inTank Media Baskets

45g Long and Shallow

snookman03

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a while of debating on how to light this tank, I Just put an order in with Rapid LED for 4 PAR 38 bulbs with 80 degree optics. I first thought i would go with boost led par 30's, then I was all set on building a DIY Aqua Styles kit, but in the end I am happy with my decision of Rapid LED. I chose Rapid LED PAR 38's over Boost led because of two more led's and the different color leds mixed in the bulb. I did not go with the Aqua Styles because I didnt want to risk the cash then have the fixtures burn out in a short period of time. I also wasnt sure of the color the Aqua Styles produced. Now I have to get this build going because I want to see the new bulbs in action, and from what I have seen on this site, the bulbs look GREAT!!!

Going to a few LFS this afternoon to get some sand and anything else that catches my eye :)

THANKS FOR LOOKING!!

Well my 4 Rapid LED PAR 38's came in Saturday which was wayyyy faster than I expected since I ordered them on Thursday. I held one lamp over my nanocube 28 and the color and shimmer looked GREAT. I cant wait to get these over the 45 long. My stand is coming along...I should be able to finish it up this weekend (I hope). thanks for looking

Well my 4 Rapid LED PAR 38's came in Saturday which was wayyyy faster than I expected since I ordered them on Thursday. I held one lamp over my nanocube 28 and the color and shimmer looked GREAT. I cant wait to get these over the 45 long. My stand is coming along...I should be able to finish it up this weekend (I hope). thanks for looking

How do you plan on hanging the 4 PAR 38s?

How do you plan on hanging the 4 PAR 38s?

Im going to build a canopy that will hang about 6-10in. above the tank. The canopy will be attatched to the wall. I am going to have to find swiveling light sockets to mount inside the canopy.

Im going to build a canopy that will hang about 6-10in. above the tank. The canopy will be attatched to the wall. I am going to have to find swiveling light sockets to mount inside the canopy.

Nice.

DIY ftmfw

Happy thanksgiving

I just put an order in with MarineDepot's Black Friday sale:

JBJ auto topoff kit, marine depot pro refractometer, koralia 1050, and 2 mini jet pumps-one for the ATO and one for mixing saltwater. Cant wait...I feel like I have been ordering too many things lately but I figure what the hell, im going to do this one to the max :)

• 2 weeks later...
You'll LOVE the rapid's. I have 3 over my 40b and I'm really happy with them.

...come on...MORE PICTURES !!!!

:D

How's growth with those? Any issues with low lighting around the edges or anything?

Wish I could get this build done faste LEE LOL

Glad to hear that Mini, I held one over my nano cube 28 and the color of the bulb looks awesome.

Thanks Pismo :D

Thanks Shallow

Ayobreezie, I have not used these bulbs yet on this tank but I did hold one over my Nanocube 28g and the spread and intensity was pretty good, not as bright as my 150 Pheonix but the spotlighting makes the tank really look unique and natural i love it-oh and the shimmer is amazing!

Just started to lay out my sump, looks like I am going to have plenty of room for everything.

I will post pics when I start making the baffles for the sump-prob in the next couple of days. The house remodel has put this tank in the slow lane but when this things get back to normal I will be sure to speed it up.

Well the stand is almost done. The only thing left to do is get it in place against the wall where the tank is going and finish the trimwork. I havent had time to start on the sump yet, maybe work on it a little on Sat morning. Since the stand top does have some irregularities I bought some foam from Lowes to set the tank on, hope this works. I will have some pics to post in the next few days FINALLY!!!

This is a pic of the frame...It has now been skinned and the doors have been added, I will get an updated pic of the stand tonight.

2011-11-18090749.jpg

I have a par38 from rapidled and the color is amazing. Im currently setting up a 13 gallon cubish tank with one par38 with 80 degree optics. Im hoping the 80 deg optics allow enough light strength to grow SPS. My tank is only 12" deep though and shallow tanks should be easy to keep high PAR numbers. Looking forward to seeing your tank when its filled.

How's growth with those? Any issues with low lighting around the edges or anything?

I have 80 degree optics and with 3 there's no low light areas. Growth is amazing. :D

Dave, I'm sure the 80 degrees will be fine with the depth of our tanks.

Thanks Bear

Good to know Mini, cant wait to see the bulbs in action!!!

TMG- im looking forward to it as well, it seems like it is taking me forever to get this going-even though I have all of the equipment I need :lol:

Well I got the sump baffles installed yesterday WOOHOO FINALLY!!!

2011-12-08193820.jpg

Here is the stand (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics). The bottom will be trimmed out with base board moulding and crown moulding on the top to finish it off. I painted the stand to match the wall color so it looked "built in" to the wall. Since the stand came out pretty good my girlfriend wants the tank in the living room :lol:

2011-12-08194015.jpg

2011-12-08193958.jpg

Look what else I got to put in the living room

2011-11-28181026.jpg

Why I have had no time to get this tank going-Almost finished!!!!

2011-12-06190433.jpg

Thanks Bear!

Lee, thats funny!!! it was alot of work but I think it came out nice.

Mitch, A pico would be great by the sink but I dont think it will happen LOL.

Archived