Pod Your Reef

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

OMG! I love sea life Inc!!! I adore my last sea life order, my rics looks awesome and the blue/yellow zoas are stunning!

I need one of those starfish when I upgrade.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love all the new stuff!!!!! I don't remember Danielle's porcelain crab being that blue????? Love that blue. Mark needs that blue for his tank ;)

How's the birthday kitty? Give her a scratch behind the ears and under the chin from her no. 1 fan :happy:

Spirofucci
Love all the new stuff!!!!! I don't remember Danielle's porcelain crab being that blue????? Love that blue. Mark needs that blue for his tank ;)

How's the birthday kitty? Give her a scratch behind the ears and under the chin from her no. 1 fan :happy:

Ha ha, Gena, how true. Would those guys get along with a few big hermits???

Awesome on the fragging sorry I have been MIA.

Tell Lilly Happy Belated Birthday, she is such a pretty kitty! :happy:

Goad all is going well!

Lily says thank you for the birthday wishes from everyone! :) Gena, I'll give her a scratch for you when I get home later tonight :D

Lily1.jpg

OMG! I love sea life Inc!!! I adore my last sea life order, my rics looks awesome and the blue/yellow zoas are stunning!

I need one of those starfish when I upgrade.

Sealife Inc. is great. I've now had 2 very successful orders from them and have managed to get some gorgeous rics and lots of cool starfish. You should definitely look at their starfish when you upgrade!

All 3 of mine are the same shade of bright blue. They almost look fake. I wonder if you can buy the really blue ones somewhere or you just have to get lucky with hitchhikers.

Ha ha, Gena, how true. Would those guys get along with a few big hermits???

I have tons of hermits, including several that have gotten huge and kind of mean. They seem to completely ignore the porcelain crabs though. And the porcelain crabs can get away easily if needed since they can squeeze in tiny crevices that the hermits can't get into with their shells.

Awesome on the fragging sorry I have been MIA.

Tell Lilly Happy Belated Birthday, she is such a pretty kitty! :happy:

Goad all is going well!

You have a good reason for being MIA! I hope your back starts to feel better soon and that they get you a rental car for the time being. I'm sorry you had some tank issues, but it sounds like you're out of the woods now. Just hang in there and I'm sure everything will bounce back beautifully :)

Time for more updates on the new starfish. When the starfish arrived, they were both moving around in their bags and then I spent an hour and a half slowly acclimating them before adding them to the tank. I decided to set them on the frag rack so that the hermits and stuff wouldn't bother them until they climbed onto the glass. Well as soon as I put in the tiny one, it hurried right off the frag rack onto the glass but the big one just sat there feeling about with its little tubes on its arms. I figured it was just taking a bit to adjust to the new tank so I wasn't too worried. Then when I got home from school, it was still in exactly the same spot and was not moving at all. It was still in the same spot when I woke up this morning, so I assumed it had died or was dying. I e-mailed Sealife since they have a 24 hour survival guarantee. I then jumped in the shower and got ready for school, and by the time I went back out in the living room to leave for the day, the starfish had climbed up onto the glass and was moving around! Shew! So anyways, they both seem happy and healthy after that little scare and now some pictures of them:

The big starfish on the frag rack right after I added him to the tank.

IMG_0823.jpg

Both of the new starfish on the frag rack. You can see how tiny the little one is compared to the big one.

IMG_0826.jpg

The tiny one that Sealife Inc threw in as a freebie.

IMG_0830.jpg

surgicalsense
I LOVE the new starfish. They are honestly one of my favorite animals, and I'm surprised I managed to wait as long as I did before I started buying them for the tank. I now have 7 starfish :lol: If you make another Sealife order, you should definitely consider one. They seem to be totally fine with the 2 day shipping that's only $14, even all the way from Florida to California.

He still hasn't made an appearance? :( I somehow have 3 of them and I didn't purchase any of them. I guess they hitchhiked in at different times.

Mine probably moved into yours :lol: ... Oh will will totally consider the starfish. They are so neat and pretty.

Mine probably moved into yours :lol: ... Oh will will totally consider the starfish. They are so neat and pretty.

He must have hitchhiked his way from LA to my place so that he could hang out with the other 2 blue porcelain crabs. They're attempting to form a crab version of the Blue Man Group :lol:

surgicalsense

:wub:

Totally dig the signature!

He must have hitchhiked his way from LA to my place so that he could hang out with the other 2 blue porcelain crabs. They're attempting to form a crab version of the Blue Man Group :lol:

:lol: got that right

:wub:

Totally dig the signature!

Thanks, Danielle! I decided the new starfish was too cool not to have a spot in the sig. Want me to make you one since you don't have one right now? I'd just need a couple photos of your tank that you really like.

Spirofucci

Thanks for the response on the blue crabs! Now I want one!

Those star fishies are so purdy. Do they get big?

Also, love the new sig!!!!!!

Omg....Lily on the chair....too cute!!!!!!

Glad the big starfish decided to start a-moving!!!!!! That little one is so cute, and the big one is so pretty :) And I too LOVE your new sig :happy:

Thanks for the response on the blue crabs! Now I want one!

Those star fishies are so purdy. Do they get big?

Also, love the new sig!!!!!!

No problem. Maybe you can find somewhere online to order one. Sealife Inc's website said the common starfish can get up to 7" from leg tip to leg tip. That would be pretty big for my tank, so I'm just hoping he grows really slowly and if he does get that big I will find him a home in a bigger tank.

Sweet sig! I love those new stars. My next livestock order will definitely be SeaLife Inc.

Get some rics from there too! They're nice colors and you can't beat that they'll ship them priority.

Omg....Lily on the chair....too cute!!!!!!

Glad the big starfish decided to start a-moving!!!!!! That little one is so cute, and the big one is so pretty :) And I too LOVE your new sig :happy:

:lol: I'm glad you appreciate all the Lily pictures.

I'm glad the starfish finally started moving too! I was pretty much convinced he was dead or dying and I was getting pretty upset. I haven't seen the little one since I added it, but its so tiny I'm not surprised its hard to find. The big one just moves around on the glass in plain site.

I'm glad you guys like the new sig! I figured it was time to change it since I no longer have the starry blenny that was in the old one :( I think the new one turned out pretty good though. Gena, you realize the layout of my last two signatures have been based on yours right? Thanks for the inspiration!

In other news, I hadn't seen my pom pom crab in weeks. I even looked really closely for him at feeding time several days in a row and now a glimpse of him. I was getting worried about him again and then last night when I fed the tank he came marching right out to the front waving those little pom poms. Or well, they're not so little anymore. They obviously get well fed because he's got some big pom poms! :D

surgicalsense
Thanks, Danielle! I decided the new starfish was too cool not to have a spot in the sig. Want me to make you one since you don't have one right now? I'd just need a couple photos of your tank that you really like.

That would be awesome, thank you. Sorry I just read through and got this ... so I will tonight. Plus I still need to remind L about taking some new pictures tonight, too.

That would be awesome, thank you. Sorry I just read through and got this ... so I will tonight. Plus I still need to remind L about taking some new pictures tonight, too.

Ok great! Just e-mail me the photos so they're the full size files and I'll make it for you this weekend. My e-mail is felicia.svedlund@gmail.com.

You definitely should take some new pictures tonight since we're all dying to see a recent picture of the tank :)

surgicalsense
Ok great! Just e-mail me the photos so they're the full size files and I'll make it for you this weekend. My e-mail is felicia.svedlund@gmail.com.

You definitely should take some new pictures tonight since we're all dying to see a recent picture of the tank :)

I will. Once L sees me taking pictures, he will probably take over since mine are bad.

Oh look at that princess! A very Happy Birthday to Lily. How old is she?

The star looks really beautiful, what a great find and it looks awesome in your sig too.

She definitely is a little princess. Thanks for wishing her a Happy Birthday! She just turned 2, so she's still pretty young.

I'm glad you like the starfish and the sig. :) I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as colorful as it is since it was just a $7 "common" starfish. It was definitely a great find because it was only $22 with shipping which is about the same as what the local LFS's charge for fromia and linkia.

omgomgomg

:ninja:

Ok, so I'll let you guys in on what I've been up to. I've been itching to get another tank after seeing Gena's planted freshwater and the frag tank, but I just don't have space for anything very big. I decided that as long as I got something small enough to put on my desk and still leave some desk space for working (the 10 gallon used to take up my entire desk), I could get another tank. Then I've been thinking about what I could put in it for that last few weeks. I considered a freshwater planted or just a little pico reef, but then after seeing Alto's thread about dwarf seahorses, I really wanted to go that route.

Seahorses have always been one of my favorite sea creatures and one of my friend's family had a big reef tank in their house growing up that had several seahorses in it. They were my favorite thing to watch when I got to see their tank. I've looked into starting a seahorse tank several times over the years, but they're kind of an advanced care level. After having my reef tank for 10 months now, I think I know enough to try a dwarf seahorse tank.

The plan is to cycle the tank for several weeks, then add macro algae and some snails, and then add ~6 seahorses. Prior to getting the seahorses, I need to set-up my system for hatching and enriching brine shrimp to feed them daily.

So anyways, I decided to go pick up the tank this afternoon and get it cycling while I figure out what all I need to order. I ended up settling on the 3 gallon JBJ Picotope. I added ~4 lbs of live sand and already made my scape with a couple pounds of dry rock left over from the 30 gallon. I plan to clean up my old AC20 and use that for filtration instead of the little filter that comes with the Picotope. I'll be adding water to the tank later this evening, but here's a picture of the scape before I cause a sandstorm:

IMG_0833.jpg

The picture isn't the best with all the reflections, but its kind of a little arch/cove thing to the back left and then a separate island/spire towards the front right.

Here's how my desk looks now:

IMG_0835-1.jpg

I'll have to start a separate thread for this tank :D

I <3 Seahorses! Can't wait :D I was ogling PiCO aquarium's dwarf seahorse tank, but I don't have time for two! :(

Archived