Coral Vue Hydros

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral
I love hitchhikers. I got some aptasia on my last LR, but I also got some really cool sponges and polyps and other things. Honestly the best LR I've seen is at that lfs in glen Bernie. It's crazy looking. You could get 1 10lbs rock and seed your whole aquarium with just that.

Good luck man. I think we are all impatiently awaiting the launch of this.

I think we are all impatiently awaiting the launch of this.... As am I. Screw it.. ijust ordered 100Lbs of rock as well as 160Lbs of sand!! I am waiting on the tracking number right now but its done! It should be around a week...I Hope! Anyway... Lets get this BI@#H started!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral

I only had a small window to work with today so here is what I did with it. I basicaly put everything in the sump and to see how it all looked.

Sump layout

SumpSetup.jpg

Reef Octopus OCTX-200XS

ReefOctopusOCTX-200XS.jpg

saltwatercoral
looking great! that sump looks nice and organized and ready for action!

Thanks! Should I have the Protein Skimmer and the Phosphate reactor running while I’m cycling?

saltwatercoral
Keep the skimmer off since it would be depleting the water of organic material which would be beneficial in cycling.

Thanks!

Just a few more questions...

1). When should I turn the skimmer on?

2). Should the phosphate reactor be on for cycling?

Can't wait to get this thing Rollin!

I wouldn't run the phos reactor... But that's just me... I would start the skimmer right after your cycle and first water change. Since you are using a bunch of dry rock I think you want as much funk in your water to strengthen your bio filter as much as posable

I wouldn't run the phos reactor... But that's just me... I would start the skimmer right after your cycle and first water change. Since you are using a bunch of dry rock I think you want as much funk in your water to strengthen your bio filter as much as posable

+1, Save the phosphate reactor until the tank cycles. Love the setup! What livestock are you planning on putting in here? So many options...

saltwatercoral
+1, Save the phosphate reactor until the tank cycles. Love the setup! What livestock are you planning on putting in here? So many options...

Im planning on putting losts of different types of Chalice. Love that coral. Also some favias, acan lords,Birds Nests... Basicaly lots of stuff thats going to POP in color! for fish... maybe a pair of clowns, yellow and blue tang, few yellow tail blue damsels and a manderin. I know I need to wait a while for the manderin so I can get my tank up to par for the little guy.

What do you guys think?

Im planning on putting losts of different types of Chalice. Love that coral. Also some favias, acan lords,Birds Nests... Basicaly lots of stuff thats going to POP in color! for fish... maybe a pair of clowns, yellow and blue tang, few yellow tail blue damsels and a manderin. I know I need to wait a while for the manderin so I can get my tank up to par for the little guy.

What do you guys think?

sounds like a plan! love the corals that pop... but get a duncan too! :lol:

i guess in my mind i would skip the tangs and add a bunch more smaller fish. but thats just me.

cant wait SWC!

saltwatercoral
sounds like a plan! love the corals that pop... but get a duncan too! :lol:

i guess in my mind i would skip the tangs and add a bunch more smaller fish. but thats just me.

cant wait SWC!

I heard that the Tangs can be aggressive. What smaller reef safe fish would you recommend? If I were to stick with smaller fish, how many would you think I can get? My PS is a beast so I think that would help clean the junk out!

Also, does anyone know if it's normall not to receive a tracking number from marcorocks? I ordered this I believe Saturday but have not received a tracking number yet. I did receive a recipt saying it's been approved and will be shipped though.

Gotta have a couple tangs if your doin a reef that big IMO. I just love tangs tho...5 or 6 chromis would be cool too since there a schooling fish and always swim together, they add natural character to the reef IMO.

saltwatercoral
Gotta have a couple tangs if your doin a reef that big IMO. I just love tangs tho...5 or 6 chromis would be cool too since there a schooling fish and always swim together, they add natural character to the reef IMO.

Sounds nice!

Should I introduce all the fish at the same time so they wont be so teritorial or a few at a time?

Fish list (still work in progress):

1 Lipstick or Naso Tangs

1 Yellow Belly Hippo Tang

2 Clowns

1 Manderin (waiting untill tank is fully established)

6 Blue Green Chromis

1 Melanurus Fairy Wrasse

1 Goby (not to sure on type)

Invert List:

1 pistol shrimp

3-4 Maxima's

1 Blue Linckia Starfish

1 Orange Linckia Starfish

1 Purple Linckia Star

Variety of Hermits

Variety of Shrimp

Variety of Snails

Any sugestions or ideas on the list?

you are going to want to add fish slowly just cause your bio filter wont be ready for all the fish at once.

i would start with the least mean fish first and let the sweet fish find safe homes before adding anything that could be mean. the last thing you want is a territorial fish in the tank when you add a sweet little fish that hasn't found a safe spot/home yet

saltwatercoral
you are going to want to add fish slowly just cause your bio filter wont be ready for all the fish at once.

i would start with the least mean fish first and let the sweet fish find safe homes before adding anything that could be mean. the last thing you want is a territorial fish in the tank when you add a sweet little fish that hasn't found a safe spot/home yet

So the Lipstick Tang and Yellow Belly Hippo Tang last? I think they are the most agresive ...

I don't know what lipstick tang is but basically I'd advice you not to get anything from Naso genus for a tank "that small". Otherwise I like your fish-list a lot! :)

EDIT: Quote from the internets:

"This species really only does well in systems that allow it to move, and grow... Of at least some six feet/two meters in length. Specimens attempted in smaller/shorter settings often "die mysteriously"... "

saltwatercoral
I don't know what lipstick tang is but basically I'd advice you not to get anything from Naso genus for a tank "that small". Otherwise I like your fish-list a lot! :)

EDIT: Quote from the internets:

"This species really only does well in systems that allow it to move, and grow... Of at least some six feet/two meters in length. Specimens attempted in smaller/shorter settings often "die mysteriously"... "

I thought I might have been pushing it with those 2 tangs... I think I will sub those 2 for a Powder Blue Tang. more room for 1 tang as well.

Would a Powder Blue Tang and a yellow tang play well together as long as they are introuduced at the same time? If not then I def want the Powder Blue Tang over the yellow.

With tangs I don't think anyone could/should make hard promises on whether certain combinations would work out as these fish really are individuals.

But personally I would feel pretty comfortable adding those 2 at the same time if they both would be same size (small-ish).

saltwatercoral
With tangs I don't think anyone could/should make hard promises on whether certain combinations would work out as these fish really are individuals.

But personally I would feel pretty comfortable adding those 2 at the same time if they both would be same size (small-ish).

Thanks for the advice! I'll get them both at the same time and small ones!

redwhiteandblue

your stock list sounds sweet.

i want chromis as well, but have heard they pick each other off eventually.

tangs....yellow are pretty fun to watch, and i like the powder brown over the powder blue.

naso...way too big, and the hippo, very pretty, but my 72" tank is pushing the limits....i originally wanted one, but am reconsidering.

for small fish.....clowns are hard to beat. six line for cleanup, yellow watchman gobys are awesome and full of character and go well with a pistol. cardinal fish are cool looking. always loved the royal gramma and firefish. and if your brave, the smaller angels are hard to beat in the color game...i.e. flame angel, coral beauty....etc.

mandarins....well i have one now. but i have a crazy amount of pods for a newer tank. i also stocked it with a thousand from the getgo and let them flourish for two months. i have had the wrasse and mandarin for 2 weeks and the pods are still increasing by the day.

and +1 on the duncan. they grow fast and look awesome, plus there fun to feed. very quick to grab a big hunk of food.

saltwatercoral
Jason goes to the delmarva, fl, and nj/ny frag swaps. Thats probably best time for him.

Alright, thanks for the help. If NJ is where I need to go to get his Chalice then NJ is where I am going to go!

Archived