Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My New 50G! Long Cadlight's Artisan!

tokendog

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice new pics, very nice.

If your still looking for an image host I use http://imgur.com/

Thank you, and I will check them out. I started using smugmug and so far I like it, but you have to pay $30 for an entire year I believe. It's a lot like Picasa but I like the way it handles and organizes images for you.

I will also get that information that you requested today.

Hot! Nice pics.

Thank you very much.

Here's another one that I took this morning. It's dark, but I like it. I think the Hammer coral looks like fireworks in a way.

DSC01589-L.jpg

I will also get that information that you requested today.

Thanks, looks like AI is going to work with me and get me a new cover to match the other.

Thanks, looks like AI is going to work with me and get me a new cover to match the other.

Yeah, I have read that they have great customer service. Did they offer an explanation as to why it was a different color?

Yeah, I have read that they have great customer service. Did they offer an explanation as to why it was a different color?

Just that they used a different plastics supplier for a more aesthetically pleasing bright white color.

I have to pay $10 shipping for a new one. Should have it next week.

Just that they used a different plastics supplier for a more aesthetically pleasing bright white color.

I have to pay $10 shipping for a new one. Should have it next week.

Yeah, that's what I figured. The bright white looks a LOT better but the lighting in my house is not that great so I didn't even notice.

I need to get around to installing better bulbs in my house, LOL!

As for an update on the tank,

I've been spending most of my morning playing with the new macro lens but got around to roughly installing a new BRS Deluxe reactor. So now I have one BRS reactor running GFO and one running carbon. This should greatly improve water quality.

I love the BRS reactors. I also have a Nextreef MR1 and while it's aesthetically a very nice unit, the BRS one gets the job done, looks good, and seems damn near indestructible. Plus it comes with a lot of accessories that make installing and controlling the flow very straight forward and simple.

Also, on a side note, I have a Marineland MJ1200 on one reactor and a Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200 on the other. Are these SERIOUSLY the same pump? The Cobalt Aquatics pump is far less noisy than the Marineland pump. It's well worth the slight increase in price.

I will definitely be ordering more Cobalt pumps and BRS reactors for my other aquariums around the house and as backups.

Thought that this might interest you about the bumblebee snails.

It just links directly to Reefcleaners.org? No article or anything.

I know that Bumble Bee snails are carnivores and not usually recommended for a mixed aquarium. I have them in a nano where they are one of the few inhabitants.

I'm not sure if that's what you were trying to tell me.

I know that Bumble Bee snails are carnivores and not usually recommended for a mixed aquarium. I have them in a nano where they are one of the few inhabitants.

So I've switched from the Tamron 90mm to a Sony 100mm and definitely like this lens a lot more.

Here are some amateur macro photos of my tank -including one from my nano which is dedicated to my Harlequin shrimp. I highly recommend you click on the photo to see the full sized image. I think the picture size is too large for the forum.

Thanks for looking!

DSC02060-L.jpg

DSC02079-L.jpg

One of my favorite so far:

DSC02054-L.jpg

DSC01624-L.jpg

And my Harlequin from a different tank

DSC01219-L.jpg

Some more as I experiment with light settings. These pictures are telling me that I need to add more corals, since I've mostly been shooting the same stuff.

I may have to make a visit to my LFS soon...

The most beautiful coral in my tank, color wise, is the Wells. Brain:

DSC02112-L.jpg

DSC02116-L.jpg

and I love Duncans...I love the movement they provide, and how throughout the day, and depending on their mood, they either have long tendrils or short tendrils...plus they LOVE to feed:

DSC02124-L.jpg

DSC02130-L.jpg

DSC02132-L.jpg

Well, thanks for looking, and I hope to add more corals in the near future. :)

Fooling around with Photoshop Elements. I'm not a huge fan of edited photos so these are lightly touched up.

This is pretty much how they look in the tank.

DSC02156-L.jpg

DSC02210-L.jpg

DSC02221-L.jpg

DSC02250-L.jpg

DSC02211-L.jpg

DSC02255-L.jpg

Awesome pictures!

Thanks!

Amazing pics, how is the plumbing and sump holding up.

If I remember correctly you are not 100% hard pipes?

Thanks! The sump is great. I would design it differently after having used it for a while now, but it functions adequately enough. It's not the sump itself, but rather the design, which is entirely my fault.

I already have plans for an upgraded design next time around.

And yes, you are right. I'm not 100% PVC. My drain is PVC and my return is mostly flex PVC. I did add a PVC section with a ball valve in order to be able to control the return flow, but otherwise, it's not all PVC.

I really don't see the need for PVC on the return side. As for my drain, I need to redo the PVC there and eliminate turns that slow the flow downward. The way my sump is designed, I want the water stirring up the drain section so that debris doesn't get a chance to build up there. I also have a few hermit crabs and snails in that section to help clean up any extra food / waste that may collect.

So far it has worked well.

Thanks for your honestly, a lot of people who go all flex for everything carry on about how hard pipes are not necessary on either the return or the drain and go on to call SCH40/80 people overkill.

I am going to try hard pipes day one and see the result (reduced vibration,leaks, piece of mind, adjustable flow).

Haha for me it links to their information page about bad snails. I just didn't know that they ate the stuff in the sand that makes it live. In just wanted to share what I have learned that I didn't know about before. :)

Haha for me it links to their information page about bad snails. I just didn't know that they ate the stuff in the sand that makes it live. In just wanted to share what I have learned that I didn't know about before. :)

Yeah, thank you. I had read it before. They are some cool looking snails. Figures they wouldn't be recommended for most reef tanks. The real cool stuff is almost always bad for your tank in one way or the other. =P

It is difficult to get good photos of fish with a macro lens due to the way the lens focuses. It's slow to focus, for one. The Sony 100mm is supposed to be good at portraits as well, but I will probably have to crop the photos if I want to get the fish.

Almost all attempts to get a close-up of the fish results in blurred images. I will continue to practice and am getting a tripod / monopod in the next couple of days, plus another lens that should be better suited for taking pictures of quick moving fish.

In the meantime, these are the 3 out of around 30 that came out decent:

DSC02375-Edit-L.jpg

This came out dark and I could not increase the exposure without creating a lot of grain in the image:

DSC02379-L.jpg

And my mischievous Melanurus Wrasse...He's always eating, always up to no good:

DSC02388-L.jpg

Great picture! I like them. :)

Thank you. :) I'm trying to get better at taking photos for you guys.

Your pics of the wrasse and Brain are awesome! Well their all awesome got a new FTS?

Thank you! The brain is by far one of my favorites, and the Wrasse is the most interesting character in my tank. He is always up to trouble and on the move.

No FTS at the moment. I am working on setting up my Apex controller to automate my system like it is supposed to, and I plan on re-organizing some of my corals so it's not as cluttered. I am also thinking about adding a few new pieces. :)

As soon as those changes are done, I'll get a FTS up. In the mean time, I will continue to add the best of the photos that I manage to get as I practice more with the new lenses. :)

Archived