inTank Media Baskets

Tinkering (leds installed! with pics)

tinkerer

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

leds are in the hood! the colors on the pics are not as good as they are in person, still learning the dslr. later i will mess with the aperture to get some better shots, just wanted to get something out there.

ledfts.jpg

ledzoa.jpg

ledgsp.jpg

ledfrog.jpg

leddunc.jpg

ledflame.jpg

Looks good! Pics of the tank with LEDs on?

you can see the future can't you? i was writing when you posted :lol:

you can see the future can't you? i was writing when you posted :lol:

haha. yes i can!

your tank looks pretty killer!

im thinking of adding some other colors to mine. 10CW/10RB/4UV is nice, but white and blue together does not look as good, and UV is pretty much invisible with either one of those on. by itself UV is too dark, so i just run all white, then all blue and then UV for a couple of hours at night.

Not really sure what colors i should add and in what combination, but I really like the color or stock PC Actinics. Wish i could have the same with LED.

i put in the turquoise and red combo along with the violet in the middle. i can say with certainty now that the red and turquoise do blend seamlessly with the blues. i may in the near future push a couple uv and add some more random stuff for color blending, but the more i look at it the happier i am. my zoas are finally the color they are supposed to be and my frogspawn is looking better than ever. i am gonna give it a couple weeks to test everything out then i am gonna drop in my first sps. there is a wonderful blueish birdsnest (still a n00b, not sure on specific name) sitting at my LFS just looking for a home. project for next weekend is to fix the rigging on my drivers and dim4 so they sit where i want them.

cberglof, redstang, and kat had better well post, i need the attention... and to get over 10k views like redstang. kat, the number of views and comments you get is crazy. to cberglof, come over tonight or next sun, mon, tues to check it out. you are always welcome here.

on a side note, it is time to order from reefcleaners to keep my pistol fed... he seems to have a taste for cerith... and the pistol was clicking like crazy while i was transforming the lights. not sure what got him agitated, it made me work quicker though.

Islandoftiki

Nice light setup. Ok, I think I'm going to have to do a DIY light when I have time. These mixed color LED setups really look nice.

I'm here dude!!!! Looks awesome! I might need to add in a few more LED's myself if I can divert funds from the upgrade. Thinking of adding violet and red. Maybe 2 of each and replace half the CW with NW.

Pick up the bird's nest now. No reason to wait :D.

i just want to make sure the setup is stable. i am sure i will break down next week. but i set the goal of two weeks. i want to make sure everything works right first. plus my LFS is closed on tuesdays. DOH!

cberglof, redstang, and kat had better well post, i need the attention... and to get over 10k views like redstang. kat, the number of views and comments you get is crazy. to cberglof, come over tonight or next sun, mon, tues to check it out. you are always welcome here.

on a side note, it is time to order from reefcleaners to keep my pistol fed... he seems to have a taste for cerith... and the pistol was clicking like crazy while i was transforming the lights. not sure what got him agitated, it made me work quicker though.

The pics look awesome! I would say you have it dialed in already. I can't wait to see it. I'm sure now I will want to start messing with my colors...Thanks a lot!

I have a very little frag of pink birdsnest for you. I broke it off when I was finally mounting my frag to the live rock. It is only about a 1/2 inch but looks great and has maybe even grown a little in my frag tank. I'll have to bring it when I come to see your light. This week is crazy maybe able to come next week.

Whoa! Interesting note about the DIM4 being labeled incorrectly. I just wired up the first string of LEDs on my array and couldn't get them to light. I figured I might have had a bad connection in my soldering. I'll have to test this later.

first full day with the leds and the dim4 controlling my fans and lights. all seems well, but i only have the word of my wife to go off of as far as the start up this afternoon. with the drivers set to .52 amps i can run the dimmer full on without looking like the tank is nuclear or distracting pilots on approach to the local airport. i am gonna mess with the dim4 this weekend to put it through its paces and see what i can do with it. i am already planning on where to add a couple more leds to the system to color blend a bit better, but i am gonna see how this weekends tinkering goes. even with the 60* optics on my blues and whites i get some color splash around the tank on the floor, but it adds to the ambiance of the whole setup. so far i am really pleased with everything.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been a little out of it as i have been oncall and it will continue till weds. but yes, all looks good as fa as the lights are concerned. the pistol however is another issue. he stole the torch and buried it for two days, by the time i found it i think it was dying. not real happy about it, but i will survive.

i have been a little out of it as i have been oncall and it will continue till weds. but yes, all looks good as fa as the lights are concerned. the pistol however is another issue. he stole the torch and buried it for two days, by the time i found it i think it was dying. not real happy about it, but i will survive.

My pistol took a small yuma and I never found it! The torch will probably recover. Are you working all weekend?

Caught my pistol pulling a nice pink eye chalice towards his lair once. Thankfully rescued it and put it on a plug that afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

new fts! you can see a couple things here... A: the flame algae has gone nuts in its new home. B: i did put in a birdsnest this weekend.

ftsmar.jpg

topmar.jpg

now that the birdsnest has been in for a few days all seems good. i did finally get the power supplies rewired and pit in place and the dimm4 got mounted into the stand. anyone have a favorite food for sps? how often do you feed?

• 2 weeks later...

How are things going with the leds? Have you bleached anything yet? I have been crazy busy but still want to come see your lights some time. I have a frag of ora green birds nest and a pink for you if you want them. They are really small pieces that got broken off my frags. But they are both growing under the AI nano on my frag tank! Oh have some of that monti for you too. It has really blued up under brighter light.

• 1 month later...

so, for those interested, i have been out of mind and body for a bit. turkey hunting consumes me every other year. but, i have continued to grow the tank. it has gotten a little wild and i need to start trimming the xenia.

ftsmay12.jpg

the pic does not do several thing justice. the frog is crazy green and purple, the flame algae is orange at the tips and softball size, and the multicolored rics are impossible to see in the pic. i went to take pics a couple days ago and my camera was dead. long story short, my battery charger is crap.

Archived