Innovative Marine Aquariums

ayobreezie's 40 gallon tank thread, simplified

ayobreezie

nice setup ayo!

I also have a 40b im getting up and running with a 6 bulb retro. Question about the MP10 I am also going to be running one but wanted to put it on the back wall any pro's and cons that you can see so far on flow difference between the side and back wall?

Thanks. Yeah, I actually haven't tried the MP10 on the back wall, but having the MP10 pointing the same direction as my loc line has increased surface agitation. Everything seems to like it more. The flow from the side is kinda directed by my rocks as well to provide no deadspots. I have one deadspot, but it's right in the open so I can clean up bits of food and what not a lot easier, as well.

Also, if I put the MP10 on the back, it would blow up all the sand. The MP10 on the side still blows sand, and I have less than an inch. I move my sand to areas where the flow won't affect it. Kind'a just trial and error.

Don't know if that's helpful.. it's probably just babbling. Lol, but good luck. Flow is a part of the aquascape, in my opinion.. so if I change scapes, I usually tweak powerhead placement as well.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron
Thanks. Yeah, I actually haven't tried the MP10 on the back wall, but having the MP10 pointing the same direction as my loc line has increased surface agitation. Everything seems to like it more. The flow from the side is kinda directed by my rocks as well to provide no deadspots. I have one deadspot, but it's right in the open so I can clean up bits of food and what not a lot easier, as well.

Also, if I put the MP10 on the back, it would blow up all the sand. The MP10 on the side still blows sand, and I have less than an inch. I move my sand to areas where the flow won't affect it. Kind'a just trial and error.

Don't know if that's helpful.. it's probably just babbling. Lol, but good luck. Flow is a part of the aquascape, in my opinion.. so if I change scapes, I usually tweak powerhead placement as well.

Mp10 is better length wise so it can do its job!

Woot! Nem stayed put after I rotated the rock to display it more. Might have to move some Sps.

IMG_5899.jpg

New FTS and video after I get my flame angel (Joel got me to make a definitive decision) and anthias probably Tuesday or Wednesday. :D

SouthFlorida_Tron
Woot! Nem stayed put after I rotated the rock to display it more. Might have to move some Sps.

IMG_5899.jpg

New FTS and video after I get my flame angel (Joel got me to make a definitive decision) and anthias probably Tuesday or Wednesday. :D

:scarry:fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Would you say this is a happy, healthy rbta? It didn't have huge bubbletips at the store either.. Was in low flow at the lfs.

IMG_9679.jpg

Lol edited.. Wrong pic.

Yeah hasn't moved at all.. Hopefully never will.

It's setup as a simple bulkhead with strainer overflow and dual loc line return.

I didn't feel like doing a herbie or calfo.. But next one I will. Back of the drain, I plumbed it as a durso.. It's loud as hell. But it's in the living room by the kitchen area.. So it's not a nuisance.. It sounds like someone constantly peeing lol.

Update.. Got a pair of Bartlett's today.. Acclimating now.. Thinking if I do a flame angel or coral beauty, it will be in about 4 - 6 months.. So they don't kill my frags..

Pretty Bartlett's :) really good color on them.

Good idea on the flame/beauty. I'm sure a lot of people are curious about dwarf angel's so I'm going to make a habit of reporting mine's behavior, good or bad, when I do tank updates.

Pretty Bartlett's :) really good color on them.

Good idea on the flame/beauty. I'm sure a lot of people are curious about dwarf angel's so I'm going to make a habit of reporting mine's behavior, good or bad, when I do tank updates.

Thanks Joel. Yeah, keep me posted on the angel. Yeah, I hope one of the Anthias dominates and becomes male, don't want to have to get rid of one because they both turn male or something..

Awesome! B)

You might have already said it, but what setting is your MP10 on? I was under the impression that an MP10 was undersized for a 40 and really wasn't into paying 400+ for a MP40.

Awesome! B)

You might have already said it, but what setting is your MP10 on? I was under the impression that an MP10 was undersized for a 40 and really wasn't into paying 400+ for a MP40.

Yeah, I thought the mp10 would be underpowered, but so far it's been giving good flow.. I actually think it's perfect for up to a 50 gal now. I have mine set on Reef Crest 100%.. I do short pulse or nutrient transport mode for about 20 minutes every few days for filter sock change and water changes(bi weekly).

Got my Aquacontroller 3 today. Took all day to figure out how to setup the router to connect wireless to it.. But it's all hooked up.. Just need to calibrate the ph probe and tweak a couple more settings later. But lighting is on schedule.

I'm running out of things to buy for the tank lol.

The female Bartlett might be turning male.. :/

Dude, you're doing this right. B)

I'm thinking about asking for an Apex (so I can control it with my phone). Keep us posted on your experience.

Why do you think s/he's turning?

Seems like it's changing it's head more and more purple. They don't always swim together, but don't seem to fight often though.. once in awhile, one shows dominance, usually the male, but no fighting.

Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes. I was going to opt for an Apex, but I got a deal on the AC3 setup. And it came with a new pH probe, just no calibration water.. =/. Guy even gave me the router to set it up wirelessly.

The only anthias I had a an already changed male Squareback so I don't really know anything about how they change but that seems really odd that they would start changing so soon after going into your tank.

Could it be you're feeding them better food for their color than the LFS did? If it is a male, what's your plan?

If it turns into a male, it'll be up for sale/trade.. but it could be better food. If the full head fills in, it's definitely a male, and I'll post him up. I hear they do better in trios or harems anyways.

Archived