inTank Media Baskets

3/28/04 Care & Feeding

Orange Crush

Orange Crush

First of all, I apologize in the vast lateness in posting this thread. Personal issues have kept me away from the computer and my mind off reefs (as evidenced by mine) for several weeks.

Plus, Gil said he'd post one for me...It went something like this: Gil, post a topic of the week for me ok? TYIA.

Apparently, my thanks were premature.

So on to the topic!

Care and feeding: What have you used, what's worked for you in the past, what have your experieces taught you to stay away from?

This is for both fish and inverts. Tell what kind of food, how often, and what kind of response do you see? I.E. growth rate, colors, etc.

I guess I'll get this one started..... For finicky eaters, many of us here in the SoCal area were able to be testers for the pumpable Cyclop-eeze that is now being marketed by liquid life USA as Marine Plankton. It is an easier way to get cyclop-eeze and the fish just go crazy for them. I have also seen many of my corals grab them from the water column.

Also for many of you who wish to keep clams under PC's. Feeding Phytoplankton to my tank has allowed me to keep them in the past. I have used both DT's and Liquid Life BioPlanton and have gotten similar results so from now on I will be using the Bioplankton since it is much cheaper.

I've used Kent's Phytoplankton. I figure it will feed the bottom of the food chain and so the top of the food chain will be supported. Occasionally I manually feed "Sweetwater zooplankton" to my lps (torch, candycane). They seem to take it, though I only feed to so few corals that the rest of the jar of zooplankton is starting to rot. It will likely be fed to my freshwater fish instead!

Some people don't feed their tanks at all! My setup is a 10g with a 10g sump/fuge....so there is lots of naturally occuring food bits floating around. My sps and lps and softies seem to be thriving right now...so it seems to work!

V

AReeferIsExpensive

i bought a b.cardinal and after a couple weeks i hadnt seen him eat once....he looked ethiopian and my CBS ripped off his fin! he swam around with almost no fin for a while. i was feeding the tank every morning with formula one.

after some research, i decided to take a new approach

i used mysis shrimp instead of formula 1 because i read that they love the taste. i also read that they are out more at night, and are more comfortable in the dark, so i fed the tank at night, and made sure the only light that was on was 15watts of actinic.

i put the shrimp in the tank by dropping it in the outflow of my PS so he wouldnt see any hands, and sure enough he started eating!

B/c mysis shrimp doesnt have enough nutritional value, every feeding, i slowly mixed in a little bit of form 1.

Now i feed under actinics, every night, with a variety of foods. Hes a total PIG! Hell eat any food i put in the tank and is used to seeing my hand now. After he started eating, the fin started to grow back VERY fast...which is now completely healed.

Also, if i squirt a drop of water mixed with micro-vert at my brain and come back about 5 minutes later, its mouth is open...i turn off the closet PH and lay a piece of mysis shrimp tail first in the mouth and watch it slowly go down and close~ neat stuff!

My next goal is to figure out how to feed my RBTA without my crab stealing it from him! Ive tought all my sexies, my BRFS, and both crabs to eat from my hand, and now when i bring any food towards the anemone, its ripped out of my fingers by the por. crab b4 i even reach it! if i put any food in the anemone, he steals it! =/ sneaky little thing~

• 3 weeks later...
Soapboxcharlie

I like to feed my nanoreef Cyclops. I recently started feeding my sand and the polyps Cyclops in my 55 gal fish/reef cyclops as well when I did the mushrooms and polyps also perked up. My Blue Tang started to gain wait and his white spots starte to disapear.

FishingInMyNano

i like to feed a variety of foods about 3-4 times a week, mysis shrimp, chopped up krill, cypclop-eeze,live brine, and liquidlife.

all my tank inhabitants seem to crazy fo the mysis shrimp, and cyclop-eeze, I like to use a rigid airline and a syringe to target feed all my corals so I can reduce waste.

• 3 years later...
SlvrSurfRidr
My next goal is to figure out how to feed my RBTA without my crab stealing it from him! Ive tought all my sexies, my BRFS, and both crabs to eat from my hand, and now when i bring any food towards the anemone, its ripped out of my fingers by the por. crab b4 i even reach it! if i put any food in the anemone, he steals it! =/ sneaky little thing~

I hear ya, my emerald will actually fight my RBTA for silversides. Anyone got any ideas on how to get him to ease up!? I might just have to trade him away if he won't stop ... anyone want an emerald crab?!

• 5 years later...

I us frozen cubes like krill and algae and mixtures of food so that all of my fish gets what they like. I would also through in some pieces of krill an every once in a while I would put algae clip for my tang and my lemonpeel or just tie. Peace of romaine lettuce to a rock and they will devour it

Archived