ReefCleaners.org

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

I think you would be fine without lights for a little while... Just don't add any corals and the like. I don't think the bio filter needs light...plus you might not get as much algae as I did ... I refused to have my tanks lights off during the cycle a grew a nice Gha garden.

I can understand not setting it up before going on a cruise... You need o be around to make sure everything is working and that there are no leaks..

We all can't wait... Have fun on the cruise

Ez

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral
I think you would be fine without lights for a little while... Just don't add any corals and the like. I don't think the bio filter needs light...plus you might not get as much algae as I did ... I refused to have my tanks lights off during the cycle a grew a nice Gha garden.

I can understand not setting it up before going on a cruise... You need o be around to make sure everything is working and that there are no leaks..

We all can't wait... Have fun on the cruise

Ez

The filter is not going to have the light on. It's only going to be on when I'm underneath doing Somthin. So I think I am going to get the tank going before I actualy get the lights then. It seams from everyones input that they are not needed to cycle the tank.

Alright off to the cruise! Thanks EZ for the info!

• 2 weeks later...
saltwatercoral

I am back and want to get thigs rollin on my tank! My week is looking booked already as it is my first week back. On a side note I am going to be posting just a few PICS of my reef snorkeling at the Bahamas! It was incredible! The only bad thing is I almost blew out my left eardrum when trying to dive. I have had operations when I was younger and for this reason cannot get scuba certified so I can only go down about 10 feet before my ears feel like they are going to explode. Needless to say that I pushed the limits and almost paid dearly for it. The docs checked it out and said that It was so inflamed that they were surprised it didn’t blow. I’m taking meds now to help the inflammation and hopefully soon I can hear normally again! My first thing to do this week is brace the floor for this 1500LB MONSTER before I can start to even water test it. After the bracing is done then I am doing the plumbing an d then... THE LEAK TEST :o

saltwatercoral

Just did another quick check with AI about the Phoenix lights and they said that now they are looking at early next year for the lights to be released... Should I still start to cycle my tank or wait a few mor weeks till we get closer to the release date?

I want to start but on the same hand I dont want 1,2,3.. months to go by and still have no lights.

That sucks SWC!

not really sure what to tell you. it would drive me crazy to have that sweet tank up and running without lights for 3 months

they need to get those lights out to you... have you considered different lighting? (radion, ect ) or are you stuck on the phoenix?

saltwatercoral
totally understandable... wouldn't my anything AI myself =)

+1000000000000000000000... I think u get the point. I love Aqua Illumination and def am sticking with there Phoenix but the wait is killin me.

If I start my tank soon, and it finishes cycling, would not having lights do anything different to the tank or would it be ok? I wouldnt put anything it except for a CUC and maybe a small fish.

+1000000000000000000000... I think u get the point. I love Aqua Illumination and def am sticking with there Phoenix but the wait is killin me.

If I start my tank soon, and it finishes cycling, would not having lights do anything different to the tank or would it be ok? I wouldnt put anything it except for a CUC and maybe a small fish.

You'd be fine without lights. It'll basically just be a FOWLR tank until your phoenix units come in.

saltwatercoral

Sounds like im still going to stay on track with next phases then... Stay tuned!

PS: My wife was bugging me to get the drywall, mudding and sanding done, and now thats its done I need to paint and then put the tank in its final place. But now she is draggin her feet with the color of paint... I told her that she has till the end of the week to pick a color or she will be walking in to a color that I pick, LOL

saltwatercoral

Now another question...

Since I have time to kill before the lights are even available... I dont like the idea of hetting bad Hitchhickers on the LR so can I do about 120 of DR and dose with diff things to jump start the cycle? This way I know takes longer but Im also thingking its safter and less $ as well.

Comments?

I believe some people dose some kind of pure ammonia or something like that... i would check into that

personally i would use some live sand and some dry sand and a few clean pieces of LR to seed the dry rock and add a little fish food to the tank and slowly start the cycle and strengthen the bio filter

redwhiteandblue

SWC,

If it were me (i waited on funds before i had light). i would def use dry rock! i did and i am very satisfied with it. it cost 1/4 the price, you can aquascape on a work bench to your likes/ dislikes. No pests. just leaching phosphates later on during cycle. my BRS rock did this anyway. i used 35 lbs pukani, 55 "reefsaver" and 10 tonga branch. you could do 100 lbs of pukani for around 300$ and call it a day. plus, have ample time to cycle the rock before lighting.

if i could do it again i would order all pukani. this stuff is so porus youll think its gonna float away

all i used to jump start mine was 15 lbs live sand out of 120lbs, a pound or two of live rock from my nano, and some nasty month of filter floss in the sump. here 3 months later i have a metric $H!T ton of pods, and a fair amount of corraline on my backglass.

hit me up for any questions on dry rock.

saltwatercoral
SWC,

If it were me (i waited on funds before i had light). i would def use dry rock! i did and i am very satisfied with it. it cost 1/4 the price, you can aquascape on a work bench to your likes/ dislikes. No pests. just leaching phosphates later on during cycle. my BRS rock did this anyway. i used 35 lbs pukani, 55 "reefsaver" and 10 tonga branch. you could do 100 lbs of pukani for around 300$ and call it a day. plus, have ample time to cycle the rock before lighting.

if i could do it again i would order all pukani. this stuff is so porus youll think its gonna float away

all i used to jump start mine was 15 lbs live sand out of 120lbs, a pound or two of live rock from my nano, and some nasty month of filter floss in the sump. here 3 months later i have a metric $H!T ton of pods, and a fair amount of corraline on my backglass.

hit me up for any questions on dry rock.

Thats good to know about the "pukani" rock! I was actualy looking into getting 100lbs of Marcorocks and seeding it with maybe 10-20 more pounds of live rock from my lfs.

I was also thinking about getting 160lbs of there Bahama Aragonite sand with the course grain. For the pice I am looking at the 100lbs of rock and 160lbs of sand for a total of $320 Shipped!

Does the obove sound like a good deal? I heard there Customer Service is not the best but, I dont care about that when the price is that good!

saltwatercoral
vortecs

LOL thanks. I decided that 2 MP40's with wireless woudl rund a pretty penny (lots of pretty pennys) So I decided the get 2 of the Koralia 1400 gph Wave Pump's and they are made to do the same exact thing when used with the KeepKeeper elite with net. This way I still have the same functions but not the same price. I was going to get the Reefkeeper anyway so this made my desition much easier!

saltwatercoral

As far as the lights go I am just going to play the waiting game. If I decide to get somthing to light the tank for $30 I cant beat that. If the tank finishes it cycle before the lights come in then I will get the cheap lights. But Im savin the $ since I have the time by going with the 100lbs of BR (Real nice lookin rock might I add) and I am just going to seed it with about 10-20lbs of live rock. It will also cut down the risk of other unwanted hitchikers as well :D

I love hitchhikers. I got some aptasia on my last LR, but I also got some really cool sponges and polyps and other things. Honestly the best LR I've seen is at that lfs in glen Bernie. It's crazy looking. You could get 1 10lbs rock and seed your whole aquarium with just that.

Good luck man. I think we are all impatiently awaiting the launch of this.

Archived