Innovative Marine Aquariums

msscha's 24 gallon office cube

msscha

ScubaEthan

Yeah that looks great! Fill up that area with some gorgonians and low light stuff and you'll be the next tank of the month.

Thank you all so much!! Today with the water clear and some minor re-arrangement of corals, the whole tank looks lovely and inviting.

But the big news -- Bozette got a puppy :lol: ! No, not a baby clown -- I decided not to risk that. Instead, I had the unexpected opportunity to pick up a new denizen yesterday and chose a blue chromis. I know, not a sexy fish, and they look remarkably like mini, blue-green mahi mahi (I think that's the right fish -- looks like the fish version of a cocker spaniel :P). So, the chromis, who looks bright and shimmering in the tank, hangs around Bozette like a golden retriever -- always just under foot. It's hysterical. Bozette has gently nipped its tail a couple of time, and it actually nipped back once, but perhaps b/c the chromis is a schooler, it just hangs out nearby, hovering haplessly, circling hopefully. Bozette is swimming around more than I've ever seen -- not sure if that's anxiety or fishy-happiness, but she doesn't looked stressed at all, and both ate like pigs this morning. I haven't decided on a name for the chromis.

I read about trimma gobies in Coral Magazine last night and it said they are good in pairs. Since my trimma has started coming out again (yay!!), I may get him a mate. I am pretty sure it is a "him" since males and females can be distinguished by the dorsal fin -- you might remember from an early picture how long this trimma's dorsal fin is? That should indicate his maleness.

I also got my first favia! The lfs gave me the frag for free in exchange for the ric, hairy shroom, and piece of rock I brought in. I've never had a favia, but I liked its maroon-ish edge with neon-green mouth. I think he said it was a "moonstone" favia, but frankly, I am finding popular names in the coral world about as useful as popular names in the flower world. I prefer to use the Latin terms, and will do some research on what sort of favia this is.

I cannot use my computer today b/c it is being re-formatted with Windows 7 and Office 2010. I will see if my colleague's computer will allow me to load pictures. His CPU is practically vintage technology, so I am not sure how this will work. I'll save for now and edit with pics if they load. If not, it'll have to wait for Monday!

Update -- pics worked, so here goes -- I know, way more than necessary given there's nothing rare about my new addition! Just feeling the happy mama :happydance:.

Favia

favia1.bmp

Chromis

chromis1.bmp

Bozette and Chromis

bozette_chromis1.bmp

bozette_chromis2.bmp

bozette_chromis3.bmp

bozette_chromis4.bmp

Edited by msscha

Damn -- I just read that favia's are highly aggressive -- why the hell wouldn't the LFS mention that given the tiny-ness of my tank???!!! :angry:

Okay -- in all fairness, I should know better than to pick up frags without asking. Sigh.

Edited by msscha
In my experience favia are not as aggressive as frogspawn and such. I have several and they haven't stung anything nearby.

Thank you, Hravanii! I will give it a few days and see what happens.

Chromis comment: I really like the way the chromis changes color depending where it is in the tank! I just did a water change and the chromis behaved quite differently than Bozette. At first, it raced back and forth, and the colors really seem to flash a bit. Then, it hid in a crevice, where it looked brownish. When all was over, it came back out pretty quickly. Reminds me of dogs we've had that hid during storms!

Edited by msscha
But the big news -- Bozette got a puppy :lol: ! No, not a baby clown -- I decided not to risk that. Instead, I had the unexpected opportunity to pick up a new denizen yesterday and chose a blue chromis. I know, not a sexy fish, and they look remarkably like mini, blue-green mahi mahi (I think that's the right fish -- looks like the fish version of a cocker spaniel :P). So, the chromis, who looks bright and shimmering in the tank, hangs around Bozette like a golden retriever -- always just under foot.

LOL - I keep telling people my fish act like dogs and they look at me like I'm crazy.

The chromis is lovely. I hope Bozette gets her new puppy housebroken quickly so they can have fun together.

Congrats!

phoenix91

YAY new chromis, awesome looking fish and Bozette looks happy with it hanging around.

I'll be getting an acan and war coral (sure it's part of the favia family) tomorrow, i hope yours does well in the tank, i've read they put their tentacles out at night so maybe watch it then, just after lights out.

Congrats on the new fish and coral.

That blue chromis is adorable....I LOVE it!!!!! I'm acclimating a fish for my frag tank right now. I'll update later. I think I need to start a new thread for my frag/macro tank :)

xDetroitMetalx

I sat and read through the whole 20 pages a few days ago. Great build and thanks for the detailed updates. I really like the new scape as well. I also have a 14g bio that I'm starting, after it being empty for a month + i finally picked up some coral, I'm pumped to see color finally.

~LadyBug~

congrats on the new additons. chromis are so pretty :happy:

But the big news -- Bozette got a puppy :lol: !

I haven't decided on a name for the chromis.

may i suggest what my aunt named her puppy? D-O-G. Nope, not kidding. they go around spelling 'dog' everytime they want to reference their pet. and sometimes they call him DOE-gzh, which led to her granddaughter/my 4 y/o cousin asking what a "doegzh is?" with the funniest look on her face :P:huh:

you might remember from an early picture how long this trimma's dorsal fin is? That should indicate his maleness.

:huh::D:lol:

LOL - I keep telling people my fish act like dogs and they look at me like I'm crazy.

!

i had some FW danios and male bettas that would beg at the glass every time i came in the room...nobody believed me either... -_-

I sat and read through the whole 20 pages a few days ago. Great build and thanks for the detailed updates. I really like the new scape as well. I also have a 14g bio that I'm starting, after it being empty for a month + i finally picked up some coral, I'm pumped to see color finally.

Welcome to NR :welcome:! And thanks for the whole 20 page read -- wow! There are a bunch of people who have great threads, too, as I'm sure you're finding out. I look forward to reading yours!

That blue chromis is adorable....I LOVE it!!!!! I'm acclimating a fish for my frag tank right now. I'll update later. I think I need to start a new thread for my frag/macro tank :)

Thank you! I think it's cute, too :happy:! I'm actually a bit bummed that I'm heading out of town today and may not have time to stop by and see how they are all doing. I may try to sneak out a bit early, see if I can swing by campus. This is a dangerous idea given that it's graduation weekend. I nearly got a ticket this morning when I tried parking illegall :huh: -- parking enforcement showed up just as I was hitting the sidewalk. I just turned around and went home to finish packing. Arg!!

YAY new chromis, awesome looking fish and Bozette looks happy with it hanging around.

I'll be getting an acan and war coral (sure it's part of the favia family) tomorrow, i hope yours does well in the tank, i've read they put their tentacles out at night so maybe watch it then, just after lights out.

Congrats on the new fish and coral.

Thank you!! Hravanii indicated the favias didn't act badly, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I could put it in a back spot where it could as big as it wanted, but that's where I want the gorgonian or other branching thing to go! I may try to combine the coral with the right kind of pygmy gobies...we shall see... :P

Congrats on the puppy, I mean Chromis. They are quite lively fish. The favia can be agressive, depends who is next to them. My favias LOVE to eat the porites! I had a broken off sad little sliver of favia that I placed on the same ledge as the porites temporarily, I did not know if it would live seeing as it had ripped off when I was gluing the frag down. The little sliver started eating the porites!

They have sweepers but again the sweeper lengths depends on what is next to them.

Monday Morning -- as always :eek: !

Sigh. The puppy is gone. Everyone else looks blissfully happy. Just no blue chromis anywhere. The IT guys reported he was here on Friday...maybe the three day weekend was just too much for his first week. I will try again, though I'll wait until the weekend to get the fish -- next week, summer classes start so I will be here every day for the next 6 weeks.

Man, you all were busy this weekend! This is what I get for spending the weekend at the beach ;). Many posts to catch up on. We had nice weather, though -- the pic below is not us boating or parasailing (lol), but does show the quality of the water on the Gulf. I love the west coast of Florida!

beach_scene.bmp

They have sweepers but again the sweeper lengths depends on what is next to them.

Hmm -- that is interesting news. The neon green trumpet seems okay, but I think I'm going to move the favia in a corner where it can do no harm anyway. Maybe b/c most of my corals were chosen for their peaceful natures, the favia didn't feel it needed to protect itself? I swear it looks bigger already :huh:!! And one of the heads has two mouths so I'll be watching to see how they split/multiply.

Edited by msscha

Bummer.....sorry you lost the chromis. I've been considering a tiny one for my macro tank, to keep my cardinalfish company. I haven't made any definite decisions on one yet though. I'm still waiting to see if my cardinalfish is eating sexy shrimp. I had one go missing.

I guess we can look forward to lots of updates soon, with summer classes starting :)

Beautiful picture!!!!!

Geesh -- will I ever learn?

I picked up two new tanks inhabitants today, and put a hold on a third. The LFS does indeed have a female trimma cana goby, but they couldn't catch her! If they do, they'll give me a call.

I picked up a lovely chunk of leather -- with branches, sporting a minty green hue. I look forward to it deciding to open up!

Then, instead of a blue chromis, which was what I intended, I went for a lemon damsel. Sigh. Bozette has been trying for an hour to make friends, but it wants nothing to do with her. Apparently, the damsel (clearly in distress? :P) is not a schooler. And now, Bozette is just picking on her. Should have gotten the puppy. We'll give the newbie a few days, and if she doesn't come around, I'll take her out and bring back a chromis.

What sort of leather is this?

leather_damsel.bmp

Duncans -- full bellies?

duncans9.bmp

Her Majesty

bozette4.bmp

Bozette chases Damsel

bozette_chases_damsel.bmp

Edited by msscha
~LadyBug~

Based on your description, I'd guess it's green sinularia, common name green finger leather. It's really pretty, I've got it on my wishlist.

Based on your description, I'd guess it's green sinularia, common name green finger leather. It's really pretty, I've got it on my wishlist.

Thanks, Anna! That's what I thought it might be after querying liveaquaria. It's really big, and was "only" $34 :D!

Favia is already splitting!

I could see the second mouth, but when the lights went out and I got to hang out a bit, the new head is clear :happydance: !

favia2.bmp

ScubaEthan

I'm sorry you lost the puppy :( How do you think it died?

The lemon damsel is cute. Hope it starts to like Bozette.

I can't wait to see those corals, especially the leather, when they are fully opened.

phoenix91

Sorry about the chromis, the yellow damsel is lovely though, i hope Bozette comes round.

Nice leather, can't wait to see it when it's open and happy.

~LadyBug~

Wow, that's a really good price! I saw a small frag(like one 2" stalk) at a daytona beach store for about that much! Can't wait to see it open!

I'm sorry you lost the puppy :( How do you think it died?

The lemon damsel is cute. Hope it starts to like Bozette.

I can't wait to see those corals, especially the leather, when they are fully opened.

This morning, the damsel is out and about and Bozette seems a bit less bossy. She still snaps at her and the damsel is still skittish, but we'll give it a couple of days. The damsel is so slender she can fit into all kinds of spots that Bozette cannot, so it's pretty funny to see her zip around. She can also swim backwards! But I do hope the chasing gets better or I will replace her with a blue. Or maybe add a blue? Seems like I'd be pushing the bioload!

I have no idea what got the chromis!! the LFS suggested it might be in the filter chambers, and I looked, but didn't see it. I think I would have noticed a big blue fish zipping around.

Wow, that's a really good price! I saw a small frag(like one 2" stalk) at a daytona beach store for about that much! Can't wait to see it open!

Wow -- I'm glad it was a good price. The new owner at the LFS told me that his new pricing strategy was to lower prices in general and run fewer sales (which the previous owner had basically daily). The leather is tipped a bit this morning, and seems to have a small gouge in its side. It wasn't attached to a rock or plug, so I have it settled inside a circle of PVC, which is how it was at the store. It's kind of leaning over but I'm not sure if I should push it against the back wall since that's the direction its heading -- try to settle the PVC bit further down into the sand -- or just leave it be. It's opened a little bit more, but the lights just came on, so we'll see what happens as the day progresses!