Innovative Marine Aquariums

October 2011 Reef Profile - d9hp

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For October we're featuring d9hp and his 20 gallon nano reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find d9hp's tank journal in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for d9hp, and he'll try his best to answer them.

igotreefermadness

Tank looks awesome man, I would just like to chime in on the comment you said, "keep your hands out of the tank and you will see great results". Earlier this summer, due to school and other constraints I only had a very small fraction of time maybe once every week to take care of my tank. This included manually topping off water and feeding etc. Aside from all of these unstable parameters, the PE I saw was the best my tank has ever had. It really made me appreciate the effects a person's hand can have on a tank, particularly in a nano reef. The coral thrive.

congrats! looks like I should find some set of plastic tong-like holders instead of sticking my hand in the tank for misc. purposes. Any recommendations d9 or anyone else?

Congrats d9! :)

I've been wondering when you would get TOTM. You have an awesome tank, well deserved ;)

Nice tank! CM, home page says 3g pico reef, not 20L. :)

Great tank

Congrats and you got a a awesome tank :)

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the kind remarks.

It's been fun for sure!

Tank looks awesome man, I would just like to chime in on the comment you said, "keep your hands out of the tank and you will see great results". Earlier this summer, due to school and other constraints I only had a very small fraction of time maybe once every week to take care of my tank. This included manually topping off water and feeding etc. Aside from all of these unstable parameters, the PE I saw was the best my tank has ever had. It really made me appreciate the effects a person's hand can have on a tank, particularly in a nano reef. The coral thrive.

Absolutely. If you can keep up with water changes all through those periods I bet you'd see even better results! Glad to hear you noticed that as well.

congrats! looks like I should find some set of plastic tong-like holders instead of sticking my hand in the tank for misc. purposes. Any recommendations d9 or anyone else?

Thanks th64. I really meant the comment to be taken more figuratively. I just meant that moving things around and micro-managing the system is what I believe causes people's slower growth. I think that simply putting corals in places where they are able to thrive and letting them do their own thing is the most ideal thing to do. Actually using your hand won't have any problems at all...and sometimes you've just got to get in there and move some stuff around!

My big paws always knock corals over too...and that just pisses you off more than anything.

I've been lurking on this site for a while learning whatever I can so I can start my tank on the right foot. Your tank actually inspired me to get into sw and build the tank I am building. I first saw your tank on utube and followed it here. Not surprised at all that you have the TOTM. Ok enough ass kissing. If I have time to start a build thread hopefully you can give me some help, I'll need it.

Oh ya first post!

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the kind remarks.

It's been fun for sure!

Absolutely. If you can keep up with water changes all through those periods I bet you'd see even better results! Glad to hear you noticed that as well.

Thanks th64. I really meant the comment to be taken more figuratively. I just meant that moving things around and micro-managing the system is what I believe causes people's slower growth. I think that simply putting corals in places where they are able to thrive and letting them do their own thing is the most ideal thing to do. Actually using your hand won't have any problems at all...and sometimes you've just got to get in there and move some stuff around!

My big paws always knock corals over too...and that just pisses you off more than anything.

Oh haha alright got it!

Hi d9hp,

Congratulations on winning TOTM! I am also running an arduino dimmed Cree CW/RB setup, but I'm not sure that my lighting is set optimally. I don't see much coral growth...

What percentage power do you run your LEDs at? I run mine at 65% of max current.

Thanks

john

Congrats buddy!well deserved.

Thanks E!

I've been lurking on this site for a while learning whatever I can so I can start my tank on the right foot. Your tank actually inspired me to get into sw and build the tank I am building. I first saw your tank on utube and followed it here. Not surprised at all that you have the TOTM. Ok enough ass kissing. If I have time to start a build thread hopefully you can give me some help, I'll need it.

Oh ya first post!

Wow! That's awesome glitch. Glad I could inspire a little bit. This is a great resource...I learned most everything here. No, seriously. It's great!

Just PM me questions if you have any specifics...I don't always catch threads.

Thanks again

Oh haha alright got it!

Hi d9hp,

Congratulations on winning TOTM! I am also running an arduino dimmed Cree CW/RB setup, but I'm not sure that my lighting is set optimally. I don't see much coral growth...

What percentage power do you run your LEDs at? I run mine at 65% of max current.

Thanks

john

Hey John,

Thanks! Glad to hear you're running LEDs and I think we can get you sorted out on those lights working out for you. What is your current driver setup? Do you have control of individual colors? I run my blues at 100% which equates to about 800mA.

I run the whites around 40%-80% most of the time. That should be something like 350mA-650mA

I love the color too!

Cheers,

D

I haven't had the chance to say it yet but congrats on the TOTM nod.

Thanks for stopping by Dan...your old 37g was an absolute inspiration to me.

Thanks for that! :D

Congrats d9hp on TOTM! Well deserved.

Thanks SoCal...much appreciated

Hi d9hp,

I have individual dimming of whites and blues, I have the whites now at 65% and the royal blues up to 75%. I'll leave it there for a month or so and edge up the blue if nothing happens.

Thanks for the advice

John

D9 I stopped by to say great job. the picture of your tank up front page made me click and read it because the color was so soft purple and bright in that pic, its the nicest blue Ive seen on a tank.

Archived