inTank Media Baskets

Sublunary's 12 Gallons - reborn

sublunary

Had time to take some pics today, nothing special, but need to get back in the habit.

Clown goby perching on the rock. Cyano is way better after a couple day of black out, but still not gone. none of that purple is coraline.

PC272839-1.jpg

The other clown goby's been suctioning to the front corner of the glass for some reason. It's his new spot.

PC272834-1.jpg

Hi fin goby is still chilling up front.

PC272829-1.jpg

This is one of three "micro porcelain crabs' I got from reef cleaners. These guys are a lot less micro than I expected! They are basically the same size as the white porcelain crab and much, much faster. I will be keeping these guys well fed to avoid any fish-napping. This one happened to up-end the acan he was crawling on..

PC272824-1.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That porcelain crab is not very micro at all! I thought they were filter feeders. Do they eat chunks of meat too? Those big claws look menacing!

That's a super cute shot of the hi fin goby too :)

The way the website described them, I thought they'd be half that size. Oh well. They are mostly filter feeders, but will grab meaty foods too. The white anemone crab I have is very slow - he goes after food like he's doing tai chi. The new guys are lightning fast, and they chase each other around like crazy. So far they haven't gone after anything, but I'm keeping my eye on them.

This is one of three "micro porcelain crabs' I got from reef cleaners. These guys are a lot less micro than I expected! They are basically the same size as the white porcelain crab and much, much faster. I will be keeping these guys well fed to avoid any fish-napping. This one happened to up-end the acan he was crawling on..

Yup, these are caribbean porcelains, mine used to fluff up my mushrooms and grab the nass snails. He routinely plays goal keeper for no reason, and he is enormous compared to my white anemone porcelain. So I call him dingbat.

I thought about getting one of the white anemone porcelains, but they seem so big and clumsy. Do you have trouble with that one up-ending coral?

I haven't had any problems with the white one. He sometimes sits on corals, probably trying to find an anemone-substitute, but doesn't stay long enough to bother them. I'd say he's a model tank inhabitant. And they don't get that huge - little over an inch elbow to elbow.

I haven't had any problems with the white one. He sometimes sits on corals, probably trying to find an anemone-substitute, but doesn't stay long enough to bother them. I'd say he's a model tank inhabitant. And they don't get that huge - little over an inch elbow to elbow.

That's good to know! I may reconsider getting one :)

Yup, these are caribbean porcelains, mine used to fluff up my mushrooms and grab the nass snails. He routinely plays goal keeper for no reason, and he is enormous compared to my white anemone porcelain. So I call him dingbat.

You know, I saw those posts about him and it never connected that I was ordering the same crabs... did dingbat end up getting banished from the tank he was in?

He's still in the BC. Hard to catch, he has not harmed anybody but he is huge and looks mean. For the most part he keeps to this one area under a ledge. My white anemone crab however is mauling the duncan to death. I have to move him.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a box of corals coming on Wednesday - I'm excited to finally have some more stuff in the tank. It's been looking pretty empty lately.

Originally, my boyfriend was going to take me coral shopping for christmas, but he decided to get me this instead:

P1032875-1.jpg

So when I haven't been oohing and ahhing over the hedgie, I've pretty much beaten back the red and black cyano problems in the tank. This green stuff however, refuses to be starved out and doesn't siphon well, so it's driving me slightly nuts.

P1052917-1.jpg

P1052916-1.jpg

The good part is, it spreads slowly and hasn't really expanded in a while. Sigh.

And while I didn't have a problem with filamentous algae, the porcelain anemone crab somehow ended up with an algae beard and toupee.

P1052894-1.jpg

Thankfully he molted yesterday and is all clean again.

On a less happy note, my hi fin goby has been MIA for about a week. I haven't seen the shrimp either, but hear him clicking. I'm hoping it's just a massive redecorating project, like when he disappeared the week after I got him. But I'm getting nervous and the boyfriend is ready to tear up all the rocks looking for him. I hope he's ok.

cute porcelain costume, and those yellow zoanthid look very lovely, what are they called?

My Yasha goby has not shown up in over a week either however I know he is alive, his cave has a spy hole, I shine a flashlight and see his red markings, sometimes an eye, sometimes a fin so I know he is alive in there.

and cute hedgehog! you should bring him to brunch. ha ha.

I don't know if the zoas have a name - they're one of the ones I picked up at MA for $7.

I wish I could use the tunnels like a spy hole - but they take a sharp turn about an inch in, so I can only see the very front. Foiled by a shrimp. <_<

I also wish I could bring the hedgehog to brunch, but he's still a baby and pretty skittish. I am definitely in danger of carrying him around in a purse when he grows up a bit - even though I utterly hate when women carry around their yippy dogs that way. I feel like the cuteness must be shared with everyone I know.

That hedgehog is ridiculously cute sub. I hope you find your goby i had the same scare with my bongo shrimp i hadnt seen him in over a week but he finally popped up yesterday so i handed him an asterina star and were buds again :happy:

Happy #1: I found my hi fin goby! He got into the back chamber and was hiding under my media basket. I didn't think there was room under there, so I'd never taken it out to check. He's back int he display now, hiding under the rocks somewhere.

Happy #2: I now own this:

P1112933-1.jpg

Plus a few more fun things. More pictures when things open up, and I remember how to set my white balance.

Yeah, fungia. Probably my favorite one I've ever seen. I've wanted one for a while, but my last scape didn't have enough exposed sandbed and I didn't want to pay $60 for a simple green one at the LFS.

Now with white balance:

P1112967-1.jpg

The dark stripes are actually more purple in real life.

I've added some more zoas;

P1112968-1.jpg

P1112969-1.jpg

and started a monti collection! Orange cap, green cap with blue polyps and purple edge, and blueish cap with pink polyps. one I accidentally fragged already - I knew they'd be brittle, didn't expect them to be that brittle. (Sorry for the glare - they're in a spot I can't seem to shoot without it.)

P1112973-1.jpg

I also got a two-headed duncan, which isn't completely open yet. And yesterday I picked up a little frogspawn. And a pom pom crab, because they're adorable. Soon I'll place one last order - I got a sealife inc gift certificate for christmas - and then it's sit back and watch things grow time.

I'm tired of waiting for the duncans to be photgenic. So, new FTS;

P1132998-1.jpg

This gives a nice representation of their color:

P1112980-1.jpg

Hi-fin goby is a bit shaken up, but back with her shrimp.

P1132984-1.jpg

And the pom pom is out and about. He is tiny! The thing he's standing in front of is less than an inch wide.

P1132982-1.jpg

Thanks AM. He is a lot of fun so far. He just has an unfortunate habit of jumping off of things and landing on his head... And then I go to catch him and get a palm full of spikes. <_<

And picture. My white porcelain crab has started hanging out on my gorgonian, which is wobbly, but apparently more fun than the rocks.

P1153024-1.jpg

It looks very good, the type of good Kat had with her biocube. The beautiful and diverse type of good :)

I like the black clown gobies, super cute hedgehog to!

Thanks gena!

and thanks 6 gallon - I love how full of life Kat's biocube is - I can only hope to get to that point with this tank. Do you have a thread for your new tank? I'd love to see yours.

I had a very traumatizing night last night. Shortly after I went to bed, I heard an odd splash. went to investigate and my hi fin goby was stuck to the intake part of the surface skimmer. I freaked out, turned the pumps off, and he swam to the bottom and stared at me for 10 minutes.

I decided he was breathing ok, and it was late, so I turned the pumps back on, stuffed some filter floss in the surface skimmer to lessen the pull, and went to bed.

30 minutes later, there's another splash, and he's in the corner by the surface skimmer, wriggling like he's trying to get into it. He's not gasping at the surface like he needs more oxygen. He just would not leave that corner until I chased him into his hole with a net.

So now my worry is, was he trying to get to my fuge light? I run my chaeto lights opposite the display and there is a bit of light leakage at night. I'm pretty sure I finally set it up right before the goby took his last trip tot he back chambers. Think I should stop running it at night?

Archived