Cultivated Reef

Ballz' Reef

iball1804

It's definitely not diatoms at all. They never came. (I used this rock from another cycled tank of mine). It's not cyano, or anything else I know.

How can stirring it be bad?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's definitely not diatoms at all. They never came. (I used this rock from another cycled tank of mine). It's not cyano, or anything else I know.

How can stirring it be bad?

It can release trapped gasses that are poisonous. Would kill your tank. With all DSB tanks they say don't stir anything but the very surface as this can happen. Your CUC is supposed to be the only one digging around in the sand.

I have heard the exact opposite.

With DSB, detritus eventually finds its way deep down, decomposes, and creates some poisonous gas. With a shallow sand bottom the detritus decomposes safely.

If you have sand stirring CUC you shouldn't have to stir the sand either way. I just try to not touch the sand bed other then clean the surface when I do the WC and let the snails do the rest.

I've got one or two Nassarius that stir, but not too often. I every now and then stir the top. It just exposes the whiter bottom, and covers the nasty top.

Oh, I've got 5 gallons of distilled and the new Coralife Marine Salt brewing! Tomorrow is the water change.

How long do you guys let your salt mix? I've got a little powerhead and a nice heater in the mix as well.

Usually let it mix twenty four hours or so, just to get the temp. right and make sure the salt has disolved all the way. Good luck! It seems after every water change I do, no matter how often, everything in my tank looks tons better. Except my xenia, it likes dirty water. :P I don't think the problem is flow. Honestly he has more flow than a lot of tanks I know, and about the same as I do. The water change should help and you might want to think about adding more hermit crabs. Once I added more my sand bed stayed a lot cleaner.

Oh, and PUT MORE CORAL IN IT!!! :D

Yeah I'll wait til tomorrow for the water change.

On a side note, I got a little betta bowl for my little brother for Christmas!

Mmmmm RIMLESS + LEDs

Yes! Your tank looks great btw.

Get some hermit crabs, they will clean the sand right up.

Really? I had some and they did absolutely nothing. :mellow:

Water change has been complete! omgomgomg

I'd say it was somewhere around a 70% change. All with distiller water and my new salt. All my corals are opening, slowly slowly.

Archived