall that can be said of the Nano is that it is very underpowered, 18x18 is at the absolute maximum tank dimensions for those fixtures but people do has success on larger tanks.

EDIT:

Referencing Lattes Rimless Reef, running an AI Nano and growing SPS, lighting schedule in the first post. Established August 2012,last updated April 2013.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/318853-lattes-rimless-reef/

I think I had a post a while back of one of my tanks with a Sol on it, but everything has changed and been redone. I now have a Sol over the display and one over the grow out section of the sump.

2457BFF7-A6E8-4066-AC11-465E864CF2F6.jpg

E5FADB40-4D09-4280-8ADC-90D85D8B7EF6_1.j

• Like 1

The issue with the Nano is that a lot of people overestimate its power and penetration, on a tank as shallow as yours penetration shouldn't be an issue. The reason I say start of at 30% white and 40-45% blue is from what you will read most users recommend starting LEDs off at a low setting, typically 1/3 of the fixture total output is recommended. When I transitioned from 2x PAR38 bulbs to my Sol it took a long time for my corals to adjust. I started off at 35% across the 3 colour channels and slowly crept my way up over the passing months, I have the fixture running at around 85% now. I was lucky though as all my LFS use high powered T5 fixtures or LEDs already so newly purchased corals adjusted much quicker than my older corals. You will find that yes some corals will stretch for light and some will shy away from it and bleach, a lot of corals will look worse before they look better. Out of curiosity which corals are stretching for light and which started to bleach out?

I wouldn't say the Nano doesn't cover the spectrum required for growth and colour. The Nano and Sol are very similar is design and spectrum and pretty much everyone I have seen using the Sol have had great results, take a look at the last few pages of my thread so you can see what these lights are capable of. The only downfall that can be said of the Nano is that it is very underpowered, 18x18 is at the absolute maximum tank dimensions for those fixtures.

Ok thanks for your help I will start there. White at 30% and Blues at 40% gives me around 200 par at water level and 50 par at sand bed.

Ok thanks for your help I will start there. White at 30% and Blues at 40% gives me around 200 par at water level and 50 par at sand bed.

Refer back to my last post as well, posted a link for reference.

Would the vega color be good over a IM nuvo 38g?

Also frt any pics of how you did your bracket?

A vega will be the best choice in my opinion . The biocube its 29 gallons and i have the power dial in 55%. So in a 38 if you have sps you can power up a lil more ( pictures looks dimmed but they are not. Trust me.

I will upload som pics from my bracket build soon

A vega will be the best choice in my opinion . The biocube its 29 gallons and i have the power dial in 55%. So in a 38 if you have sps you can power up a lil more ( pictures looks dimmed but they are not. Trust me.

I will upload som pics from my bracket build soon

+1 on the Vega. I have one over my BioCube29G. I use the director to control it. Love it. Mine is mounted on top of the hood (i cut out an opening the exact size of the Vega. I really need to get it higher over the water so soon I'll be converting it to a rimless and I'll be using the AI Nano mount.

Hydra52 + AI EXT Rail system over 34g Solana (Overkill right now, but planning on upgrading to the SR-80 down the road) absolutely love the light and the AI Director. Sorry for the shot, trying to figure out how to take pictures with my phone since the white balance adjustments are so limited.

kcMYk78l.jpg

• Like 2
Hydra52 + AI EXT Rail system over 34g Solana (Overkill right now, but planning on upgrading to the SR-80 down the road) absolutely love the light and the AI Director. Sorry for the shot, trying to figure out how to take pictures with my phone since the white balance adjustments are so limited.

kcMYk78l.jpg

You'll love the SR-80. I got mine back in December. It's a really great tank. I'm running two Vegas over it.

• 3 months later...

Just curious as to what people are running their Vega's at?

I'm running mine around 30-40% blue and white about 3 inches off the water in a standard 20gallon and growing LPS and SPS

Should it be bumped up a little more for my SPS?

gahumphrey

I have two Vegas over a 80G Shallow (Nuvo SR-80). I use the AI Director to control them. I have replaced a couple of the stock pucks to give me some UV and Violet. Here's what I run them at (12" off water surface):

VegaramponNuvoSR-80_zpse94aa53e.png

Here's what I run my BioCube Vega at (6" off water surface)

VegaBioCube29Gramp_zps4895f749.png

Though the light in the BioCube looks brighter I have the intensities set higher on the SR-80 so you can see distance from water surface greatly affect diffraction and ultimately brightness. I have been inching the SR-80 Vega values up higher a bit each day. I originally had them way too high (60% on blues and 40% on white). That fried most my softies and my Euphyllia. The acans and SPS loved the extra light so it's a delicate balance.

• Like 1

Ai vega DIY aluminum bracketattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Do you have any other links/photos for the DIY mount? Where did you buy everything? Do you have a shopping/parts list? I'm going to need something similar and some guidance would be awesome. If anyone else out there has done something similar, let me know. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at theses lights and they seem light a great LED light for the money. What like some advise for which light would be better suited for my setup. I have a 15 gal Nano 24x12x10 with the dsb. Would like to keep LPS And SPS corals and if possible no light spillover. I see the new Hydra 26 and 52 but are those over kill for my setup or should I get one of the older units (Vega, Nano)? And at what height should it be kept?

Appreciated

Bob