Coral Vue Hydros

Tinkering (leds installed! with pics)

tinkerer

got home tonight and all looks well. the duncan is fat and happy and the zoa has decided to come back out after the aggravation i put it through removing the small fishing worms from the frag rock it was on. i will take another FTS sometime tonight and post it up later.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is new life spectrum with the blue label that i had around for feeding the nassarius. i am open to suggestions. i have fed the zoas a couple times now with reef chili from BRS. they seem happy with it but i think it is a little small for the duncan.

it is new life spectrum with the blue label that i had around for feeding the nassarius. i am open to suggestions. i have fed the zoas a couple times now with reef chili from BRS. they seem happy with it but i think it is a little small for the duncan.

Hmm. I actually don't directly feed my corals anything. I've seen paly's grab a frozen shrimp, occasional pellet, and flake though.

watchin the duncan eat is cool, i have no intention of doing it constantly though. i am still watching to see how things respond at this point. so far so good.

I only feed my acans. I fed my yellow polyps when I first got them, and soon learned they grow too fast. Do the zoas eat the reef chili? I've never seen mine take any food.

ApiratenamedJohn

I broadcast feed when I feed the fish. Or put some mix of frozen mysis, oyster feast, fuzzy phytes, and blended frozen krill in a turkey baster and squirt directly on to the colonies. But I was just curious. I might try feeding pellets next time.

it is hard to tell, if i hit them to hard with the bottle they fold up, but last night i held the bottle higher and was a little more gentle with it and a couple of them seemed to grab whatever it is in the bottle. the first night i ended up ditching the bottle and just used my hand to get it close and sprinkle it over them. they are still a bit of a mystery to me though, i am watching and learning.

I broadcast feed when I feed the fish. Or put some mix of frozen mysis, oyster feast, fuzzy phytes, and blended frozen krill in a turkey baster and squirt directly on to the colonies. But I was just curious. I might try feeding pellets next time.

i had to get the pellet right into them basically but once they had ahold of it they folded in and i could see the mouth extend to grab the pellet.

ApiratenamedJohn
here is the new FTS with the zoa lower left again after trying him higher, and the duncan on the lower right.

DSCN1277.jpg

Im gonna have to try that tomorrow when I feed. I like the new scape by the way. Caves are always my favorite. I like what's goin on on top of the cave too. It looks kinda like a post card from sydney.

i started out with a desire to build a structure like kat has, i have since decided i like where i am except for the top piece to the left, it needs a bit more separation. the crossing piece of rock is not real wide, so i use the top pieces to add a little depth to the top and open more space for coral. well see how it ends up, because i am sure i'll continue to move stuff about.

so, i have noticed way too many amphipods in the last few days. the line was crossed last night when i went to feed my now two nassarius snails and the damn amphipods came out of the rockwork all over the place and grabbed every last pellet. i had to go today to get more RO for a water change and i came home with a sixline. 1 hour of temp acclimation while adding tank water every 5 minutes, half hour no lights, half hour just actinic, and finally full lights. he is now swimming all over the place and i have even seen him hit a couple of the smaller amphipods. DIE BASTARDS DIE! this is about a month before i intended to add him, but i am going to test every day for the next week to see how things go and hope for the best. another positive is that my LFS guy had him in his own tank for the last three weeks or so. i know cause i am in every week getting water and looking at stuff. he has looked good in his tank at the store and i like him being solo not getting sick from other fish. the best laid plans are often laid to waste...

EDIT: had to check, but tank is at five weeks now, four weeks from 0,0,10

new pics! a couple of the duncan eating a pellet and one of the sixline. the sixline has found holes in the rockwork i never knew were there.

sixline.jpg

duncfeed.jpg

duncfeed2.jpg

also, my remaining hermit shed tonight. i saw the shed and thought DAMN! what the hell is wrong with them? but after a closer inspection i noticed him sitting inside one of the rockwork holes. tonight i am at 0/0/0 after a 6gallon water change and all my additions from the last week. SG is still running 1.024 on the low end and 1.025 when i do my top off. i did both today and hit my mark of 1.024 on the dot. damn i am excited to see results and have some success. also, i think the amphipods know the jig is up, i tossed a couple pellets into the nassarius and nothing came out to grab them. little bastards!

thanks, it will improve with more coral. sixline was out and active when i got home tonight and did not shy away when i was next to the tank. another good sign to me.

so, four days with the sixline and everything is still at zero. i dropped a few pellets in tonight and he snatched them up quickly. he does not shy away when i am near the tank now either, only took him a day or so to settle in. the duncan looks a little grouchy tonight, but the zoa looks good and everything seems fine. he isn't closed, just not as full as he has been the last few nights. i am getting some dusty algae on the glass. not terrible, just irritating. i am pleased with the progress and the stability after adding everything, the fish had me a little concerned but all seems fine.

i have noticed what looks like two new mouths down the stalk of my duncan. one just looks like a darker depression and one has a little split in it like a mouth. i am not completely sure what it should look like, and i cannot seem to get a good pic of either. any suggestions on if it sounds right? also, not that i am thinking of doing it yet, but how should i go about fragging the duncan? do i just cut one of the new heads off at the stem? i am sure this is around here and i will look for it when i get closer to the time, but any info here would be appreciated.

ApiratenamedJohn

I like how this tank is coming along. Nice choice in fish too. A very active and entertaining fish. What do you plan to stock for tank mates?

Archived