Coral Vue Hydros

Tinkering (leds installed! with pics)

tinkerer

i picked up a sony alpha since it is the old minolta frame and i already had minolta lenses. i dig it so far, i am just trying to get my feet wet with it. i tried tinkering with picasa and i like some aspects of it but it does seem a little simplistic. i was shooting in raw for the first set, but i am going to run a some different types this weekend to see what i can gut out of them. i still need to get a smaller macro lens, currently the macro lens that i have is a 70-300, i have to be 4ft from the tank to get a macro pic. as far as the rock i only glued two of them in, both on the right side. the very top one and the lower ledge that overhangs just on top of the base rock. all of the rest are either stacked or balanced in place.

on another note, i am just switching over from a film slr and still trying to tell myself the digital transition will be worth the cost. i'm old school like that. damn hipsters!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AHHHHH! got a shot of the pistol/goby. pic sucks, i was messing with the wrong lens and saw them out. took the pic anyways.

gobypistol.jpg

i have been trying to decide what it was, i think you found the answer. :)

I still haven't been able to get a good pick of my pistol. Or a pick at all for that matter!

got kinda lucky, would have been better had i not been messing with the camera. good lord i need my led box to show up... looking at a heatsink and a box of drivers is killing me. maybe tonight i'll set the drivers to 650ma just for boredom sake. plus the leds will give me something to talk about.

I love how your tank is coming along. How are the fish getting along together? Any problems with the sixline? I'm thinking of getting ether a Goby/Pistol or a Clown to go with my juvenile sixline. Obviously I have concerns about the interaction of the sixline and other fish.

I love how your tank is coming along. How are the fish getting along together? Any problems with the sixline? I'm thinking of getting ether a Goby/Pistol or a Clown to go with my juvenile sixline. Obviously I have concerns about the interaction of the sixline and other fish.

My understanding is that you should always add th most aggressive fish last. Your sixline is an aggressive fish. You can add other fish but if the sixline gets aggressive you'll need to remove it(good luck), rearrange the rocks, and then add it back in as the last fish.

that and wasp seem to be the consensus so far. back to redstangs post i had mailed him directly and let him know what was up, just haven't heard back from him.

so, water change today, talked to milad yesterday and he said the rest of my stuff should be out the door by friday! weeeeee! can't wait for next week to start putting things together.

so, i got a shipping confirmation email today on my leds. cummon baby! daddy needs something to post.

Completely rebuilt my aquastyle light last weekend. I am putting it in the bc14! It have it done just need to mount it. Have fun on your build. I have really enjoyed building them. I think that I may do one more for the pico. Let me know when its done so I can come see it.

if you put 2 green corals side by side up on top, those could be the eyes of the wasp.

Nice! I have some green zoa's that would be perfect! One polyp per eye!

could put two frogspawns above the zoas to give it eyelashes.

Completely rebuilt my aquastyle light last weekend. I am putting it in the bc14! It have it done just need to mount it. Have fun on your build. I have really enjoyed building them. I think that I may do one more for the pico. Let me know when its done so I can come see it.

for sure!

Working today, or working on your lights?

couldn't log on on my phone today but no, i had real work. doh! it is on tomorrow though.

so tonight i got the dim4 connected to power as seen below and got the power supplies tied in as well. i am going to go a little non-traditional with the led layout. but i also am using the "new colors" so i am going crazy. tomorrow i am gonna go hit the drill press to get the mounting set then i can add the leds to the sink. if i get the time i am going to tune the drivers down to about 675ma. from there i have to wire the fans back into the dim4, rip out the pc stuff, and put the new stuff in. my real goal for tomorrow is the drilling, led placement, and soldering.

sink.jpg

found a cool pencil box to put the dim4 into, blue box with a clear cover.

dimm4.jpg

ultimately i am going to mount the drivers and controller to board that i will mount on the back of my stand at the top

drilled and wired, gotta tune the drivers down now. hell, i might even test run them tonight if the drivers go well.

so tonight i got the dim4 connected to power as seen below and got the power supplies tied in as well. i am going to go a little non-traditional with the led layout. but i also am using the "new colors" so i am going crazy. tomorrow i am gonna go hit the drill press to get the mounting set then i can add the leds to the sink. if i get the time i am going to tune the drivers down to about 675ma. from there i have to wire the fans back into the dim4, rip out the pc stuff, and put the new stuff in. my real goal for tomorrow is the drilling, led placement, and soldering.

sink.jpg

found a cool pencil box to put the dim4 into, blue box with a clear cover.

dimm4.jpg

ultimately i am going to mount the drivers and controller to board that i will mount on the back of my stand at the top

I like that pattern. What colors did you get? Did you go with the cree or bridgelux?

bridgelux leds, i got 2red, 2 turquoise, 2 violet, 14 rb, and 7 nw to start with. i am working my way through my first issue now. bashing my head against the wall

ok, so issue solved! the dim4 was labled wrong, 1 was really 2 and 3 was really 4 and vice versa. IT WORKS!!!!

ledset.jpg

ledtest1.jpg

for reference, the drivers are set to 520 ma right now at full power. i hope to get them set up in the afternoon. all i have left is to wire the fans, remove the old crap, and stuff them into the hood.

ok, so issue solved! the dim4 was labled wrong, 1 was really 2 and 3 was really 4 and vice versa. IT WORKS!!!!

ledset.jpg

ledtest1.jpg

for reference, the drivers are set to 520 ma right now at full power. i hope to get them set up in the afternoon. all i have left is to wire the fans, remove the old crap, and stuff them into the hood.

Sweet! Love the layout of the LED's. Your colors are going to pop.

Archived