Cultivated Reef

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral
:happy: great up dates! Love the monti the most. So their a tiny crab living in it?

Thanks surgicalsence! The LA Lakers Scroll coral has 2 small acro crabs in it! Its def cool to see!

SPScrab1.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral
Quick question.

100g display, 25g sump, how many lbs of live rock?

Are you asking about my setup or yours? If mine I have 120g display, 30+g sump and about 100lbs of live rock.

If yours, go with 75-100lbs of live rock.

I started off with base/dry rock and it seeded it with about 30lbs of live rock.

saltwatercoral
Stop buying coral and setup your controller.

JMO

LOL tis true, about setting the contoller up! Corals will always be ariving in this tank!

saltwatercoral
Or sell your controller and buy more coral!! :haha:

Man... I cant imagine what an extra $700 worth of coral in my tank would look like!!! :o:D But I need to get my controller hooked up and working so I dont kill everything.

I just finished setting up my controller last night, do it, do it now.

It really makes a difference. I got everything setup and logging then 2 more "advanced" things up and running.

Temp control.

If heat gets above 79.0 then heaters (both) turn off.

If heat gets to 81 then the lights turn off.

If heat gets to 82 then MP10 (1 soon to be 2) turn off.

Maintenance.

With 1 touch of on my iphone everything that I need off to do a water change switches to off(skimmer/return pump/heaters/ato/skimmer

When I click it back on after the water change all goes back on except for the skimmer which is delayed 7 mins to prevent any sump overflow while levels even back off.

I'm posting these 2 scenarios to motivate you to get it all setup. Controllers are wonderful!

If heat gets to 82 then MP10 (1 soon to be 2) turn off.

I would say that's a definite case of "NO NO"!

Vortech has outside unit so any heat transfer to tank itself is very limited. Also proper water circulation is the key in oxygenation of water and in heat dissipation. Good surface agitation both increases the gas transfer (CO2 <--> O) and increases evaporation which very effectively cools down the tank.

Instead of killing the streams I'd try to get a fan to blow over the surface to increase this evaporation. Smaller fans are notorious for their noise levels, but for this application they work as a perfect backup.

As a reference point I managed to get my tank keep 2 whole degrees below ambient room temperature a few years back.

saltwatercoral
Good point, well taken. Looks like I am going to need another EB8 soon.

See the stuff you can do saltwatercoral!

Tis true. I just need to run a line to My router to get Internet signal so I can program this thing! What software did you use to configure this ReefKeeper? I want to get this done tomorrow or Thursday.

saltwatercoral

As of the last few days the outside temp is getting warmer and the "wife" wants the windows open and the AC off... So the tank temp has been upper 79 degrees. Today it's better because it's not so hot but I need to get a chiller this weekend. I have found one that Coralife makes. Does anyone know anything about these? I don't have time to order any so I need to pick one up. Here is the link to the one that I am looking at.

As of the last few days the outside temp is getting warmer and the "wife" wants the windows open and the AC off... So the tank temp has been upper 79 degrees. Today it's better because it's not so hot but I need to get a chiller this weekend. I have found one that Coralife makes. Does anyone know anything about these? I don't have time to order any so I need to pick one up. Here is the link to the one that I am looking at.

Man put your 120g in your basement, mine is so steady no matter what. How are the clams doing?

A chiller might be necessary it may not.

It is a large investment, more connections, and an electric hog.

I would take these steps 1st.

*Get that controller setup to effectively turn your heaters on and off in a defined window.

*Use controller to pop fans on/off (sump or display) once a certain temp is reached to lessen heat when a certain tank temperature is reached.

*Use the controller to throttle down the Koralia 1400 gph if it has variable speeds to lessen heat when a certain tank temperature is reached.

*Replace the in tank Koralia 1400 with an Ecotech MP10 that keeps the heat on the outside of the glass.

*Measure the ambient temperatures around the tank over different periods to see how much cooling you have to do and if it is even feasible without going the last step of a chiller.

Summary

It would be my hopes that the controller you already bought, a simple fan setup ($20?) and replacing the Koralia with an MP10 ($280) would be the fix and comes well short of a near $600 chiller that will also increase your electric costs.

Or you may find out you need a 1.5deg plus dip in your tank temps to keep up with the ambient temperature in the room and have to go the route of a chiller?

Or you may have to convince your wife you need the house A/C on certain days times (unsure if you have window units, central, how many zones etc.)

saltwatercoral
Man put your 120g in your basement, mine is so steady no matter what. How are the clams doing?

I would if I could but I only have a crawl space for a basment... The crocea clam is doing great but the derasa is not doing so good i think... Its not opening fully anymore... I knew I was taking a chance with these clams but I hope it pulles through. I did notice my cleaner shrimp likes to wait till its open then try to peck at it. I hope he stops doing this and wont kill it! He only goes after the derasa and not the crocea though...

saltwatercoral
A chiller might be necessary it may not.

It is a large investment, more connections, and an electric hog.

I would take these steps 1st.

*Get that controller setup to effectively turn your heaters on and off in a defined window.

*Use controller to pop fans on/off (sump or display) once a certain temp is reached to lessen heat when a certain tank temperature is reached.

*Use the controller to throttle down the Koralia 1400 gph if it has variable speeds to lessen heat when a certain tank temperature is reached.

*Replace the in tank Koralia 1400 with an Ecotech MP10 that keeps the heat on the outside of the glass.

*Measure the ambient temperatures around the tank over different periods to see how much cooling you have to do and if it is even feasible without going the last step of a chiller.

Summary

It would be my hopes that the controller you already bought, a simple fan setup ($20?) and replacing the Koralia with an MP10 ($280) would be the fix and comes well short of a near $600 chiller that will also increase your electric costs.

Or you may find out you need a 1.5deg plus dip in your tank temps to keep up with the ambient temperature in the room and have to go the route of a chiller?

Or you may have to convince your wife you need the house A/C on certain days times (unsure if you have window units, central, how many zones etc.)

I will eventualy get another MP40wES on the tank, but it will stay for now. THe heaters automaticaly stay off after 77 degrees and a fan would be a good idea but the tank heted up to 84 degress and that was with the bad heater pulled out... I dont think a fan can chill it that much. I wish it could. And on nice days I dont want to tell the wife (who doesnt care for the tank that much) that we cant open the windows because of my tank. So to avoid the argumentS I will need to get a chiller. I am prob going to spen 1K this weekend on a Chiller new filters for my Ro unit, 2 more buckets of salt, frozen foods, Coral RX, Eshopps filter socks and other junk... Its going to hurt my wallet :o

saltwatercoral
Man that was crileys scroll right? That thing was amazing. Looking good SWC

"was" amazing... So since I have it, its not that amazing anymore :huh: , lol Just kidin. Yup, I told him to give me first crack at it if he sold it and he did!

Thanks Deckoz2302! Its going to take me a while to get this thing filled with bigger pieces but I want to grow everything! I can def see growth on each piece I have in the tank! I know its crazy but even the new pink birdsnest I recieved from Criley7 a few days ago I can see growth. It is the longer stright piece that had these pinpoint bumps on the side of it where there are branches about ready to form are now bigger!

here is a pic of the piece I was talking about

PinkBirdsNest.jpg

Now the bumps are def visable and atleast 2-3 times the original size!

Builder Anthony

i have a little crab in a hole like that in a favia type coral.i dont know what he eats but it awalys hangs out in there.its really small.its prettymuch all white.

saltwatercoral
Good to see the corals are all doing good for you. How do you like the purple bonsai?

The bonsai is nice! I like the neon tips that come out!

i have a little crab in a hole like that in a favia type coral.i dont know what he eats but it awalys hangs out in there.its really small.its prettymuch all white.

Yours is all white? My 2 acro crabs are def darker almost a dark gray. You really don't need to feed the crabs at all. The coral they are on supply them with food.

The bonsai is nice! I like the neon tips that come out!

I knew you would. It's still my favorite piece. Just wait until it get larger like my colony and the Polyps are really out and all over. The tips of mine almost look like they are bio luminescent.

saltwatercoral
I knew you would. It's still my favorite piece. Just wait until it get larger like my colony and the Polyps are really out and all over. The tips of mine almost look like they are bio luminescent.

That's awesome! I can't wait till all my pieces grow out and get bigger!

Archived