inTank Media Baskets

Micro-Reefs LLC

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I would like to have something basic with the bulk head sizes drilled in already, but I would like to keep it simple so as to keep cost down, the more that is added in by us, the higher the design will be.

I would like to keep it simple and affordable.

Perhaps it will be 5 gallon dimensions with what size bulk head would you like to use? The standard? Also remember that acrylic tanks will not be rimless, they need the structural support on the sides, will that hamper this concept?

My guess is to use the 1/2" holes for bulkheads. I think folks may want to have an HOB filter for the Fuge. I know I would, so the rim would have to allow for that. Couldn't you use a smaller tank and keep it rimless? Say a 3.5 gallon tank? Something like 12" x 8" x 8" ?

I'm curious though, why put the fuge above the tank? I can understand that for already existing tanks, you'd need to do so, but if this is going into production for people who don't already have a tank, why not just do it the traditional way?

And yea there definitely are pico skimmers, but the aquatic life skimmer and the tunze 9002 are about as small as they get when it comes to venturi powered ones. At least as far as I know of. There's also glazer's pico counter current skimmer run by an air pump and limewood airstone. But I feel like a skimmer wouldn't really be necessary to run a pico since carbon would be more than enough filtration and the amount of carbon that's required for that little water volume would be ridiculously small. I would opt for designing some type of pico reactor and focus on ease of maintenance to make sure people actually replace the carbon periodically.

Haha pico sumps...now this is getting interesting.. :lol:

There a number of good reasons for keeping the Fuge above:

1. Mike could sell these as "add-on's" to existing tanks. That way people don't have to drill their existing tanks-- and a siphon overflow for a below sump becomes too complicated and/or expensive and MOST of all-- too risky.

2. Pods don't travel through the sump pump to get to the DT.

3. Simple setup to add fresh saltwater. Just use existing pump and flip the valve.

4. Add the HOB filter to the Fuge to help clean water.

Now, OTOH, if someone wanted a full sump, then they could purchase a pre-drilled tank, install the bulkhead and overflow, and then add a below sump, with a Pico reactor or carbon chamber, maybe Pico skimmer, maybe a fuge, etc. and of course the ATO would certainly work in the sump as well.

At least that's my thinking...

Edited by chippwalters

Chip,

One flaw I do see with your design is the placement/use of the return pump. Those types of pumps are not designed to suck water, but rather push water. The way you are sketched it, the pump would not be properly primed and will not work correctly, especially after a power outage. If you were to remove the freshwater reserve section, it should work fine once primed.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Chip,

Even my smallest pico which is 9x6x7 at 1.6 gallons of water is not rimless. I will take a picture of it and the 3 gallon, the tops so you can see the reinforced structure for acrylic tanks.

It's not a lot, and the back allows for full support of the AC 50.

So I could design the 5 gallon dimensions with the 1/2 holes on each side. That is a simple design and I could get a quote on that from TruVu.

MG

One flaw I do see with your design is the placement/use of the return pump. Those types of pumps are not designed to suck water, but rather push water. The way you are sketched it, the pump would not be properly primed and will not work correctly, especially after a power outage. If you were to remove the freshwater reserve section, it should work fine once primed.

I'm not sure I understand "remove freshwater reserve section." Perhaps you can elaborate? BTW, much of this design came from THIS THREAD.

Chip,

Even my smallest pico which is 9x6x7 at 1.6 gallons of water is not rimless. I will take a picture of it and the 3 gallon, the tops so you can see the reinforced structure for acrylic tanks.

It's not a lot, and the back allows for full support of the AC 50.

So I could design the 5 gallon dimensions with the 1/2 holes on each side. That is a simple design and I could get a quote on that from TruVu.

MG

Mike,

I've ordered the bulkheads and other parts necessary and I'll fire you a more detailed spec when they come in. Then you can quote me on what it will cost to build the tank as described. Thanks.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I'm not sure I understand "remove freshwater reserve section." Perhaps you can elaborate? BTW, much of this design came from THIS THREAD.

Mike,

I've ordered the bulkheads and other parts necessary and I'll fire you a more detailed spec when they come in. Then you can quote me on what it will cost to build the tank as described. Thanks.

Sounds good,

The bulk holes can be cut into the acrylic pre-made by TruVu and you just screw the bulkheads in with all the piping.

All we need for the quote are actual dims plus a picture of where the holes need to be set.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I was wondering if there was any progress on the CW tank

Jbowser

Yes,

I do apologize about an update, I was going to report on it this week but got really busy. What I've been doing has been monitoring the ambient temps of my room + outside of house and the actual tank itself.

With 2 gallon volume of SW with AC 20, I have the chiller set at 55.5 degrees. With this setting the chiller has fluctuated from 55.5 to 59.0 while having my room move from 60 degrees in the night to about 71 degrees during the day.

So, what does this mean?

It means that I'm a little scared about how it will perform if my room gets to 85 degrees and I'm trying to keep the tank at 55 degrees.

My room that has this tank is on the second floor of my house and faces the Sun. It gets rather warm and hot during the summer.

So I would like to market the CW tank to be placed in a room that is stays at about 60-77 degrees.

This pico is set to run Monterrey specimens 55.5 degrees... But it looks like it's turning out to run Southern CA specimens which do great at the higher degrees of upper 50's lets say 59 degrees or up to 65 degrees.

If that's the case, this Cool Works Micro-Chiller will work.

If I still want the Monterrey specimens to work, I might need to market the chiller on my 1.6 smallest pico.

I have not placed any specimens in the tank except the live sand that was in my warm water pico, CW algae has been covering the sand, diatoms I believe but they are of the cold water variety.

My license to collect is not good until January 1, 2012, so I'm almost there.

Mike Guerrero

Edited by mikeguerrero

Can you tell us more about which AC filters will physically fit in the slots for each of the 1-2-3 gallon acrylic tanks? I know that you give recommendations, but some may want to bump up a size or two on the filter for increased flow, fuge in filter, etc...

i.e.:

1 gallon will physically accept AC 20 and AC 30

2 gallon will physically accept only AC 30

etc...

thanks,

Jared

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Can you tell us more about which AC filters will physically fit in the slots for each of the 1-2-3 gallon acrylic tanks? I know that you give recommendations, but some may want to bump up a size or two on the filter for increased flow, fuge in filter, etc...

i.e.:

1 gallon will physically accept AC 20 and AC 30

2 gallon will physically accept only AC 30

etc...

thanks,

Jared

Tank sizes to filter size:

1.6 gallon micro-reef should be used with the AC20

2 gallon micro-reef can be used with the AC20 or AC30 (Lesser current vs Greater current)

3 gallon micro-reef can be used with the AC 30 0r AC50 (Lesser current vs Greater current)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Update,

I got back two quotes from TruVu regarding the Fuge that has been asked to be created:

16x8x8 Clear Rimless Tank w/2 Holes Drilled $142.50. Tank is 4.4 gallons and rimless.

or (Your pick, display will not have holes drilled only the fuge.)

16x8x8 Black Back Rimless Tank w/2 Holes Drilled $150. Tank is 4.4 gallon and rimless

I sent TruVu these pics, so the tank will have this design only it will be in Acrylic.

ipqgcl.jpg

r1ikye.jpg

Thanks,

Edited by mikeguerrero

Hi Mike,

I really like your website and the products that you offer your advance 2g packages in particular. I was wondering if you could make custom package like this with a different light or offer it without the light so I could make my own. I would like a more powerful light. I have a few LED array designs that I think would offer enough light for hard corals and they only cost about $60 to make retail.

Thanks in advance

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Hi Mike,

I really like your website and the products that you offer your advance 2g packages in particular. I was wondering if you could make custom package like this with a different light or offer it without the light so I could make my own. I would like a more powerful light. I have a few LED array designs that I think would offer enough light for hard corals and they only cost about $60 to make retail.

Thanks in advance

Absolutely,

Light fixtures were hard to find at the dimensions of the 2 gallon at the time I started the business. Now it's very different.

I can remove the light from the the price of the package so you could save and find your own light.

If that is the case, just contact us on our website and let us know you would like a quote on a certain package deal minus the particular light that is being sold.

Hope this helps out.

Mike G.

chippwalters
Update,

I got back two quotes from TruVu regarding the Fuge that has been asked to be created:

6x8x8 Clear Rimless Tank w/2 Holes Drilled $142.50. Tank is 4.4 gallons and rimless.

or (Your pick, display will not have holes drilled only the fuge.)

16x8x8 Black Back Rimless Tank w/2 Holes Drilled $150. Tank is 4.4 gallon and rimless

I sent TruVu these pics, so the tank will have this design only it will be in Acrylic.

ipqgcl.jpg

r1ikye.jpg

Thanks,

Thanks Mike,

I think your numbers are off, the 6x8x8 tank is only 1.7 gallons. Perhaps the first one is 16 x 8 x 8?

Is this the price for a single tank or two tanks?

I'm still waiting for the bulkheads to arrive. The price you quoted seems a bit expensive for a single tank, though maybe with a bit smaller dimensions it might be better. I don't have a problem drilling my own holes...is it possible to use one of your off the shelf acrylic tanks for this? Just wondering.

Anyway, I should have the bulkheads by tomorrow. I'll draw up a final document for you. Is it better to correspond publicly or privately?

Edited by chippwalters
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Thanks Mike,

I think your numbers are off, the 6x8x8 tank is only 1.7 gallons. Perhaps the first one is 16 x 8 x 8?

Is this the price for a single tank or two tanks?

I'm still waiting for the bulkheads to arrive. The price you quoted seems a bit expensive for a single tank, though maybe with a bit smaller dimensions it might be better. I don't have a problem drilling my own holes...is it possible to use one of your off the shelf acrylic tanks for this? Just wondering.

Anyway, I should have the bulkheads by tomorrow. I'll draw up a final document for you. Is it better to correspond publicly or privately?

Hey,

I spoke to TruVu and the quote is for one tank. This project will not fly, I'm sorry.

However, having said that, why not use one of my tanks already sitting in my warehouse?

Since it is acrylic, you guys/gals can drill the tank with a hole saw, very easy and the tanks on hand are cheaper.

Just my two cents....

Edited by mikeguerrero
chippwalters
Hey,

I spoke to TruVu and the quote is for one tank. This project will not fly, I'm sorry.

However, having said that, why not use one of my tanks already sitting in my warehouse?

Since it is acrylic, you guys/gals can drill the tank with a hole saw, very easy and the tanks on hand are cheaper.

Just my two cents....

Here's the sketch. Do you have a tank somewhere close to these dimensions?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a tank on your site and ordered it. Any chance of an all clear tank, or do they HAVE to have a back color?

tank.jpg

Edited by chippwalters
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi all,

Wanted to introduce a new family member to Micro-Reefs LLC. The 24L x 10W X 10H is joining our stock of tanks. He weighs in at 10.38 gallons of H20 for you to play with.... ;)

Here are the first pics of him, as I brought him home.... He is not camera shy at all.... :P

For scale, 10 gallon in the back, 8 gallon in middle and 4 gallon in the front...

mbn7mv.jpg

For scale, 10 gallon on left, 8 gallon in middle and 4 gallon on right...

11mc08o.jpg

Here he is with his 96 watt T5 fixture... B)

20faq1h.jpg

Can we see what's under the hood, nice!!! :o

4glvro.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
very nice, you get superb tanks made for your business. no fish jumping through these suckers :)

Newman,

Thanks for the compliment on our design tanks...

Does it make a difference that our tanks are hand crafted by TruVu aquariums? Does it matter that my tanks are more expensive than other acrylic companies out there?

Absolutely, but you are getting the oldest Acrylic company making aquariums in the UNITED STATES, they have been around since the 70's.... That says something... and it means these tanks stand up to time....

I work personally with the owner and he's a great person, someone that understands quality and good customer service....

So, where do these tanks go? I am grateful to name some of the states, Oregon, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland and let's not forget just a few from our home state California....

East Coast,,,,, I LOVE YOU GUYS/GALS...... ;)

Wow that 8g :wub:

My younger brother wants me to send him out the 8 gallon shallow, that's the one in the middle.... He's crazy about the design, wants that shallow look in his home....

Wonder what he will do with the 2 gallon complete kit I gave him for this Birthday? :angry:

Edited by mikeguerrero

Truvu is awesome. Mike, you know the 100g pennisula tank at Atlantis is a Truvu, Joleen had it for years (not sure #, but a while), for various different setups, and it's still looking great!

My younger brother wants me to send him out the 8 gallon shallow, that's the one in the middle.... He's crazy about the design, wants that shallow look in his home....

Wonder what he will do with the 2 gallon complete kit I gave him for this Birthday? :angry:

Hahaha :lol: You can never have too many tanks! Shallow tanks look great

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
omgomgomg

Got my shipping info today for my 8g . Cant wait.

Didn't you see your tank in the picture above, it's in the middle and Yoshi tried to take it.... :) I went down to TruVu and picked up those three tanks you see in the picture...

One is headed to Oregon, California and yours to the Lone Star....

Thanks for being a customer to Micro-Reefs LLC.... We really appreciate you selected us, for your design... :)

Edited by mikeguerrero