Cultivated Reef

The Oceanarium Project: Imaginarium

Deckoz2302

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well...i dont know, I got home and he was halfway in, but the maxi is at the top of the rockwork...

and ive never had a floating dead fish...mine always sink >.< had to of been an accident because the maxi extends against the glass blocking part of the rockwork...i dunno... bleh

Don't get me wrong - a healthy strong fish will get away however this maxi is nearly 6 inches when fully expanded and the mandarin was....damn im starting to hate expensive fish...but love them ...damnit

jedimasterben
Ug

Makes me wanna get rid of my maxi mini before I get my scooter blenny :scarry:

I kept a 2.5" scooter with a 8" sebae nem, a mini-maxi, and a bubble tip, and he's still kickin'. I only say "kept" because they are in different tanks for the time being.

Ya it is totally heart breaking. The biggest killer was losing my flame trio. Though I'm one of those reefers that is past the hump of it just being a hobby but more of a "passion"/obsession. Lol

So you won't see me give up anytime soon. I've even started a second nano in my room and should be wet in 3-4 days. Already have a bin next to my bed full of cycled rock and water. Just need to order new LEDs for the lights. I have plenty of left over heatsinks to build with but want to add a varieted color spectrum like decko has. But just like my previous build it will have angled heat sinks and a unique looking light case.

Yeah I am over that hump now too! Back then I didn't have the time to try it again I was just broken, so now I chose what goes in the tank not him! :P

My maxi is eating my mandarin....

:o

OMG no not cool, I am so sorry.

:tears:

Oh no! I'm sorry about the mandarin! I've been eyeing up mandarins but I'm not sure with my BTA and mini minis. My green clown goby has been fine but that's no guarantee. I'd be heartbroken if I lost a mandarin. They are just awesome little guys. :cry:

jedimasterben

i have never seen a healthy fish fall prey to a nem (except for a guppy, but thats only because it had never been in that much flow before and exhausted itself), even slow-moving mandarins and other dragonets.

still, sucks hardcore, man. Sympathies.

Lol this past month has been not so good for livestock it seems.....

Rip - clam pinch

Rip - mandarin maxi food

Rip - one maxi, removed the rock and didn't realized it detached when I was rearranging - vortech ate it

Rip - purple rain bubble unhealthy from shipping

rip - puple rain bubble walked into the pistol den

Rip - green and red monti eaten by purple monti

Probably 500 in livestock and the poor loss of lives. Still holding steady params though. Meh. Not looking forward to the week away as far as the tank is concerned ;/

Meh it is what it is you know. Nothing I could of done short of tearing.g the tank apart to get it and icing its foot.

Lol this past month has been not so good for livestock it seems.....

Rip - clam pinch

Rip - mandarin maxi food

Rip - one maxi, removed the rock and didn't realized it detached when I was rearranging - vortech ate it

Probably 500 in livestock and the poor loss of lives. Still holding steady params though. Meh. Not looking forward to the week away as far as the tank is concerned ;/

Sorry to hear about the losses. Don't tell me it was the clam in your avatar?? And sucks that the nem walked into the pump? I know the rumor is to let it roam and it will settle down but there are ways to help avoid it from moving in the first place.

The nem was a 1inch maxi mini it floated into it a few seconds after I placed the rock in the tank. And yea the clam was my pink maxima in my avatar...I'll never find another pink clam...and I'll also probably never use GFO again while housing a clam. I had another in depth discussion like our PH discussion a while back with wombat in relation to iron and the protozoa perkinsis.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...49459&st=40

Losses always suck but what can you do.

Maybe Gena who know. I'm just gonna let it go ya know. I can't do anything now. Mandarins just aren't meant for me...even feeding it twice a day. And two fuges I dropped pods in weekly from my cultures it didn't help him fatten up. In general I'm surprised he lasted 5 months - however no lfs around her would have been able to Support him and all the local reefers are either nano like me or have aggressive reefs

surgicalsense
Rip - clam pinch

Rip - mandarin maxi food

... the inventory list of death :o

Sorry ... circle of life sucks. Except when they are doing stupid things like the vortech suicide and pistol den of horrors ;) ... it reminds me when I have to explain to my bf, when of his FW dies what their tiny life expectancy are like.

Lol yea true....hey on a diff note though...my fromia is 2 months 2 weeks 4 days in my tank...and my pistol was a hit hiker year ago...and all my sexiest and pom poms are still shakin ass around the tank lol...along with my hermits and all of my snails....

3months no water change...and ####s still kicking...my feather dusters in the sump are the size of my palm now....

Basically I know its not a toxin cause all my inverts and corals are still growing like weeds. Which is why I'm not gonna stay upset. I am dreading my move though.....and how I'm gonna get my assessor and helfrich caught cause they live in the rock

surgicalsense
Lol yea true....hey on a diff note though...my fromia is 2 months 2 weeks 4 days in my tank...and my pistol was a hit hiker year ago...and all my sexiest and pom poms are still shakin ass around the tank lol...along with my hermits and all of my snails....

3months no water change...and ####s still kicking...my feather dusters in the sump are the size of my palm now....

Basically I know its not a toxin cause all my inverts and corals are still growing like weeds. Which is why I'm not gonna stay upset. I am dreading my move though.....and how I'm gonna get my assessor and helfrich caught cause they live in the rock

:lockdown: ... Yeah, you have a lock down on this tank. Sweet, now that is what I am talking about! Now that is what my goal is suppose to be.

When I had my skimmer in, it was 3 weeks the most with out a WC. But I wasn't completely comfortable yet with my skimmer, plus I pulled it out several months ago. I will deal with rebreaking it in when I move with the new mixed water instead. It is a gut feeling I have. I only feed once a week now too. I am especting a bit of die off when I transport, so I am sure I will have a months period of reestablishing the tank completely. But I know everyone will make the move soundly. I think your will do exactly the same.

surgicalsense
It was totally the specimen(s) with the issue and nothing you have done wrong. Your tank is a testament to that :flower:

Agreed 1000% ;)

... have a beer with lunch and chill. Side note and kinda off topic! Yeah, tide report is awesome!!! My bf wished I would play hooky from work. Surf is low and sweet for boogie boarding :D , but we have way to much drama that unfolded here in my office in the last 24 :angry: so I have to be the good operator and stand my post <_<

Agreed 1000% ;)

... have a beer with lunch and chill. Side note and kinda off topic! Yeah, tide report is awesome!!! My bf wished I would play hooky from work. Surf is low and sweet for boogie boarding :D , but we have way to much drama that unfolded here in my office in the last 24 :angry: so I have to be the good operator and stand my post <_<

Are you going boogie boarding this weekend???? Maybe we could meet up with you guys. We can talk about it tonight :)

Sorry for the OT Brad.

Oh and I bet Brit will do a fantastic job of babysitting the tank while you're gone. My husband did it for me when I was gone for 3 weeks last summer.

The nem was a 1inch maxi mini it floated into it a few seconds after I placed the rock in the tank. And yea the clam was my pink maxima in my avatar...I'll never find another pink clam...and I'll also probably never use GFO again while housing a clam. I had another in depth discussion like our PH discussion a while back with wombat in relation to iron and the protozoa perkinsis.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...49459&st=40

Losses always suck but what can you do.

It's been a while since I heard anythig about iron and clams. I have had clams and gfo/rowaphos with clams in the tank(not this moment but before) I would have numerous macros algae/plants to absorb excess iron. If you test too high of iron when using gfo a good idea is go add sargasso seaweed as it absorbs iron at a very fast rate reducing the iron concentration in the water. Which was probably why, I didn't have any problems with both together. Just an idea/theory.

Archived