Cultivated Reef

Mr. M's Microscopy of the Reef, FlowerMama's Dinos! #303

Mr. Microscope

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
TheUnfocusedOne

So are your sputter coating your samples or are they able to withstand high mag?

Generally curious, I usually work with polymers which melt at high magnifications (its really cool to watch). I would think stuff like the diatoms might melt or explode (seen stuff 'splode too).

Mr. Microscope
So are your sputter coating your samples or are they able to withstand high mag?

Generally curious, I usually work with polymers which melt at high magnifications (its really cool to watch). I would think stuff like the diatoms might melt or explode (seen stuff 'splode too).

For these samples I used an Osmuim coater because of all the nooks and crannies, but for normal SEM samples, yes. I sputter them with Au, Au+Pt, Pt+Pd, or something like that.

I work with polymers too. They can be frustrating, especially in TEM. The beam practically shoots right through them if you forget to put in the Objective aperture. Even with, they sometime undergo considerable beam damage.

bump for more cool pics

I took some cool light microscopy shots of a feather duster the other day. I wanted to find an copepod to enter into the contest, but no luck. Gonna post those soon. I also had a branching monti RTN on me. So, I have that one ready for SEM imaging perhaps later this week if I have time.

Deleted User 6
For these samples I used an Osmuim coater because of all the nooks and crannies, but for normal SEM samples, yes. I sputter them with Au, Au+Pt, Pt+Pd, or something like that.

I work with polymers too. They can be frustrating, especially in TEM. The beam practically shoots right through them if you forget to put in the Objective aperture. Even with, they sometime undergo considerable beam damage.

nerrrrrrd

Mr. Microscope

Light Microscopy of Feather Duster Worm

Hello All!

Well I put another piece of chaetomorpha under the microscope. This time I had intended to look for copepods to enter into the NR Image Contest. No luck. Instead, I happened upon this beautiful baby feather duster worm or, "Sabellidae" for those that want the scientific name.

Enjoy!

image0025A.jpg

image0019A.jpg

image0008A.jpg

image0016A.jpg

image0032A.jpg

image0050A.jpg

All this was not very easy to capture since this thing was wiggling around all over the place. For every in-focus image I took, there were probably ten that had blurry movement in them.

featherduster01.gif

Coming soo...SEM of Montipora Digitata. Stay tuned!

Deleted User 6

pfft, i can do that with my iphone. SHOW ME SOMETHING REAL MR. MICROFACE.

jk that's cool.

also, i had one of those dusters once:

603856920_Bvuxk-L.jpg

Mr. Microscope
pfft, i can do that with my iphone. SHOW ME SOMETHING REAL MR. MICROFACE.

jk that's cool.

also, i had one of those dusters once:

603856920_Bvuxk-L.jpg

Nice shot! Wow!

Rabidgerbil38

Awesome stuff man, I just got to use a stereo light microscope for my Bio lab and it was awesome. Very trippy stuff when you can see magnified 3d :lol:

Mr. Microscope

Scanning Electron Microscopy of Montipora Digitata

Hello All,

As I mentioned before, I recently lost a digi frag to RTN. I had an extra couple minutes left over after looking at a sample for work. So, I grabbed a few images of this interesting SPS.

Here is an image of the original frag. I was really sad to lose it since it had such amazing color. The polyps were bright red-orange and the flesh ranged from banana yellow to almost sky blue.

Monti20111007B.jpg

The skeleton has some interesting structure:

File24Asmall.jpg

File28Asmall.jpg

File30Asmall.jpg

Here's where a polyp would come from:

File25Asmall.jpg

And the tip of one of those tines from the polyp area:

File26Bsmall.jpg

I zoomed in a bit on the crystal structure of the skeleton (from about the middle of the above pic):

File27Asmall.jpg

Here's another area of the skeleton that I zoomed in on. There are some very different structures here:

File32Asmall.jpg

Check out these spherical features I found. ...who'd of guessed?

File31Asmall.jpg

Sample prep on this sample was similar to the pocillopora sample. Images were acquired on a Hitachi 4800 Field Emission Gun SEM.

I'm thinking about perhaps doing oyster eggs or phyto next. Stay tuned!

i love this thread! its amazing to thing how infinitely big the universe is, and how its infinitely small too.

my brain melts when i try to grasp that concept

great shots Mr Micro!

Very cool! It's interesting how porous the structure is up close.

You might consider viewing sponge spicules, which, like skeletons for SPS corals, are often the only way to distinguish species.

I'm a graduate student in Materials Science and Engineering, so I'm pretty familiar with SEM and TEM, but I've never thought to stick coral in one. So cool. I used to work on biomimetic mineralization, so seeing the calcium carbonate crystal structure in these is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Are you a graduate student or a tech that works with the microscopes? Also, out of curiosity, what kind of samples do you normally look at?

Archived