Top Shelf Aquatics

Flexin5's 10 gallon Tank

Flexin5

i read over your thread, our tanks are very similar! same size, same lights, pair of clowns..

Yep, I had noticed they were similar, so I've been watching your thread. Unfortunately I had a brooklynella outbreak so I don't have the clownfish anymore. I currently have a YWG and an orange firefish.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha we had family friends over last night and the woman who's like mid/late 30's was acting like that with her husband. I guess she has never seen a reef tank before.

Then she flipped when I just turned on the actinics and let them glow.

haha, sounds like she's never been into a pet store before?

Yep, I had noticed they were similar, so I've been watching your thread. Unfortunately I had a brooklynella outbreak so I don't have the clownfish anymore. I currently have a YWG and an orange firefish.

yea i was reading about that, ####ty deal :( but that must have been a pain to deal with. it's crazy how your lights made your tank heat up so much, i've been reading that other people have the same problem but i don't think i am, my lights are on with the bracket it came with but the tank never reaches over 80degrees, and that's after 10hrs with the lights on.

cleaned the glass tonight a bit, clowns seem happy, so i decided to snap a few.

after feeding the emrald crab decided to come out...i swear i've seen this guy like..twice. :lol:

KY0C9906.jpg

side tank shot

KY0C9914.jpg

and a FTS

KY0C9917.jpg

since my LFS has butt all for zoa's, (the zoa's i have now were the only ones they had so i grabbed those) i found another fish store about 20 mins away that has a bunch of really cool looking zoa's. i'm going to be making a trip out there at some point this weekend and i'll probably be bring something back! B)

yea i was reading about that, ####ty deal :( but that must have been a pain to deal with.

Yeah its definitely still a pain because I've got to run two tanks for 4 more weeks. I'm so ready to get my remaining fish back in the DT.

it's crazy how your lights made your tank heat up so much, i've been reading that other people have the same problem but i don't think i am, my lights are on with the bracket it came with but the tank never reaches over 80degrees, and that's after 10hrs with the lights on.

Hmmm...its the same light fixture, so it must have something to do with air flow in the room or maybe AC. I'm in Northern CA and we don't have AC here because its not needed, so there's probably not as much air flow.

Yeah its definitely still a pain because I've got to run two tanks for 4 more weeks. I'm so ready to get my remaining fish back in the DT.

Hmmm...its the same light fixture, so it must have something to do with air flow in the room or maybe AC. I'm in Northern CA and we don't have AC here because its not needed, so there's probably not as much air flow.

ah i see, ya here in toronto it's fall now so the temps outside are pretty cold, we keep the house at about 72 degrees but the tank is in a very open area (living room) so it probably stays cool easily.

Update: bad news. earlier in the week my smaller clown fish died. i feel horrible about it. he always would swim around the pickup of the 110. i thought nothing of it because i had the hose from the surface skimmer going into the 110. well i guess his little face was small enough to fit right inbetween the 110 pickup and the skimmer hose and got sucked up and died. :( :( :( needless to say i was pretty pissed.

so that night, right away i tested the tank and all params were fine. i pulled out the skimmer and the pickup of the 110 and cut a unused media bag, then i wrapped it around the part where he got sucked in and put rubber bands on it for now. now if a fish or anything goes near there all it will get is a face full of mesh and won't be sucked up. looks pretty ghetto fab, but i'm going to re-do it with a black peice of media bag and two small black zip ties. i'll save you guys the pics of the poor dead clown.

on a better note, bought some new stuff today. i went to the LFS but they were out of ocellaris, another store has them so i'm going to pick up a replacement for the one i lost tomorow.

i also checked out a new small store that sold mostly all coral. he had alot of really nice stuff. for $50 i picked up:

something like eagle eye zoas?

KY0C9929.jpg

neon green w/yellow outer

KY0C9934.jpg

and 1 head of some pink tip frogspawn

KY0C9942.jpg

and here's a updated FTS

KY0C9944.jpg

lots of other zoa's i want to pickup aswell as some GSP, torch coral and pulsing xenia...all in time tho.

ah i see, ya here in toronto it's fall now so the temps outside are pretty cold, we keep the house at about 72 degrees but the tank is in a very open area (living room) so it probably stays cool easily.

That makes sense. Glad you don't have any issues with it heating the tank.

Update: bad news. earlier in the week my smaller clown fish died. i feel horrible about it. he always would swim around the pickup of the 110. i thought nothing of it because i had the hose from the surface skimmer going into the 110. well i guess his little face was small enough to fit right inbetween the 110 pickup and the skimmer hose and got sucked up and died. :( :( :( needless to say i was pretty pissed.

Sorry to hear about the clownfish. That's horrible. Poor little guy. I didn't even think about that with my new AC70 intake. Its got decent sized slots which I'm sure my firefish's head could fit in easily. I'll have to fix that before I put the fish back in the DT.

something like eagle eye zoas?

KY0C9929.jpg

Those look like the Eagle Eyes I have.

neon green w/yellow outer

KY0C9934.jpg

I have these too, but have only even seen them called green zoas. Let me know if you get an ID.

and here's a updated FTS

KY0C9944.jpg

Looking good!

That makes sense. Glad you don't have any issues with it heating the tank.

Sorry to hear about the clownfish. That's horrible. Poor little guy. I didn't even think about that with my new AC70 intake. Its got decent sized slots which I'm sure my firefish's head could fit in easily. I'll have to fix that before I put the fish back in the DT.

Those look like the Eagle Eyes I have.

I have these too, but have only even seen them called green zoas. Let me know if you get an ID.

Looking good!

thanks! zoa's have so many names, the guy at the store diden't even know that they name them. i'm like "those looks like eagle eye zoa's" and he just gave me a :huh: LOL

yea it was a crappy deal with the little clown. ya definatly if you have little fish cover up the intake, cheap insurance, and it's a crappy way to loose a fish. :(

well today i replace the clown, when he got into the tank the bigger one started to bully him around for a bit but now they seem to be getting along for the most part, both are eating, the little one ate like he hasent been fed in a while. here's a side shot, don't mind the glass i cleaned it right after.

KY0C9947.jpg

Nice new additions B) like the froggy, they are cute when they are just the one little head.

ya it's pretty cool, but i want it to grow bigger so that the clowns will host it. i think the bigger one is hosting the corner of the tank...lol

should i be feeding the froggy some phytoplankton?

ya it's pretty cool, but i want it to grow bigger so that the clowns will host it. i think the bigger one is hosting the corner of the tank...lol

should i be feeding the froggy some phytoplankton?

I have a three head frogspawn that I got while I still had my clowns and they were still more interested in my glass thermometer, haha.

I feed Phytofeast evey other day or so for all the corals, but I don't spot feed the frogspawn.

I have a three head frogspawn that I got while I still had my clowns and they were still more interested in my glass thermometer, haha.

I feed Phytofeast evey other day or so for all the corals, but I don't spot feed the frogspawn.

LOL well i guess they are living up to their names. good news is that the new clown is getting along just fine with the female now, when he first went into the tank the female was chasing him all over but now it looks like they paird up, always swimming together. i'm glad that the one won't be lonley now.

the frogspawn has almost doubled in size! in less than a week! today i noticed the clowns checking it out. i hope they host it. since i only got a frag with 1 head, will it split on it's own? i was thinking about picking up a different colored FS again this weekend and placing it near the current one so they can grow bigger next to eachother, but i'm not sure if they will sting eachother :huh:

the plan for this weekend is to clean the crap out of the tank. going to scrape off all the algae off the glass, clean up the salt deposits on the rim of the tank etc. test the water, (it's been the longest that i've been w/o testing..1 week :lol: ) and head back to that coral store!

i'm thinking about picking up about another 3 frags of zoas (about the same size as the last ones) some GSP altho i'm having a hard time on where i want to place it in the tank; and either another head of frogspawn or a frag of torch coral if i see one i like.

I'm surprised you've found time to post on here :P what level are you? My friend got it at midnight release, I texted him at 8am asking him where he was... He got to 48... He's a beast. B)

I think they would sting each other, but I'm not an expert. I'd get a torch though for diversity :)

Glad to hear the clowns paired!

The frogspawn will split into more heads by itself as it grows, so no need to buy another one. I'm with Joel, get a hammer or torch for some diversity. Just space them far enough apart that they can't sting one another. The clownfish could potentially pick either of them to host.

From what I was reading when I was trying to get my clownfish to host, it may take them quite a while. They may ignore a coral for a year or more and then suddenly host it. Or they may never host at all, or pick something silly like a powerhead. I'd just put in what you like and then wait and see what the clowns do. I wouldn't worry too much about needing a bigger frogspawn for them. Mine is 3 heads (even though I asked the guy I bought it from for 2) and its really big in my 10 gallon. The thing can spread out HUGE. The one head should be plenty for the clowns to host if they want once its happy and spreads out all the way.

People have success with taking a picture off the Internet of a clown hosting in the coral you want them to host and stick it on the glass. The idea is they see it and copy it B)

I'm surprised you've found time to post on here :P what level are you? My friend got it at midnight release, I texted him at 8am asking him where he was... He got to 48... He's a beast. B)

I think they would sting each other, but I'm not an expert. I'd get a torch though for diversity :)

LOL i'm at like 32, i'm at work right now, otherwise i was definatly infront of the TV. cathcing up on my internetz here..haha game is wicked tho, very good, not a let down like black ops was.

Glad to hear the clowns paired!

The frogspawn will split into more heads by itself as it grows, so no need to buy another one. I'm with Joel, get a hammer or torch for some diversity. Just space them far enough apart that they can't sting one another. The clownfish could potentially pick either of them to host.

From what I was reading when I was trying to get my clownfish to host, it may take them quite a while. They may ignore a coral for a year or more and then suddenly host it. Or they may never host at all, or pick something silly like a powerhead. I'd just put in what you like and then wait and see what the clowns do. I wouldn't worry too much about needing a bigger frogspawn for them. Mine is 3 heads (even though I asked the guy I bought it from for 2) and its really big in my 10 gallon. The thing can spread out HUGE. The one head should be plenty for the clowns to host if they want once its happy and spreads out all the way.

ohh so it will split on its own. see the frag i got, the fleshy part of the FS came out of one branch and there's another but with no tenticles. i'm wondering if they will grow out of that one or if i'll need to cut that off. i think i'm going to go for some torch in that case, im hoping i can find a nice vibrant colored one. how much flow should the torch get? alot? middle? low? if i put them at the very top they will be flowing straight to the side alot with the way the powerhead is pointing.

the one FS head now is big enough for the smaller clown now. in the back of my mind i'm just hoping that they host a coral instead of the top corner of the tank...incase he decideds he wants to learn how to fly and jump out. don't want to loose another clown. :mellow: plus i think it looks really cool when they host a coral.

People have success with taking a picture off the Internet of a clown hosting in the coral you want them to host and stick it on the glass. The idea is they see it and copy it B)

seriously? #### i've never heard of that! but i'd give that a try once the FS is big enough or i pick up the torch :) thanks for the idea B) and pick up MW3 and a ps3! :D

I gots a ps3, I'm just not convinced I'd get $60 out of MW3. :( the last two games I've bought I've not finished. When do you prestige at? That plays a part too haha, I have no endurance past level 35. It's stops being fun once I can't level up every three games. I only went prestige on MW and BO. Anything over 55 levels and you lose me.

I've only read that trick works with the picture, it's worth a shot. I'll be trying it if I get clowns B)

I gots a ps3, I'm just not convinced I'd get $60 out of MW3. :( the last two games I've bought I've not finished. When do you prestige at? That plays a part too haha, I have no endurance past level 35. It's stops being fun once I can't level up every three games. I only went prestige on MW and BO. Anything over 55 levels and you lose me.

I've only read that trick works with the picture, it's worth a shot. I'll be trying it if I get clowns B)

your right, it's worth a shot, once the FS gets a bit bigger i'll be trying it out.

i thought you only had an xbox, i hate prestiging, you play alot to get everything so i don't want to start all over again..lol grab a copy! just trade in some of the old games you don't play anymore. lol

Maybe... we'll see

I had both, my third 360 died on me, and now I'm done with xboxes. -_-

Which means I have a butt ton of 360 games I'm not using and could trade in...

Maybe... we'll see

I had both, my third 360 died on me, and now I'm done with xboxes. -_-

Which means I have a butt ton of 360 games I'm not using and could trade in...

dood, you gotta pick up a copy, game is actually really good!

went shopping this weekend! found a local guy who happens to live just down the street from me that sells frags. he has ALL sorts of zoas, he's really into them. knew all the (what i call) internet names for them and had about 4 big tanks just with zoa frags. i ended up picking up 7 frags..lol been busy giving the tank and all the equipment a clean, aswell as a water change. i'll snap some pics and update tonight :)

Well I got let go from my job so I have some free time, I'll probably get it this week :lol:

Can't wait to see pics of the new stuff!

yea i saw that in your thread...:( onto bigger and better things i say! let me know when you pick up mw3..lol

so here are some pics of what frags i got, unfortunally the coolest imo zoa i got, only had 3 polyps on the frag, diden't want to open for pics. it's like a magenta color, very bright and vibrant. also my macro lense and slr weren't agreeing with me tonight i think i have to send it in for a cleaning or something.

i forgot most of the actual names of them but anywhoo

green/blue with a yellow skirt

KY0C9950.jpg

purple middle, dark blue skirt (gorrilla nipples? :lol: )

KY0C9951.jpg

orange center, long brown skirt

KY0C9954.jpg

blue/green center

KY0C9955.jpg

vibrant yellow w/orange skirt

KY0C9953.jpg

and some GSP

KY0C9958.jpg

new FTS

KY0C9960.jpg

unfortunally he ran out of torch coral but he'll be getting in more, that's probably the only other frag i'm going to get for now; i want to give the tank a chance to grow, and have the zoa's spread/multiply. :) my other zoa's are doing great, growing much bigger every week, as well as the frogspawn. clown seem happy too, i hope all stays well!

be careful with torch coral! their tentacles are very long, i mean VERY long. usually around 6 inches. in a stocked 10 gallon this is bad. lol trust me, i made the mistake in my 10, plus i heard (probably a rumor) that they can sting fish and kill them.

like i said ^^ probably just a rumor but, better safe then sorry in my opinion!

BTW you have some nice zoas!

also i love that teggy! is that yours? or just an avatar you picked up?

be careful with torch coral! their tentacles are very long, i mean VERY long. usually around 6 inches. in a stocked 10 gallon this is bad. lol trust me, i made the mistake in my 10, plus i heard (probably a rumor) that they can sting fish and kill them.

like i said ^^ probably just a rumor but, better safe then sorry in my opinion!

BTW you have some nice zoas!

also i love that teggy! is that yours? or just an avatar you picked up?

thanks everyone! the local fragg guy had many more, and at $10 a frag it's pretty cheap (for cdn prices) and he tossed in one for free. there's a couple more that i want to get but not until i see how much room i have once these start to grow.

about the torch coral, i was thinking about moving stuff around to give the torch plenty of room. but it's going to be a while until i can get a frag of the torch i want, during that time, if the frogspawn grows big enough and the clowns host it, then i'll just end up getting a hammer instead.

thanks about the teg! ya that's mine, funny because i actually was working on it today after neglecting it for a couple of months..lol

yea i saw that in your thread...:( onto bigger and better things i say! let me know when you pick up mw3..lol

Will do B) I'm going to trade in some games today I think. I need to write a personal statement for law school admissions so I will probably get that done before I start playing, obviously :lol: everyone keeps telling me it's exactly what should have come after MW and like the best one yet so I feel like I have to get it. My only concern is all my FPS skills are on a 360 controller so don't make fun of me when I go 2-16 the first few matches!

Sweet zoas and gsp B) I had never heard that about torches, I had a large one with no problems but that doesn't mean it's not true, maybe I just got lucky haha. I'd definitely check that out. Hammers look cooler IMO so if it's true you're not out of luck. This tank is really coming together!

Archived