inTank Media Baskets

rbaby' 60-F Dual View Panorama

rbaby

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet build! This going to be good, I can tell!

Tagging along...

Thank you :)

How did I miss this?????

You didn't! You didn't miss much anyway--I just moved my crap haha. Hoping to stock a bit more when I go to the CFM and Reefapalooza~yay!

That's true. With the tank being so shallow the sol is over kill. Just have to find a way to mount the nano higher up.

Yeah, even the AI rep told me that it would cook my stuff. He said that they have the AI Nano 10" above water above a 50 gallon cube for LPS/softies (no SPS though which I don't plan on having anyhoot). If you raise it to around 7" from the waterline, you can get sufficient coverage for 24" across. I would test it first before buying a 2nd. I tested it by just hooking into a box and stacking books on it to see how far up I have to go to cover the sides.

I love these shallow ADAs, so clean! Looking really good so far. My tank has similar dimensions and I've wanted to try the AI Nano, maybe even the Sol Blue but I'm having a similar problem as you- will it cover my tank (also 24 in long but an inch and a half taller at 8.5in) and how will I mount it to the tank? Does the light look as concentrated in person? Do you know if they have like 90deg optics for these or can you run them without them at all? What other coral do you plan on putting in this badboy?

Edit: well you've already answered a lot of the questions in the post above >_> lol

The Nano's are 70 degree optics as far as I know, I don't believe there's an option or way to remove it. I'm seeking out some more zoas and LPS this weekend. I just bought a tri-color rhodactis this past weekend but I've never been a fan of SPS.

With the 7" height and 24" width, you would get full coverage if you sit the light about 6-8" above waterline which would work out well for the 8.5" height as well.

Sweet setup!

Thank you nanoduders. Any tips would be appreciated. Any ideas for surface skimming? I'm looking for a vortech to put in there for sure--needs more flow...since it's such a long tank there's definitely a dead spot on the other end. It'd be nice if I had a sump--but I don't, maybe one day when I move it :).

This weekend I'll be figuring out a mounting solution for the light, maybe it can help you out henry--I'll be sure to document it if I do but I definitely want it off the rim of the tank.

Looks great so far! It's tough to have really good surface skimming without an overflow but getting an MP10 will help a lot with the surface scum because it'll really agitate the water.

Welcome to the 60-F club. It's looking great so far! Check out my thread if you have time:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=279182&hl=

As for the lighting, it looks like you have room at the side of your tank stand. Why not get a conduit pipe and attach your lighting to that? It's very cheap, and can be done very clean. A second option is to get the Ikea lights that I'm using and hang them from the wall. IMHO, it looks good.

Nice tank and Light,..

how many gallons is the tank?

8.5g

Looks great so far! It's tough to have really good surface skimming without an overflow but getting an MP10 will help a lot with the surface scum because it'll really agitate the water.

Awesome, right now I have a cheapo pump in there just because it was sitting in a box...but I am eyeing an mp10 on the classifieds :). I really wanted a shallow tank and your tank really sealed the deal, I think I ordered immediately :).

As for the lighting, it looks like you have room at the side of your tank stand. Why not get a conduit pipe and attach your lighting to that? It's very cheap, and can be done very clean. A second option is to get the Ikea lights that I'm using and hang them from the wall. IMHO, it looks good.

Yeap everyone's mentioned the conduit so I'm going to check it out this weekend--I'm also looking into 80/20 aluminums and see if I can find a local retailer with 'em :)

Drilling the eheim makes me worry :), I might just strap a light onto it haha.

Gotcha... I think epoxy would be strong enough to keep the pressure back. Man I wish I could find you that thread from long ago where someone did that to a canister filter.

Any old schoolers remember that pico with the mantis shrimp? Had a bottom plumbed cannister filter with a fuge light drilled/installed into it?

Gotcha... I think epoxy would be strong enough to keep the pressure back. Man I wish I could find you that thread from long ago where someone did that to a canister filter.

Any old schoolers remember that pico with the mantis shrimp? Had a bottom plumbed cannister filter with a fuge light drilled/installed into it?

I've seen the thread--silicone is sufficient but I just don't want to take the chance. With the maintenance aspect of it, it just leaves too much room for the seal to get messed with since I have to unhook/unplug every time to clear it out :(

I've seen the thread--silicone is sufficient but I just don't want to take the chance. With the maintenance aspect of it, it just leaves too much room for the seal to get messed with since I have to unhook/unplug every time to clear it out :(

Understood... keep updating. I'm sure most people will want to see those nice frags you're looking at to purchase. I still can't believe those exist in reality.

Understood... keep updating. I'm sure most people will want to see those nice frags you're looking at to purchase. I still can't believe those exist in reality.

No macro lens or good camera to take a good shot of anything--I just have a good ole Canon point and shoot :)

Was it hard to mount the AI nano? I see in one of your other pics, the light was not level. Did you have to use a pad in the back to stabilize it? I am setting up a 8g pico (12x12x12).

Was it hard to mount the AI nano? I see in one of your other pics, the light was not level. Did you have to use a pad in the back to stabilize it? I am setting up a 8g pico (12x12x12).

I'm moving the tank tonight to make the tank itself level /sigh. I'm also going to be re-mounting the light, this was a temporary solution until I get a side-hanging mount of sorts :)

I'm moving the tank tonight to make the tank itself level /sigh. I'm also going to be re-mounting the light, this was a temporary solution until I get a side-hanging mount of sorts :)

What I mean is, why is the light in the pic not level? Mounting issue?

6080584923_0dc2798b02_z.jpg

What I mean is, why is this pic not level:

6080584923_0dc2798b02_z.jpg

Wouldn't know, that isn't my tank :) I think he purposely made it uneven so that it focuses on his tank coz the light's too far forward. He adjusted the bolts accordingly.

Wouldn't know, that isn't my tank :) I think he purposely made it uneven so that it focuses on his tank coz the light's too far forward. He adjusted the bolts accordingly.

LOL i thought that was your tank :)

so pro.

did you put anything between the tank and the stand?

Yeah I moved it--it's on a flat surface now but even beforehand I put a thin cushion yoga mat =D

LOL i thought that was your tank :)

I'd poke my eye out if my walls were patterned like that...no offense to anyone who likes it, just definitely not my taste lol...

Any updates :)

I ordered my light mount setup :) I will take pics and send you the parts list, maybe it will work for your situation. Total cost me about $75 or so shipped for all components.

I ordered my light mount setup :) I will take pics and send you the parts list, maybe it will work for your situation. Total cost me about $75 or so shipped for all components.

I'm guessing you went with the 80/20? You're up late a lot eh?

I'm guessing you went with the 80/20? You're up late a lot eh?

Yeah I went with some 80/20's, saved myself the trouble of cutting it by finding a company that does it for me :). I'm a night owl, always have been.

Archived