Pod Your Reef

Driftys' Nuvo8 AIO

driftsaru

Current FTS 11/20/2011 (in the new nuvo8)

052c8b4c.jpg

11/01/2011

ce9af5b5.jpg

9/3/2011

97e2f7d2.jpg

INTRO:

Hello guys and gals!

As some of you may know i am in the process of moving my 20L to my AA 24x20 shallow reef. The 20L was in my girlfriends house, and she couldnt part with the marine tank hobbie. After some consideration, I got her the Nuvo 8 from Innovative marine for her desk top! I will transfer as much from my 20L as possible to this little tank.

TANK:

Innovative Marine Nuvo8 AIO

LIGHTING:

Innovative Marine Skkye Light LED

Here are some photos of the setup:

626b4a9e.jpg

63c1ad04.jpg

LED shot, for 8w they sure are bright!

af67f1fc.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o

Wow! I'm surprised someone has bought one already!

If you dont mind, as time goes on do a detailed review on how you like the system.

But for now... Any first impression thoughts? Build quality? Pump strength? Ease of maintenance/back chamber area?

:o

Wow! I'm surprised someone has bought one already!

If you dont mind, as time goes on do a detailed review on how you like the system.

But for now... Any first impression thoughts? Build quality? Pump strength? Ease of maintenance/back chamber area?

Sure, no problem!

As of right now, out of the box the tank seemed very promising.

Pros:

The craftsmanship on the glass and silicone is pretty good. The light is also very sleek, and shows good promise for low light and maybe some medium light corals. Another thing I liked was the designated baffle for a heater. Lastly, there is a lot of space in the third compartment to add a fuge or possibly a small skimmer.

Cons:

My only gripe is the stock media basket probably would not meet demands of most reefers. StevieT you definitely have another niche group to cater to, it is fairly small and made out of cheesy material. Also, the return pump will also be considered for upgrade as its current GPH is under 100.

For the aquascape, the girlfriend decided this was what she likes best .

97e2f7d2.jpg

any thoughts? personally I would like to add a piece at the base of the front left side.

Nice start :) I'm thinking of getting either one of these or a 4 gallon myself. Do you think you could post a shot of the tank next to something for size reference? Sheet of looseleaf, 3 ring binder, DVD case, something like that? I want one for my desk but don't want it too big!

Nice start :) I'm thinking of getting either one of these or a 4 gallon myself. Do you think you could post a shot of the tank next to something for size reference? Sheet of looseleaf, 3 ring binder, DVD case, something like that? I want one for my desk but don't want it too big!

will do!.....it is my g/fs tank so it'll have to wait until around Thursday =/

can that light keep anything?

low-medium light corals. i will test this in the weeks ahead. A rep claimed it could handle SMALL clams....

low-medium light corals. i will test this in the weeks ahead. A rep claimed it could handle SMALL clams....

... as opposed to large clams? lol

Sweet tank. I like the looks of it a lot. If you ever do upgrade the lighting a single par 38 would do perfect for this tank.

On a side note did you ever get your skimmed stuff figured out?

I couldn't believe he said that about the clams. I did look into it and square D is right, smaller clams depend more on filter feeding, BUT still need high light.

As for the skimmer, the pump has 6 mo warranty. I spoke with the swc owner ( I think). He informed me that alot of people in larger US cities have issues due to the power not being a true 120v, more so 110v. He said that it causes the pump to struggle turning on. His solution was to cut the mesh wheel impeller about 1-2mm , gimping the over all performance by 20%. His solutions didn't solve anything ... The pump ran for less than 5 min and turned off completely and would not restart. He said to go ahead and ship him back the pump, what for? To lose $ to a carrier and customs? All I would get is the same pump that doesn't work properly with US power supplies. Couldn't they have tested for that in the prototype ?

My fault for not getting a reef octo. If you're interested in the SWC skimmers check your outlet voltage to see if it is 120, If not stay clear of this brand.

Cloudburst2000

I just bought the 16g version of this tank over the weekend. And I got it in the white instead of the black. The rep didn't try to tell me the light could handle clams though :lol: He told me that I should be able to keep the corals I have in my 12g nanocube under the the PCs under the LED light. He said the LEDs were a bit better than the PCs but not a huge amount of difference. We shall see. Under the PCs, I have a nice bubble coral, a nice frogspawn, xenia, anthelia, mushrooms, etc. According to the rep, they should do okay with the LEDs since they are a bit stronger than my current PCs. I will likely upgrade the LEDs in the future anyway. And those LEDs that come with the tank would make excellent fuge lighting for my Elos Midi.

It's an entry lvl light, I doubt they were targeting the high light SPS junkies with this AIO. I will be looking for an upgrade since I'm certain my girlfriend will want to keep a pink birdsnest and purple monti cap.

Cloudburst2000
It's an entry lvl light, I doubt they were targeting the high light SPS junkies with this AIO. I will be looking for an upgrade since I'm certain my girlfriend will want to keep a pink birdsnest and purple monti cap.

Yep, good thing I'm not planning on keeping SPS in this tank. That's what my Elos is for.

BoostLED Par30 would be absolutely perfect, black clamp and bulb to go with the slick black tank!

It's my top pick ATM !

6 days into the cycle:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: less than 5ppm

I used all LR from my 20L, about 1L of water from my 20L as well,the rest was a newly mixed batch, and the sand was dry from a new bag.

i can barely see some diatoms, but you have to really look at a spot for a while to notice them.

...call me a newb, its been a while since I ve started a new tank from a cycle, but where am I at so far..

it doesnt seem right to already be WC time less than a week into the cycle given the sub 8g water volume this AIO has..... :huh:

I did a WC, all nutrients check out!

I'm wondering if I should transfer some corals over from the 20L. . . .

Just pick up this tank in white last week, should be delivered by Wednesday. Upgrading a 5 gal. Will be following this thread.

How is the flow with the stock return pump? I might upgrade that first thing. I will also have a korila nano in there as well.

Archived