Cultivated Reef

msscha's 24 gallon office cube

msscha

How is your cold? Feeling better? I got sick over Christmas -- symptoms were mild, but the fatigue and lack of appetite last for weeks. I actually lost 4 pounds over the holidays, even when I wasn't going to the gym! Of course, I've gained it back... :huh:

Are you asking me? I can't remember if Ethan's been sick or not...hopefully not!!!!! Mine got much better but then on Saturday the winds kicked up around here which made my allergies go crazy. My head/sinuses had a rough weekend. I feel like I'm getting back to normal now though, thank goodness.

I haven't been sick since my horrible sinus/ear attack around the time I went to LA and dove. Hope you continue to get better!

One of the peppermints is MIA this morning :scarry: -- and the GCB shrimp did not come out for breakfast. Things that make you go "hmm".... :huh:

One of the peppermints is MIA this morning :scarry: -- and the GCB shrimp did not come out for breakfast. Things that make you go "hmm".... :huh:

Uh oh!!!! Did things show up, I hope????? My shrimp won't come out to eat if they had just molted. Hopefully that's what is up with yours.

I gave my yellow ball sponge to surgicalsense. I decided it took up too much space. I still have my tiny yellow frilly sponge though. Someday, when I have a bigger tank, I'll get another yellow ball :)

Uh oh!!!! Did things show up, I hope????? My shrimp won't come out to eat if they had just molted. Hopefully that's what is up with yours.

I gave my yellow ball sponge to surgicalsense. I decided it took up too much space. I still have my tiny yellow frilly sponge though. Someday, when I have a bigger tank, I'll get another yellow ball :)

Haven't seen it yet...but maybe it's hiding somewhere! I've been out of the office a couple of days -- Monday mornings are often an adventure!

I read on your thread that you were giving the yellow ball to Surgical Sense -- yeah for you! It's so neat that you've got a local crew. My yellow ball sponges are pretty small, so don't take up significant real-estate...I wish they would grow!

This week has been nuts so no pics and almost no posts -- BUT -- I just saw something I thought I had imagined: the gold coral banded shrimp snapping at my fish! It just snapped at Bozette (who clearly is not fazed by this behavior) and actively chased the trimma goby with snapping claws. That dude is SOOO outta here :angry:.

Do you get the summers off?

Bummer about the GCB!!!! I bet he'd be better behaved in a larger tank. I still want to try one if I ever upgrade.

I can take summers off b/c I have a 9 month contract -- but I don't b/c I need the money! If I work hard enough, I can increase my final year's pay by as much as $12,000. I haven't done that much since the kids were born, though -- hard to work 3 teaching gigs when kids are about!

Yeah, it is a bit sad about the GCB. I don't think it's really trying to eat the fish -- just being territorial, and there isn't enough room for that! It really is a spectacularly colored animal -- gold body, red-white striped claws, purple legs. But it's hiding behavior makes enjoying it a rare treat!

Actually, I'm looking forward to having a pair of peppermints again. It's so fun to see what I like and don't like once it's in the tank.

I finished work and am actually caught up -- at 2 weeks until the end of the semester, this represents an accomplishment! So, I spent a few minutes taking pictures -- here's the photo dump!

GCB Shrimp

goldbandshrimp4.bmp

Rain in Garden

rain_garden2.bmp

Rain

raingoby4.bmp

Hairy Shroom encroaching on Acan

hairyshroom_acan.bmp

Shades of Green

neongreen_trumpet6.bmp

Trimma's new hangout spot

trimma6.bmp

Giant Pink Shroom and Pal

pink_shroom.bmp

Some days, even nems are pretty!

nem_sponge.bmp

Blastos in corner -- do they like being on the sand bed?

blasto_corner.bmp

Red Grape Caulerpa

red_grape_macro.bmp

Edited by msscha

oooh pretty! Rain is such a nice looking fishie.

That shrimp is really pretty too, shame about it's bad behaviour. I think once my tank has settled down for a while i'm finally going to get a few shrimp.

oooh pretty! Rain is such a nice looking fishie.

That shrimp is really pretty too, shame about it's bad behaviour. I think once my tank has settled down for a while i'm finally going to get a few shrimp.

Thank you! I agree that the shrimp is pretty. Just not quite the right denizen for the tank -_-.

Everything looks beautiful!!!!!

That's nice that you have the option to take the summer off if needed :)

When are you planning to return the shrimp and mushrooms? I'll miss them, but you have to do what's best for the tank, of course! I never realized the GCB had purple in it...so gorgeous!!!!

Everything looks beautiful!!!!!

That's nice that you have the option to take the summer off if needed :)

When are you planning to return the shrimp and mushrooms? I'll miss them, but you have to do what's best for the tank, of course! I never realized the GCB had purple in it...so gorgeous!!!!

Thank you, Gena! I may take them back tomorrow, or I'll wait until next week when I am less sleep deprived. I'm also considering yet another mini re-scape -- there is a large bottom span of rock that is under the cave that would also make a good home for coral -- maybe even a maxi-mini (though I am worried about their stinging ability and both of the gobies). I'm not certain that the rock can be moved in the way I'm thinking -- I am truly deficit in whatever 3D spatial visualizing ability is required to know these things in advance ;).

Bozette is swimming in a very strange way! Not a sick kind of way, but similar to how I've seen hosting clowns swim. But she's doing this in basically open water!

I am worried about Rain, though. He looks thinner to me. I wonder if that chiton thing hurt him somehow?

Bozette is swimming in a very strange way! Not a sick kind of way, but similar to how I've seen hosting clowns swim. But she's doing this in basically open water!

is she maybe hosting something *near* the open water? i've got a pair (that host the return nozzle on my pump :huh: ), and it seems like they sometimes swim *weird*(not very often, which is why i'm having trouble remembering), when they manage to tear themselves away from the nozzle...

I am worried about Rain, though. He looks thinner to me. I wonder if that chiton thing hurt him somehow?

How are they today? I hope Rain will be ok. I do know they are difficult to keep fat and healthy due to their diet. I think they are similar to mandarins when it comes to feeding.

How are they today? I hope Rain will be ok. I do know they are difficult to keep fat and healthy due to their diet. I think they are similar to mandarins when it comes to feeding.

Everyone is still alive and since I started feeding cyclop-eeze more regularly again, it seems like Rain is looking better. I'm deliberately not trimming away the "dying" halimeda so that it can be a food source, too. I may try some live food this summer!

And yes, I think feeding a fish like the rainfordii is a lot like trying to feed a mandarin. I still think there ought to be a way of keeping an algae farm! I'm going to try some cheato again -- I just have to figure out how to keep it in one place in the main tank without having to add egg crate.

Everyone is still alive and since I started feeding cyclop-eeze more regularly again, it seems like Rain is looking better. I'm deliberately not trimming away the "dying" halimeda so that it can be a food source, too. I may try some live food this summer!

And yes, I think feeding a fish like the rainfordii is a lot like trying to feed a mandarin. I still think there ought to be a way of keeping an algae farm! I'm going to try some cheato again -- I just have to figure out how to keep it in one place in the main tank without having to add egg crate.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well :)

Have you considered a suction cup soap basket for the chaeto? It seems to be a popular holder for algae. I have a couple in my frag tank and they dont look too bad in there. Otherwise you could stuff it behind the rock. Wedged between wall and rock.

I've got this miracle algae I got from Danielle. This stuff is even better than chaeto. It seems to grow very fast so at some point I could send you some. It's awesome stuff!!!!!

I've got this miracle algae I got from Danielle. This stuff is even better than chaeto. It seems to grow very fast so at some point I could send you some. It's awesome stuff!!!!!

I may take you up on that offer! I got a closer look at Rain just now -- I'm not sure he's doing better. Stomach looks more concave, eyes seem to be bulging a bit. I need to do a water change today, but all in all, I am worried. I don't know what his normal life span would be, either, but the sunken sides cannot be a good sign :( .

Glad to hear everyone is doing well :)

Have you considered a suction cup soap basket for the chaeto? It seems to be a popular holder for algae. I have a couple in my frag tank and they dont look too bad in there. Otherwise you could stuff it behind the rock. Wedged between wall and rock.

has anybody ever covered the soap dish in coral? you could just about make it disappear with a softie or encrusting monti or something on the side.

I hope Rain gets to feeling better!

has anybody ever covered the soap dish in coral? you could just about make it disappear with a softie or encrusting monti or something on the side.

I hope Rain gets to feeling better!

That's a great idea, Anna! I may try that.

I think it is too late for Rain :( . He has not come out at all to feed today, has hardly been sand-sifting for the last week, and is just kind of hiding under his rock. I don't know if I should take him out of the tank or not. I think if he died under the rock, the nassarius and ceriths would eat him pretty quickly; otherwise, I'd have to take the whole tank apart to get him out.

That's a great idea, Anna! I may try that.

I think it is too late for Rain :( . He has not come out at all to feed today, has hardly been sand-sifting for the last week, and is just kind of hiding under his rock. I don't know if I should take him out of the tank or not. I think if he died under the rock, the nassarius and ceriths would eat him pretty quickly; otherwise, I'd have to take the whole tank apart to get him out.

Sorry to hear that :(

Aah, Monday Morning.

There is no sign of Rain this morning :tears: . I believe he has passed on and contributed his remains to the nassarius snail. The GCB shrimp molted over the weekend, so he's been a bit shy today. Since he has started coming out more and more, I've not so sure that I'll be turning him back in. I'm not sure what he contributes to the tank overall, but he is pretty cool looking. If the aiptasia get bothersome, I'll try the berghia nudibranch rather than peppermints.

I'm considering rock re-scaping -- the semester is almost over and I have a bit of brain space available before summer hits. I would like to see if I can achieve some of the "flow" Gena has in her tank.

:tears: sorry!

I'm happy to know you may be keeping the GCB shrimp though :happy:

Good luck with the probable re-scape. Can't wait to see how it turns out!!!!!!! I never set out with much of a plan when I rock-scape. I just fit pieces together like a puzzle. It usually turns out ok :happy: