ReefCleaners.org

Sublunary's 12 Gallons - reborn

sublunary

I love how full of life Kat's biocube is - I can only hope to get to that point with this tank.

You had that before! I'm more than confident you will achieve that again :happy:

Maybe you could try running a night light in that corner of the tank, see if that settles him down. Do you run moonlights all night long?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, no moon lights. I usually have the room lights/tv on for 3 or four hours after the tank lights go off, then it's darkness until morning. Normally the goby retired to his burrow as soon as thte tank lights go out - no idea why he'd be out and about that late.

That sounds strange sub...Something may have frightened him out of is burrow?Perhaps a large bristleworm?My yasha goby freaked out in a similar way when i first added my dwarf golden moray but after a week or so he realized my eel wasnt interested and settled back into his burrow.

Maybe that's what it was. The hi fin goby has been acting normally since then, no more close calls.

I did wake up this morning to find one of the clown gobies trapped in the surface skimmer, and not for the first time. I'm not sure if he's being chased up there by his "friend" or went in accidentally. So I'm going to go back to stuffing it with filter floss so there's no place for fish to get sucked in. So far no one's been injured, but I don't know how long that luck will last if they keep getting in there...

I'm glad your hi-fin is back to normal.

I found one of my green banded gobies on the other side of the surface skimmer, one time. She hasn't done it since. I'm sure it would have been funny to see it happen...weeee!!!! (as long as they don't hurt themselves ;))

Spoke too soon - I just spent half an hour getting the hi fin goby out of the back chambers. Again. Stevie T needs to get on the fish saver for this tank. I'm tired of this.

• 1 month later...

I just saw what happened to your old tank, it really was terrible. I'm glad to see you still stuck with the hobby and your tank is looking as awesome as ever. That new fungia is a really nice specimen! i'm jelly.

Hey, thanks Mark. Yeah it was fairly traumatizing, but life goes on.

Hi Gena, nothing new to report really. I haven't added anything since last update, so I'm pretty much just letting things mature while I decide what to do next. I've been meaning to take some updated pictures, but law school keeps getting in the way. I started my first trial this past week (!) and that sort of took over my life for a while. Hopefully this week I'll get something up.

First trial?! Good luck!

So I'm trying to get that dunkin' donuts across from MA to give us free coffee with purchase with a receipt from MA for Kat's club day purchase. What dyu think?

First trial?! Good luck!

So I'm trying to get that dunkin' donuts across from MA to give us free coffee with purchase with a receipt from MA for Kat's club day purchase. What dyu think?

Thanks Kat! It was going well until the judge got sick and adjourned the end of it to the end of the month...

I love the idea of getting DD involved! I don't drink coffee myself, but I think a lot of other people would take advantage of that. And I am still utterly amazed at your ability to get people to do what you ask them to...

I love the idea of getting DD involved! I don't drink coffee myself, but I think a lot of other people would take advantage of that. And I am still utterly amazed at your ability to get people to do what you ask them to...

I feed the addiction: MOAR SHOPPING! :lol:

Ok guys, as promised I found some time to take a couple of pics. (Though I didn't have time to take pics and really clean the tank. Next time I'll clean first...)

Pom pom crab being adventurous.

P3013574-1.jpg

Hi fin goby is still in the front corner of the tank. Those scratches he had when I first got him seem to have healed up nicely.

P3013581-1.jpg

The gorg I got from Mark has totally recovered and is shooting out some new growth. The little branches on top are all new. The plate coral isn't doing so well. It hasn't inflated in a while and isn't showing a feeding response. There's definitely still flesh on the skeleton, so I'm hoping I can coax it back. The problem seems to be one of he clown gobies who has been sitting on it and rubbing against it .

P3153682-1.jpg

The frogspawn and duncans have been opening up and are doing great.

P3153694-1.jpg

I got some rics from Sea Life inc, which I'm hoping will take over the slope. I had an orange one in the middle, but it floated away and attached to the rocks somewhere else. The acan is doing well too - I discovered two new baby heads today!

P3153711-1.jpg

And finally a FTS. That big empty spot between the tower and the frogspawn was for my clam. I still haven't figured out what to put there since it died. Hopefully I'll find something at the April shopping spree. Anyone have non-SPS suggestions? As awesome as a couple of acro or birdsnest colonies would look, I'm barely keeping my montis alive at the moment and don't have the time to devote to make it SPS-friendly.

P3153725-1.jpg

Also, the porcelain crabs I got from John seem to have had a death match and are all gone now. First one disappeared, then a second one was gone and the remaining crab had his arm bent at a highly unnatural angle for a few weeks. He didn't seem to make it through his last molt.

Thankfully the white porcelain crab was smart enough to stay out of it, and is still alive and well. Lesson learned - anemone porcelain crabs only from now on.

Update looks good. What happened to the archway you had? that thin bridge of rock.

That empty spot might be good for a nice leather coral.

Some other options might be candy canes, Echinatas, or Goniopora

It's still there, just kind of blends in at that angle. I'd take a side pic, but the you'd see the giant puff of red algae that's trying to crowd out my zoas...

I do kind of miss having candy canes... that might be a good call. I still can't decide if I like leathers or not.

Thanks AM!

I had another one of those nights last night where I completely forget why this hobby is a good idea.

A little after midnight, I woke up to banging and splashing from the general vicinity of the tank. I scrambled out of bed to grab a light and find out what's going on. Once again, the hi-fin goby was up in the corner by the overflow, flopping around and occasionally jumping out of the water and hitting the lights. Great. So I got out the turkey baster, chased him back to the front where his shrimp was waiting for him.

I shined the light around the rest of the tank to account for everybody. And then, I saw it, hiding under one of my monti frags. Bright white, tiny and nudibranch-shaped. GAH! So I try to suck it into the turkey baster, but it's not budging. I threw the baster out of the way, grabbed the nearest airline tube and a cup and decided to siphon it out and go back to sleep. But it wouldn't come off. Just would not budge. So I tried to scrape it off with the siphon, which only resulted in me knocking the frag off the rock. Crap.

Now it was on the bottom of the tank and I had used moisturizer on my hands, so I didn't want to just reach in there. So I grabbed a glove, knocking a bunch of stuff on the floor in the process, and attempted to put it on with one hand while I held the other hand above my head to prevent the siphon from breaking or overflowing the cup. Putting on a latex glove with one hand is not easy. Once I got it on, I went back to trying and failing to siphon the nudi off the frag. No luck. So I gave up and tried the tweezers.

About 5 minutes later, I've got the nudi (if that's what it was) in a cup, in about 8 pieces. I was looking at it with a flashlight, trying to see if I had enough left to determine if it actually is a nudi or not, and was so distracted I forgot about the siphon hose, which slipped out of the tank, hitting me in the face and splashing water everywhere.

So that's how I ended up lying on the floor, in the dark, wearing nothing but a latex glove, holding a red solo cup and covered in saltwater at 1am.

But the goby was saved and the suspicious thing was removed so, in the end, victory is mine! (And lots of coral dipping is in my future, but whatever.)

Thanks AM!

I had another one of those nights last night where I completely forget why this hobby is a good idea.

A little after midnight, I woke up to banging and splashing from the general vicinity of the tank. I scrambled out of bed to grab a light and find out what's going on. Once again, the hi-fin goby was up in the corner by the overflow, flopping around and occasionally jumping out of the water and hitting the lights. Great. So I got out the turkey baster, chased him back to the front where his shrimp was waiting for him.

I shined the light around the rest of the tank to account for everybody. And then, I saw it, hiding under one of my monti frags. Bright white, tiny and nudibranch-shaped. GAH! So I try to suck it into the turkey baster, but it's not budging. I threw the baster out of the way, grabbed the nearest airline tube and a cup and decided to siphon it out and go back to sleep. But it wouldn't come off. Just would not budge. So I tried to scrape it off with the siphon, which only resulted in me knocking the frag off the rock. Crap.

Now it was on the bottom of the tank and I had used moisturizer on my hands, so I didn't want to just reach in there. So I grabbed a glove, knocking a bunch of stuff on the floor in the process, and attempted to put it on with one hand while I held the other hand above my head to prevent the siphon from breaking or overflowing the cup. Putting on a latex glove with one hand is not easy. Once I got it on, I went back to trying and failing to siphon the nudi off the frag. No luck. So I gave up and tried the tweezers.

About 5 minutes later, I've got the nudi (if that's what it was) in a cup, in about 8 pieces. I was looking at it with a flashlight, trying to see if I had enough left to determine if it actually is a nudi or not, and was so distracted I forgot about the siphon hose, which slipped out of the tank, hitting me in the face and splashing water everywhere.

So that's how I ended up lying on the floor, in the dark, wearing nothing but a latex glove, holding a red solo cup and covered in saltwater at 1am.

But the goby was saved and the suspicious thing was removed so, in the end, victory is mine! (And lots of coral dipping is in my future, but whatever.)

Wow that sucks sub :o but im really glad you got the nudi out....Do you know what species it was?

Wow that sucks sub :o but im really glad you got the nudi out....Do you know what species it was?

Can't say for sure, since I tore it up pretty bad. But it is not inconsistent with the monti eating nudis I'm seeing pics of online. So I'm just going to assume that's what it was and proceed accordingly.

The orange and pink caps I bought haven't been doing well at all, and the orange one has a bald spot int he middle. The purplish caps, which is what I found it on, are doing fine so far. So there has been some damage that might be caused by them...

iball - Less laundry? Not to mention the ability to add that extra layer of ridiculousness to absurd things that happen in the middle of the night...

iball - Less laundry? Not to mention the ability to add that extra layer of ridiculousness to absurd things that happen in the middle of the night...

Elaborate :);)

Archived