Coral Vue Hydros

msscha's 24 gallon office cube

msscha

Taps for Yellow Clown Goby

Came into work this morning to a bit of coral chaos and a missing goby. She's definitely not there, though I haven't found a skeleton. My guess is the nassarius did their job. Clearly, I'm going to have to glue the corals in place. Even the mushrooms which are on a particularly big plug (rock frag attached to a plug) are getting moved about. Also, the red emerald and snails have nibbled the all macro except the halimeda down to nothing. May be time to take out the crab only because it's appetite is truly endless. I'm not sure there is enough in the tank to sustain it and the snails.

Update -- four hours later: yep, crab has got to go. Turned my head to find the red emerald "snacking" on the stem of the duncan. Don't know if it was hurting it or not, but the duncan is closed up tight, giving off a bit of slime, and not re-opening even though I drove the crab off. There is no way I find the crab a better tank inhabitant, so must figure out a way to catch it fast. I have meetings all afternoon, and would be so very upset to come in tomorrow morning to a dead duncan.

45 minutes later -- epic fail on crab catching. Thought I had it three times. Just succeeded in pissing off every other living thing in the tank and probably killing some life I didn't want dead. And found the crab out and about within 5 minutes of replacing the tank rocks. [bad language] ARG! [/bad language]

Edited by msscha
So sorry about the goby :(

Good luck catching the crab! Did you try removing the rocks to get him?

I removed all but the bottom rocks -- he was hanging onto one when I lifted it out of the tank, but disappeared into a hole and even club soda couldn't make him come out! I did get rid of another couple of crabs and a small, red shrimp of some kind. Will try again tomorrow. Sigh.

FTS

The duncans are still alive this morning and the crab is chowing down elsewhere. Will put together a crab trap tonight -- today is full of teaching and kids' dental appointments.

This is the latest FTS. It's a bit bleached so the colors are inaccurate, although it shows how much of the lavender coralline has disappeared. A couple of the anemones came back and I need to remove them again. The yellow sponge seems to be okay despite yesterday's ordeal-by-club-soda. The smaller yellow sponge at top is also looking better since I cleaned a bunch of red algae off of it. I've seen a couple of small holes opening up, so that is a good sign.

One happy outcome of yesterday's blitz was slight changes in the rockscape that I like -- a bit more open in the middle. The Hidden cup coral has not emerged in several days, though I can see it is still alive. The LFS has a piece of rock with hidden cups that are gorgeous, big wavy fully extended tentacles. It's also a well-established tank, and they said that is the difference. Just another 10 months to wait!

FTS -- November 8, 2011

fts_nov8_2011.bmp

Side View, bottom of tank

sideview3.bmp

Godzilla

red_mithrax_godzilla.bmp

Mushrooms (with stems!)

mushrooms2.bmp

After class...

I come back from class #1 to find the duncan freaked out, all closed up, tipped over and pulled as far under a rock as possible. Crab must go.

OTOH, I also saw a real live basket star! Image and link to video below!

basketstar.jpg

Sorry about your goby - and sorry to hear about your crab.

I know you've tried it before, but maybe it's time for the shrimp in the glass again.

My father used to say "To know fish is to know death" -_-. I think my next attempt will be an ocellaris clown, however cliche that may be! (My kids are delighted!)

Edited by msscha

Domed Duncan

It occurred to me that if I can't trap the crab today, at least I can protect the coral -- duh!

duncans_domed.bmp

Edited by msscha

Shrimp Molted!

Yeah, I know this is hardly big news in the world of tank keeping, but I like to think it indicates a happy habitat. The duncan is looking better today, though the head the crab used to drag it still hasn't opened back up and the whole coral is still maybe half the height/width it was before Godzilla got hungry. Even now, it is over by the duncan, stalking relentlessly, but backing off when I wave my hand. I bought three pieces of shrimp yesterday and a couple different sized water bottles to see about trap making. Finally, the hermit crab was out and about -- the big yellow ball seems a popular CUC attraction :D .

Peppermint Shrimp Molt

shrimp_molt.bmp

Tiny Hermit (in my hand...cannot get the Elton John tune out of my head)

tiny_hermit2.bmp

Also, anyone have an idea of what kind of coral this is? And is it bleaching?

Mystery Coral -- in trouble?

mystery_coral.bmp

Crab Traps and Spectators

I placed two "traps" -- one was immediately taken over by nassarius who couldn't find their way out. I felt sorry for them, and eventually took it down. The second one I'll leave until tomorrow. I was just about the snap an illustrative shot of Godzilla Snatching at Duncan when the door opened and the red emerald scooted back. Oh well!

Crab Traps (baited with shrimp)

crabtraps.bmp

Help! I've crawled in, eaten heartily, and can't get out!

stucknassarius.bmp

Yo, Peeps

blenny_looks_on.bmp

I also checked parameters today for the first time in a couple of weeks (LFS has been doing it). Before water change, Phosphate=.25, Ph= 8.0, Amm= .25, nitrite = 0, and nitrate was 20 -- omg! I am assuming the huge spike has to do with the dead goby (whose body I never found) and the possibility that I am over-feeding. I've been trying to do really small amounts a couple times a day, M-F. Perhaps that is too much. I'll monitor nitrate more closely the next couple of weeks.

Crab Trap Update -- 11/11/11 -- both traps failed. It took me less than five minutes to catch it with a net and a bit of prodding. yes, the rock got moved a bit again, but mission accomplished. Geesh.

Captured Crab

crab_capture.bmp

Edited by msscha

Blenny is Apartment Hunting

Came in this morning to find a significant sandpile in one corner of the tank and the blenny in yet another new locale. Maybe he's apartment hunting? I also found the molt of the remaining crab (that I know of -- red emerald made it safely to the LFS last Friday) -- definitely seems to have dark-tipped claws and is very shy. So far, though, I cannot see that it's doing damage, so I think I'll return my attention to the anemones that are once again springing up everywhere. Maybe it's time for a berghia nudibranch.

Sandpile -- wth?

sandpile.bmp

Blenny in Hole 1

blenny_hole1.bmp

Blenny in Hole 2

blenny_hole2.bmp

A bit later -- too cool! Just watched the blenny totally chow down on some worm thing in the water column. He's still chomping at it :D.

Edited by msscha

New Stuff!!

Couldn't help it. LFS needed to stir up business so offered a BOGO deal on whole shop! Bought a larger clove, two rics, and a blasto -- so excited!! Also brought home an ocellaris and a firefish. Two fish in a day is likely over-indulgence, but the deal was good, all the params checked out, so I went for it. Post-acclimation pics coming later :D.

New Stuff!!

Couldn't help it. LFS needed to stir up business so offered a BOGO deal on whole shop! Bought a larger clove, two rics, and a blasto -- so excited!! Also brought home an ocellaris and a firefish. Two fish in a day is likely over-indulgence, but the deal was good, all the params checked out, so I went for it. Post-acclimation pics coming later :D.

Can't wait to see pics of the new additions!!!!!!

Pics of the New Additions

Here's the opening salvo. I don't have one of the ocellaris b/c it is still swimming anxiously up and down the sides of the tank. It has eaten a bit, but mostly seems crazed at the moment. Perhaps this is its way of expressing tank distress? The firefish has come out a couple of times, but currently is hiding under the rock somewhere. She is most beautiful -- I am surprised by this b/c I found them somewhat unappealing while still in the big, blank tank at the LFS. Gena was right when she said a firefish would go nicely with my tank colors. She does, and her peaceful ways are also very nice. I look forward to when she is comfortable enough to hang out in the open more often.

Otherwise, I glued all the frags yesterday (thanks, Steve!) and all but one are still in place. I didn't use putty, just glue, which seems to be working okay. The blue ric with the pink mouth (yes, that's what I said!) is in place on a shell fragment and I didn't get the right contact points yesterday. This morning, it was caught upside down in a crevice, then knocked down again by a small (gorilla) crab. Some giant-looking cucumber thing has made its way out today, too, but the pictures came out badly so I am not posting them. I think it's the body of the basket star -- does that make sense?

Ricordea Florida -- blue w/purple, green w/purple, green and pink mouths

ricordea_blue1.bmp

Ricordea Florida -- light blue with pink mouths (I just love this!)

ricordea_bluepink1.bmp

Blasto and Blenny (cannot get good enough shot of blasto on its own)

blenny_and_blasto.bmp

Large Clove (too much current in this location?)

bigclove1.bmp

Firefish (lousy picture -- she's still too shy for close camera work)

firefish1.bmp

Basket Star

basketstar.bmp

A few hours later -- the clownfish is driving me nuts! His swimming seems so frantic and it hasn't stopped once yet today. The firefish has eaten and is beginning to circulate more. Maybe gobies and blennies are just more laid back?!

Edited by msscha

Firefish has Died

I am rather sad about this :tears: . I don't know what happened overnight, but this morning, the firefish did not come out to eat, and when she tried to swim, just twisted around and nose-dived into the sand. I removed her from the tank: one side of her body is mottled with what look like bruises. I have no idea what might have caused this -- disease? the hypothesized pistol shrimp? one of the crabs?

firefish_deathmarks.bmp

Awe, bummer :( so sorry this happened! maybe something freaked it out in the night and it injured itself fatally. They are such timid fish. It's wouldn't surprise me if something spooked it to death. Are you still trying to catch the crab(s)?

Awe, bummer :( so sorry this happened! maybe something freaked it out in the night and it injured itself fatally. They are such timid fish. It's wouldn't surprise me if something spooked it to death. Are you still trying to catch the crab(s)?

Yes, I am still trying to catch the crabs and the hypothetical pistol shrimp. I haven't had the chance to make it to the LFS for a trap, though. This is the last few weeks of the semester and when that is combined with the holidays, it's hard to get everything done!

Bozo the Psycho Clownfish

Monday morning is always such a treat -- 48 hours since I've seen the tank and always curious about what I'll encounter. This morning, I found one of the new rics laying face down wedged between a couple of rocks. The glue didn't hold, I guess, since there's also a small piece of coral that's been chipped off. When I moved it back into its spot, I noticed the lightbulb anemone was gone! Actually, I think I still see it, hiding underneath the rock. Someone told me that ricordea give off a toxic slime, so maybe it forced the nem into hiding.

The clownfish is driving me ape. It just keeps swimming frantically up and down the front corner of the tank. Up and down, up and down, with the occasional foray through the rock cave. Could it be chasing its reflection? Is this acclimation behavior? It is not creating a peaceful feel, so if it doesn't settle soon, it goes back to the LFS. I thought about getting it a clown mate, but am not sure the tank is big enough to support 2 clowns and the blenny comfortably. The barnacle blenny is still doing well. He's awesome :) .

A couple of hours later: Bozo the Psycho Clownfish has calmed some, and is swimming in the mellow, sweet way I think of clown fish. Maybe it was just really hungry and got super-excited? Maybe it's still just adjusting to office tank life.

Edited by msscha

The Office Clown

He's growing on me. A bit calmer now, beginning to have those qualities that make clown's cute tank dwellers. He's eating more, though seems to need big chunks in his face -- my new fave late afternoon activity is "hand feeding" (not really with my hand) a bit of frozen food off the tip of a plastic fork which the fish seem to appreciate. Even the peppermint shrimp got into the act and grabbed a piece of food right out of the current! I suspect given the nutrients in the tank (if the diatom is any indication) that I am over-feeding. I am trying to feed a little bit throughout the day. I need to try harder. In other news, the lightbulb nem has yet to re-appear, and there is a bunch of scavenging by crab and peppermint shrimp in its former spot. My first starfish hitchhiker appeared on the cloves. The little bitty kind -- don't recall if they are good guys or bad guys.

Yes, Kids, there really is a clown fish in mom's tank

clown1.bmp

Office Clown,Contemplating

clown2.bmp

Ricordea (becoming my fave coral)

ricordea_blue2.bmp

ricordea_bluepink2small.bmp

Blastomussus -- color is still not coming out right

blasto1.bmp

Edited by msscha

Sorry about the blenny! Any idea what might have happened?

I don't know how you can leave such a gorgeous tank at work!!!!! I'd be bringing that beauty home so I could enjoy it all the time :)